PDA

View Full Version : Reading

red crayon
10-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Can anyone recomend any good books or magazines to read. Im looking to pick up some more useful info about bodybuilding, weight lifting, diet, and such related subjects. I already read MD and Musclemag. I also have about 30 or 40 books I got at the book store I have read. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

kazman68
10-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Can anyone recomend any good books or magazines to read. Im looking to pick up some more useful info about bodybuilding, weight lifting, diet, and such related subjects. I already read MD and Musclemag. I also have about 30 or 40 books I got at the book store I have read. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

With the internet you can find anything you want...exactly what kind of info are you looking for...btw I like the fact your taking time to do some research on your own. Alot of guys either

1. Don't know what the fuck their doing they think if they go 'lift' for an hour or two they will get the results they want. I know a guy who has been training (I use that term loosely) for 15+ yrs and looks like shit he believes that bs that you can only put a max of 2# of muscle a year. Hell he doesn't even do that.

2. Want to be spoon fed every once of knowledge, they have no knowledge of bodybuilding, they need to have someone hold their hand through every workout, and be told exactly what to eat and when. God forbid they think for themselves.

Sherk
10-10-2012, 12:52 AM
I recently read "Arnold The Education of a bodybuilder". It was a great read. Also his encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding is good and William Llewellyn' book called Anabolics was also a good one but its only an E book so you can't physically own it. I have them on my kindle app on my phone. If you have the kindle app or a kindle you can buy any book you want or search categories to find some good books. They're all cheap as shit that way. I paid $7-$10 per book on all the ones I mentioned.

Add: you buy them on amazon

cane
10-10-2012, 01:03 AM
I recently read "Arnold The Education of a bodybuilder". It was a great read. Also his encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding is good and William Llewellyn' book called Anabolics was also a good one but its only an E book so you can't physically own it. I have them on my kindle app on my phone. If you have the kindle app or a kindle you can buy any book you want or search categories to find some good books. They're all cheap as shit that way. I paid $7-$10 per book on all the ones I mentioned.

you can buy books on amazon used mad cheap! as long as they arent rare and in demand.. then the price will be insane

Bruiser
10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1
Anything by Dave Tate
Power magazine

These are all aimed at powerlifting but will put huge slabs of mass on you. Most guys make the mistake of trying to build muscle like pro bodybuilders right from the start. You need to gain as much muscle and strength as possible first. I know when I was training like a BB I couldn't gain shit. But when I stopped the BB crap and started powerlifting, my body completely changed!

kazman68
10-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Arnold's book was good, and anything by Dave Tate is excellent, might also want to check out a fellow Beverly 'Int team member and fellow competitor John Meadows. John knows his shit he placed 4th at the USA in the heavy's a few yrs back. He has several letters after his name lol meaning he is certified in several area's. http://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=John%20Meadows

As a matter of fact John and Big Dave have been training partners in the past.

SisterSteel
10-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Mel Siff's SuperTraining is worth it's weight in gold. It's not a cheap book though.

red crayon
10-11-2012, 01:05 AM
When I first started training back around 1980 there wasnt any trainers or anything available to me. Like so many beginers I fell into the first big hole I came to (Also called Natilus ). I guess it was ok but I didnt get anything out of the Natilus system. I didnt know what to do next so I started reading. A few of the people I found that I could do what they wrote about and get results were Joe Weider, Robert Kennedy, and Bill Star. I usually ask other people where they get their Info from and sometimes I get good answers. I believe I have gotten several good answers here, Thanks!

Ecto
10-11-2012, 07:02 AM
...... I know when I was training like a BB I couldn't gain shit. But when I stopped the BB crap and started powerlifting, my body completely changed!

Ditto. I wasted a couple of years of my time till i figured this out. I will never workout like a bodybuilder ever. It just does nothing for me.

layddually
10-11-2012, 09:34 AM

If I was you I would try to find a way to get the books from your kindle to save. The way our big brother government is its only a matter of time before they delete a bunch of ebooks to protect us from our selves.

Sherk
10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
They save to my kindle profile just like music does on your iTunes profile. I can access them from any computer or device