PDA

View Full Version : Any Jits'rs here...

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Anyone else here train or compete in Brazilian Jiu - Jitsu? If you do where do you train? Do you train Gi or No Gi?

And for those of you who don't, maybe rolling around with me would get you motivated to try BJJ.

Vicious 13
10-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I train at Gracie Barra I train both gi and no gi and compete whenever I get a chance

Skyling35
10-05-2012, 11:34 PM
This guy right here. No gi exclusively so far have always felt that it translated best to mma and put my focus there. Haven't competed in about a year but will again at some point.

Vicious 13
10-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Nothing like being choked with your own gi or swept by your belt :)

Skyling35
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Nothing like being choked with your own gi or swept by your belt :)

Yep another set of tools to work with no doubt. Good thing there's no shirts in mma and grab the shorts can end up being a point lol

I'll probably start working in a gi at some point.

CWB
10-06-2012, 12:36 PM
It took reading these posts to remember what a gi is. I remember going to a karate summer camp at 7 or 8 years old. At the end they gave out all kinds of awards to the kids. Unfortunately my award was for dirtiest gi. Im guessing I spent most of the time getting my ass kicked and rolling around in the dirt. Sorry for going off topic this just brought up some old memories for me.

SisterSteel
10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I train at Gracie Barra I train both gi and no gi and compete whenever I get a chance

What's the next tournament you're thinking of competing in? European's, Pan's, Worlds,...???

This guy right here. No gi exclusively so far have always felt that it translated best to mma and put my focus there. Haven't competed in about a year but will again at some point.

No Gi Worlds is in a month (thereabouts).

kazman68
10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
What's the next tournament you're thinking of competing in? European's, Pan's, Worlds,...???

I trained with Benny Meng he didn't teach jj per say but his own style of self defense, striking,kicks,grappling, holds...I would describe it as a mix of kung-fu/tae kwon do and jj. He is world renowned one hell of a shifu. I would say rolling with you Sister would be a once in a lifetime experience. :) I would like to have some direct jj training it is such an effective form of ma, usually when a guy is on top of you, you think your done,but jjers are so strong on their back. I could say something else but I will stop myself :)

Skyling35
10-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Probably wont be looking for a tournament till the spring. In the process of getting ready to move and saving to move so unfortunately I won't be training mma or bjj till January but I've already got a sick gym lined up and will be back in the thick of it before long.

Not sure my jiu jitsu is quite on the level of the worlds yet I've done a naga and a Europa that had damn tough competition.

kazman68
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Probably wont be looking for a tournament till the spring. In the process of getting ready to move and saving to move so unfortunately I won't be training mma or bjj till January but I've already got a sick gym lined up and will be back in the thick of it before long.

Not sure my jiu jitsu is quite on the level of the worlds yet I've done a naga and a Europa that had damn tough competition.

When you do compete best of luck bro...

Vicious 13
10-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I will be at worlds and pan I train under Tom reusing 3 time pan am champ last year at worlds Rose was talking about testing competitors so I need to look into that

Lunchbox
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I played Judo and Kendo for many years but stopped when I left Houston. Looked into some dojo's here in DFW but nothing was up to the type of environment I was used to.

Skyling35
10-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I played Judo and Kendo for many years but stopped when I left Houston. Looked into some dojo's here in DFW but nothing was up to the type of environment I was used to.

10th planet jiu jitsu has a nice gym there and I do believe they have a few tooke jiu jitsu gyms. Travis tooke has some excellent coaches in his school networks just as 10th planet does.

SisterSteel
10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I will be at worlds and pan I train under Tom reusing 3 time pan am champ last year at worlds Rose was talking about testing competitors so I need to look into that

They'll never test the competitors at any IBJJF tourneys.

layddually
10-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Anyone else here train or compete in Brazilian Jiu - Jitsu? If you do where do you train? Do you train Gi or No Gi?

And for those of you who don't, maybe rolling around with me would get you motivated to try BJJ.

Never done it but willing to roll around with you to see if I like it.

Vicious 13
10-08-2012, 11:27 PM
I have a hard time rolling w girls in all honesty I go easy and it's too easy I go hard and hurt them then everyone thinks your an asshole

SisterSteel
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a hard time rolling w girls in all honesty I go easy and it's too easy I go hard and hurt them then everyone thinks your an asshole

So do I which is why I roll with men. Girls are just to fragile for me.

SisterSteel
10-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Thought I'd post a pic from one of my matches in the absolute at Masters Worlds. I won with a belly down arm bar.

kazman68
10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Thought I'd post a pic from one of my matches in the absolute at Masters Worlds. I won with a belly down arm bar.

Very nice, like I said you have a lot of accomplishments under your belt, you should be very proud!

P.S. I can see those calves popping under your gi.

red crayon
10-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Sadly I live in an area that doesnt have anything like that available. On the up side when I was in the Air Force I did train in Kuk Sool Won. I had to, the Air Force didnt teach you any self defence. I used it in a real fight several times and it worked great! Im sure, from what I have seen, it doesnt compare to BJJ.

SisterSteel
10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Very nice, like I said you have a lot of accomplishments under your belt, you should be very proud!

P.S. I can see those calves popping under your gi.

You got a little taste of what's under... lol

Thanks kazman. I'm always working on improving/pushing myself and competition is the easiest way to see if what I'm doing is working. I'm also a very competitive person by nature so I'm always looking for the next tourney to compete in.

SisterSteel
10-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Never done it but willing to roll around with you to see if I like it.

Well c'mon down. I promise I'll be gentle with you since it's your first time. lol

Fredrik
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Good luck man

Fuelfan
01-16-2013, 05:25 PM

I lift at Rulon Gardners Elite Training Facility and tug free do that kind of stuff there but I don't do any of that, i'm to fragile. Sister I will roll around with you for a while and let you beat the shit out of me as long as you don't kick me with one of those wheels of yours!

SisterSteel
01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
I lift at Rulon Gardners Elite Training Facility and tug free do that kind of stuff there but I don't do any of that, i'm to fragile. Sister I will roll around with you for a while and let you beat the shit out of me as long as you don't kick me with one of those wheels of yours!

Sounds good to me. ;)

Negao
02-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Is this thread too old for me to reply in?

I'm a Carlson Gracie Sr. purple belt, trained in Brazil with my cousin who is a black belt for a while. I've competed in both Gi and No Gi competition. Nothing like a pendulum sweep to turn the tide and get a fast, solid armbar!

SisterSteel
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Is this thread too old for me to reply in?

I'm a Carlson Gracie Sr. purple belt, trained in Brazil with my cousin who is a black belt for a while. I've competed in both Gi and No Gi competition. Nothing like a pendulum sweep to turn the tide and get a fast, solid armbar!

Never too late to reply to this thread.

Very cool Negao. Are you planning on competing this year?

SisterSteel
02-09-2013, 11:49 PM

I wouldn't kick ya but I might whisper sweet nothings in your ear when I take you back. ;)

Negao
02-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Never too late to reply to this thread.

Very cool Negao. Are you planning on competing this year?

2 years ago I suffered a pretty bad rotator cuff injury, so I began coaching. Now I have a focus in bodybuilding and building up every part of the physique.

HOWEVER... you may run into me at the Pan Ams next year!

SisterSteel
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
2 years ago I suffered a pretty bad rotator cuff injury, so I began coaching. Now I have a focus in bodybuilding and building up every part of the physique.

HOWEVER... you may run into me at the Pan Ams next year!

Injuries are a big part of BJJ especially if you're a competitor at a high level.

I hope to see you at Pan's next year. I won't be at Pan's this year. I'm thinking of competing in Europe a couple more times this year but I'll have to wait and see.

scgear
04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I began at Gracie Barra now with smaller school. I train mostly gi but train no gi as well. I've competed three times and will compete in the spring. Sister Steel, saw your comment about never testing at ibjjf tournament. How do you feel about the new testing protocol?

Vicious 13
04-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Just started getting back into my Gracie Barra gym I'm out of shape for sure

xdude
04-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I once met Robert Burnikea and that guy was one of the biggest dude I ever met... any how just saw he was now doing the MMA thing..
I would think that kind of size would work against you ...not that I would ever want to mess with him...

anyhow saw go against some soon to be forgotten dude and burnikea was still huge.

I would think your best strategy would be run..and tire him out

SisterSteel
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
I once met Robert Burnikea and that guy was one of the biggest dude I ever met... any how just saw he was now doing the MMA thing..
I would think that kind of size would work against you ...not that I would ever want to mess with him...

anyhow saw go against some soon to be forgotten dude and burnikea was still huge.

I would think your best strategy would be run..and tire him out

If you look, most MMA fighter aren't really "big" because it takes a lot of oxygen and work to keep those muscle firing.

xdude
04-22-2013, 09:24 PM
I know that is what surprised me .. but there he is on you tube doing some fight in Poland...
he was over 20lbs heavier than his opponent..and came in at 275..
when I met him he was 285 with a respectable 6 pack showing

SisterSteel
04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
I know that is what surprised me .. but there he is on you tube doing some fight in Poland...
he was over 20lbs heavier than his opponent..and came in at 275..
when I met him he was 285 with a respectable 6 pack showing

Yeah in Poland. That's not Bellator and it's definitely not UFC.

scgear
04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
They'll never test the competitors at any IBJJF tourneys.

SisterSteel, how do you feel about the new testing protocols in IBJJF?

SisterSteel
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
SisterSteel, how do you feel about the new testing protocols in IBJJF?

Personally, I think it's ridiculous but than again I think any testing for performance enhancers is ridiculous. AAS or any other performance enhancer won't make a nobody into a world champion (in any sport). It allows the individual to recover so they can continue with their brutal training regimen. And also another point.... it's the fans that put the competitor into a position where they need to use. Think about it... the fans want to see more amazing feats and so the competitors have to step things up.

I know they tested what... 10 people at Pan's but where's the results? I haven't seen them, have you? I have also heard they are going to test at Gi Mundials this year. We'll have to wait and see. The reason question is will they post the results of those who pop positive? Are they ready for that? It would solidify the argument that many out there have in that AAS is running rampant in the BJJ World.

scgear
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Personally, I think it's ridiculous but than again I think any testing for performance enhancers is ridiculous. AAS or any other performance enhancer won't make a nobody into a world champion (in any sport). It allows the individual to recover so they can continue with their brutal training regimen. And also another point.... it's the fans that put the competitor into a position where they need to use. Think about it... the fans want to see more amazing feats and so the competitors have to step things up.

I know they tested what... 10 people at Pan's but where's the results? I haven't seen them, have you? I have also heard they are going to test at Gi Mundials this year. We'll have to wait and see. The reason question is will they post the results of those who pop positive? Are they ready for that? It would solidify the argument that many out there have in that AAS is running rampant in the BJJ World.

The only one I've seen so far was from Andre Galvao, and he posted his own results. And I agree, I think its ridiculous as well. Its not like there's a magic pill you can take and become proficient in bjj or any other sport. Training, hard training is how you get better.

Vicious 13
04-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I blame rose Gracie

OldGoat
07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv284/Redflame6/jit_zps37bc7650.jpg (http://s692.photobucket.com/user/Redflame6/media/jit_zps37bc7650.jpg.html)

SisterSteel
07-22-2013, 10:43 AM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv284/Redflame6/jit_zps37bc7650.jpg (http://s692.photobucket.com/user/Redflame6/media/jit_zps37bc7650.jpg.html)

Doesn't that make you want to start training BJJ, lol.

OldGoat
07-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Haha, yes, you offering? We can both throw on our suits! haha!