PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite workout program and why?

zedhed
09-22-2012, 11:50 AM
For me my fall back program is the SL 5x5...like you all dont all ready know that.
But it really the best that I have found for adding strength and size. Of course you really have to feed this program ( and any of this type) to get the full benefit from it.

Its a simple progressive program. Decide your starting weight, lighter is ALLWAYS better. That way you most likely wont have to reset midway thru it. And then just add 5 Lbs to every excersize every week.

Here is the program.

Workout A
BBL Squats
BBL Flat Bench Press
BBL Bent Over Rowes

Workout B
BBL Squat
BBL Dead Lift
BBL OHP

You do this 3 days per week and thats all you do!
Some guys will say "its not enought" Well I can tell you then that these guys have never done the program. At first it is too light so you just do more sets. But believe me when you get roughly half way thru the 12 weeks it starts to get heavy.

Well thats mine so whats yours?
And dont just put a progarm, discuss it plz.:cool:

Skyling35
09-22-2012, 12:49 PM
For me with mma I have never found a program that benefitted me in my sport without altering it.

I'm probably closest to a 5x5 program though because I normally only do Olympic lifts. I don't do exactly a 5x5. It's a hard balance to strike between not adding to much size and weight, and adding lots of strength.

zedhed
09-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah I am close with another MA guy too. What set and rep range you typically use bro? I would guess +12 on reps. Pretty much like boxers use.
I like your idea of using Oly lifts. I think you have that nailed very well as for best cross over from your lifting to your sport.

Skyling35
09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah I am close with another MA guy too. What set and rep range you typically use bro? I would guess +12 on reps. Pretty much like boxers use.
I like your idea of using Oly lifts. I think you have that nailed very well as for best cross over from your lifting to your sport.

Rep range for me depends on wether if I feel I need to add more strength at the beginning of a training cycle. If I do I will start the first 3 weeks at 6 reps and after that move to the higher rep ranges going 12-15. When I'm not prepping for a fight I stick with higher reps.

Olympic lifts deffinently done a lot for me giving me strength and power from odd angles. Not to mention the Olympic lifts seemed to make me not just strong but even more explosive.

I'll also dabble with free weights and kettle bells between my lifting days. I use these more for muscle endurance. Something I've been wanting to give a shot for muscular endurance is the ASU plate weight workout. I have a feeling it will leave me puking lol.

darksidefitness
09-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Anybody use 5/3/1?

zedhed
09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah I dont know much about 5/3/1. Hopefully someone will put something up about it.

layddually
09-23-2012, 08:30 PM
5x5 is interesting but I kinda feel I need to add a few ISO movements to it

zedhed
09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah I agree for intermediate lifters and advanced. I add in biceps and triceps iso's. 2 of each.

malaki26
09-27-2012, 09:32 PM
i'm either going to give this a shot on monday or wait untill the following monday, but im deffinately stoaked about it.

layddually
10-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Anyone have a light weight mass builder?

zedhed
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
LOL as a matter of fact I do...but, IMO you need to have the foundation of good strength to get decent gains from any "light weight" mass program.
Will put it up for you in a bit bro.
<<<<<<<man I just love lookin at those!:cool:

layddually
10-04-2012, 11:36 AM
LOL as a matter of fact I do...but, IMO you need to have the foundation of good strength to get decent gains from any "light weight" mass program.
Will put it up for you in a bit bro.
<<<<<<<man I just love lookin at those!:cool:

Cool I'm just afraid I will push to heavy for my injuries. So if I could find a light weight routine that works that would be great.

10-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Anything Arnold did

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
My favorite program is my own. It's a combination of Powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting. I work the fast and slow lifts. It's also mostly compound movements and I perform everything from singles to sets of 7-8reps.

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Anybody use 5/3/1?

I don't use it but I know it well. What would you like to know about it. If you're new to lifting and you want size and strength I suggest Wendler's BBB (Big But Boring) Routine.

Ironguruera
10-06-2012, 12:58 AM
I made all my own routines. I've combined all the stuff I like and that works well for my body type.

I like giant sets, drop sets, rest pause. I have my favorite exercises and simply rotate them when they get stale or someone is using what i wanted that day equipment wise.

I use some of girondas stuff, Larry Scott's, positions of flexion.

I usually try to keep it around 8-12 reps. 2-4 sets per exercise. Depends on my energy level for the day.

I go by bio-feedback.

zedhed
10-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Hey SisterSteele loving that avi!

Lad like I said my fall back is the SL 5x5. After running thru that 2x this is what I do. This workout gives me an extra Back/Traps session cuz I happen to like that blown up traps look and this really does it for me.

Mon Back/Traps
Bent over BBL Row@45° 4x12
Bent over single arm DBL Row@90° 3x10
Hang Cleans if your shoulders are good, if not then do Upright BBL Rows narrow grip, med grip, wide grip. 4x10
Seated Dbl Shrugs 4x10

Tue Chest/Tries
Inc Flys cuz I cant bench any more (shoulder) 6x10
Dbl Chicken Press see on Scoobys site. 5x10
Dbl Kick Backs, Alt each week with French Press 5x12

Wed OFF

Thur Back/Traps
Pull Ups 5x10 or 50 any way I can get em.LOL...
BBL (EZ bar) Pull over 5x10

Fri Quads/Hams
Fr Squats alt each week with Back (Power) Squat 4x15-20
Leg Curl alt each week with SLDL 4x15-20

Sat Shoulders/Biceps
Super Set Dbl Side Lat Raise//Wide Grip BBL Upright Row 3x12 ea
Dbl Curls alt each week with EZ bar Bbl drag curls 5x10 ea.

Do all of that on a 2 second count both up and down.
That works very well for me
Let us know how it works for you if you decide to go with it.

Ironguruera
10-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Zed my hormones are far to high to be responsible when I see your avatar lmao.

I'm to lazy to type out all what I do on my phone. I'm off to capping bcaa lol.

Vicious 13
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I want to try this 5x5 or the Bbb

zedhed
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
You pretty much cant go wrong on the SL 5x5 bro. IMO.

LOL I hear you Iron...me too! And then Sister had that rockin hot avi too...

SisterSteel
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey SisterSteele loving that avi!

Thanks Zed. I think I have a new pic I'll post up soon of me.

5x5 is a tried and true program.

I'll be posting my program in the training journal section soon. Mine is a combination many different programs as well as my own ideas. In nutshell it's:

MONDAY: Pull Day~ Snatch, Pull, etc

WEDNESDAY: Push Day~ Clean, Push Press, etc

FRIDAY: Leg Day~ Back Squat, Front Squat, etc

My assisting lifts are rotated every 8 weeks and of course for now my program is designed to help my BJJ.

SisterSteel
10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I want to try this 5x5 or the Bbb

BBB is a great beginning strength training program.

Ecto
10-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I've been doing 5x5 for awhile. Starting tomorrow I'm going to do some 5/3/1 with BBB assistance work, 4 days a week. I'm looking forward to it. little switch up now and then doesn't hurt. I'm already doing the same lifts anyway, but just 3 days a week. So i'll add a day and concentrate basically on a single lift with a single assistance lift. Simple but effective. I like Boring.

Ecto
10-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Holy Smokes. The assistance work will kick your ass for sure even though it's only 50%. damn this is awesome and brutal all at the same time.

layddually
10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
I may go back to 5x5 for a while or try bbb. One of my biggest problems is I can lift way more than my joints and broken parts can handle. So I don't know where to stop.

zedhed
10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Would like that SS and your welcome. Sounds like a good program am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

malaki26
10-09-2012, 10:58 PM
im 3 weeks into SL 5x5 and liking it so far. i add a couple iso moves after im done for now.

zedhed
10-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Well hell bro dont just tell us....lay it out for us bro!

Fuelfan
10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
I've been doing Dorian Yeates Blood and Guts workouts and I really like it. I have grown allot since doing his workouts but to do it right it does require you to workout with a good motivating partner. I've been working out with a kid 20 years younger than I am for the past few months and it's pushed me way past where I ever thought I'd get. Weighed in last night @ 241lbs @ 8% and i'm 5' 10 and 42 years old!

Fuelfan
10-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Ok....almost 5'10"!

zedhed
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Daym bro..Rock On man. You doing gr8!

Dozer
10-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Anyone try sling shot training by Ronnie Rowland

zedhed
10-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Explain it plz bro.

Dozer
10-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Honestly better off giving you a link. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?348723-The-Slingshot-Training-System#.UHsocIl5mc1

zedhed
10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Cool,
thanks bro!

Colstreamer
05-25-2013, 10:03 AM
So far my favourite routine has been a simple 4 day split
Monday chest
Tuesday back
Wednesday rest
Thursday legs
Friday shoulders

3-4 exercises per body part with around 5 sets of 5-8 reps not including warm up sets.
This set up has worked really well for me packing on size and strength combined with a massive food intake of course! I rarely use isolation movements so all the exercises were heavy compound movements and I know many people say it's a bad idea but I always did squat and deadlift on leg day as well as clean & jerk and leg press, leg press always last to just burn the fuck outa my legs and squeeze the list out've the workout. :D

I've been itching to try SL 5x5 but as I'm training for a MA tournament I've tried to tailor my training towards that. And due to my financial situation I've had to choose between gym membership and martial arts training. So at the moment the majority of my training is cardio, I do push ups, pull ups and weighted and non weighted squats although my weighted squats are having my girlfriend on my back while I do em ;) I considered push ups with her on my back but I'm really aiming at speed and stamina rather than strength ATM. My strength isn't what it was but I still try handstand push ups against a wall, IMO that's a great delt exercise, they get easier as you get lighter and harder as you put on weight (duh!) and combining them with regular ohp I've reached 91kg (198lbs) ohp which I was very pleased with.

Colstreamer
05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
For me with mma I have never found a program that benefitted me in my sport without altering it.

I'm probably closest to a 5x5 program though because I normally only do Olympic lifts. I don't do exactly a 5x5. It's a hard balance to strike between not adding to much size and weight, and adding lots of strength.

I assume you have a weight to stay under? I've almost always been heavyweight so meeting a target weight was never a problem but I've found at 110kg (242lbs) I don't have the stamina I need and I only do 3-5x2 minute rounds (usually 3 but finals are 5) last year I dropped from 109kg (239.8lbs) down to 102kg (224.4lbs) and my stamina rocketed.

zedhed
05-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Now when you do your workouts at home wear a backpack filled with enough weight to make that 109kg!

Colstreamer
05-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Now when you do your workouts at home wear a backpack filled with enough weight to make that 109kg!

Great plan bro! I do sometimes train with a camel back (back pack with water bag and drinking tube) with a couple of extra weights inside. I've been thinking about getting a weighted vest too. I also use a 1/2lb sand bag inside each of my 16oz bag gloves for hitting the bag and I have 1lb ankle weights for kicking but I don't use em all the time ;)

PS I weighed myself yesterday and I was 101kg (222.2lbs)

zedhed
05-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Sounds good bro. Be sure and do your Met Cons weighted! You can thank me later...
Im hitting 228. Lightest Ive been in I dont know how long. And leanest too.:cool: