PDA

View Full Version : Sciatic nerve

layddually
10-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I have been in a lot of pain lately I figured out I must have pinched the sciatic nerve. Pain starts about my lower spine goes down glutes and hamstrings to the back of my knees. Any ever deal with this and if so what did you do? I need this gone ASAP it's keepi g me up most of the night it's hard to do anything sit, stand, etc.

tk12
10-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Dude - went through this last year. Had cortizone injections- several xrays
My L5 disk had slipped out a little.
The pain was severe- I know what you are going through.
When I would get out of the shower-I went months without being able to dry my feet off- because of lack of movement. The sciatic nerve is a bitch!
After doctor visits, chiropractor visits.... The thing that helped me the most was free of charge.
A lady at my gym that teaches yoga showed me some stretches and told me to ice, ice and ice.
The ice helped more than I can explain!

Fit Guru
10-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Every night before bed and when u wake up lay flat on your back and pull the hurt side leg across your body and hold with both arm long as you can and repeat several times. It will relieve pressure.

Bruiser
10-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Every night before bed and when u wake up lay flat on your back and pull the hurt side leg across your body and hold with both arm long as you can and repeat several times. It will relieve pressure.

Great advice! It works for sciatic and piriformis pain. I do this before I go to bed and when I wake up EVERY DAY!

Fuelfan
10-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I had my dragster fold in half at 280mph and as a result I have a screw in my sacrum. I've also had the same problem as you with the pinched nerve. After screwing around with chiropractors and acupuncture for a long time the best thing I found for back issues is stretch, stretch and stretch some more and get that sucker strong!

kazman68
10-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Great advice! It works for sciatic and piriformis pain. I do this before I go to bed and when I wake up EVERY DAY!

Very good advice! I have had piriformis syndrome, and the sciatic was being pinched..the pain was incredible..stretches helped, I also used a roller for trigger points in my rear..I had a couple adjustments that seemed to help..hope you get better soon.

zedhed
10-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Me too bro hope you get better soon. I know how bad this can suck up your life. My wife deals with it much of the time.

lagitity126
10-17-2012, 10:02 PM
doesnt sound good

layddually
10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Been stretching the shit out of it hope it's better by sat morn. Me and my daughter jog on sat morning. That's when I screwed it up she made it 1.5 miles then got tired so I put her on my shoulders to get back because sun was going down and getting cold. There some crunching sounds in my back when I bend.

Fuelfan
10-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Another thing that works real well for me is EMS (electronic muscle stimulation) I bought a little deal called IQ Massager and it's incredible. It was like $100 and it works great. I pack that thing with me in. my backpack everywhere I go.

kazman68
10-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Another thing that works real well for me is EMS (electronic muscle stimulation) I bought a little deal called IQ Massager and it's incredible. It was like $100 and it works great. I pack that thing with me in. my backpack everywhere I go.

I used this to rehab a few injury's and it definitely helped...good advice.

red crayon
10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I am impressed at the advice that you have already gotten here. These guys are right. You will have to try everything and anything until you find something that works. I wish I had some better advice, all I can add is maybe some massage therapy.
When you get this taken care of you will need to start doing exercises for some of the muscles that most people dont work on. I do exercises for my rotator cuff and lower back (Hyper extensions mostly) as you get older you have to be more proactive in your work outs or you will get injured and put out of the game for good.

kazman68
10-18-2012, 09:08 PM
I am impressed at the advice that you have already gotten here. These guys are right. You will have to try everything and anything until you find something that works. I wish I had some better advice, all I can add is maybe some massage therapy.
When you get this taken care of you will need to start doing exercises for some of the muscles that most people dont work on. I do exercises for my rotator cuff and lower back (Hyper extensions mostly) as you get older you have to be more proactive in your work outs or you will get injured and put out of the game for good.

Your right, need to pay more attention to warming up and stretching, so many guys don't stretch and the benefits go beyond just flexibility.

layddually
10-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Stretching? What's that?

SisterSteel
10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
An exercise that would be good for anyone who is having discomfort in their lower back is reverse hyperextensions. They decompress the area while strengthening it.

red crayon
10-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes thats I do them for reps and keep the weight low, 25 pound plate max. If you dont know anything about streaching here is a good place to start.

http://www.parrilloperformance.com/category/videos/page/5/

Parrillo's info doesnt always make sense but its like Vince Gironda, try it and keep what works.

kazman68
10-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Yes thats I do them for reps and keep the weight low, 25 pound plate max. If you dont know anything about streaching here is a good place to start.

http://www.parrilloperformance.com/category/videos/page/5/

Parrillo's info doesnt always make sense but its like Vince Gironda, try it and keep what works.

Parillo was a judge in a few of my shows, I don't believe in his mega calorie diet, but his fascia stretches work, after I started doing them not only did I get much more flexible, but saw in increase in definition, and separation, he also did something called planing( rubbing muscle's out with his palm while 2 people have you in an extreme stretch) and rolfing (very deep vigorous hard massaging) He believes that the fascia is so tight around the muscle it can restrict growth, that;s one theory on muscle memory, your fascia is stretched out from when you were bigger, and as you start to train again that fascia isn't restricting muscle growth. Dante is another big believer in stretching, and I am as well. I hope this is correct it's coming from memory, but bottom line the stretching works, and has many benefits. One other thing don't ever cold stretch, I also did Iso tension after my stretches. Basically it was do a set(very full range of motion),stretch,squeeze/flex the muscle as hard as possible. In the one of the Beverly International newsletter's it describes how this was part of my success in winning the 96' Midwest. If you decide to try it start slow and work your way up, deeper and longer stretches. I apologize again for my long posts, I use too many words when describing things, I'm not good at breaking things down into a one-liner.

red crayon
10-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Again Im glad to see that I might not be the only one who does these things. Where I go and work out I often get strange looks because I do a lot of things no one else does.
I had to modify the streaching Parillo recomends slightly, I do all my streaching after the working sets on a given muscle. The reason is that it doesnt detract from my energy for the working sets and the muscle is fully pumped (As much as its gonna be) so I will get the best results. Like I said I read a lot and try almost everything and use what works, for me, and remember the rest. It might not work for me but might work for someone else, we are all different.

kazman68
10-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Again Im glad to see that I might not be the only one who does these things. Where I go and work out I often get strange looks because I do a lot of things no one else does.
I had to modify the streaching Parillo recomends slightly, I do all my streaching after the working sets on a given muscle. The reason is that it doesnt detract from my energy for the working sets and the muscle is fully pumped (As much as its gonna be) so I will get the best results. Like I said I read a lot and try almost everything and use what works, for me, and remember the rest. It might not work for me but might work for someone else, we are all different.

Same here I'm the only one stretching (hard) between sets. It works though!

Terpvtx
10-22-2012, 05:04 AM
I suffered from sciatica for almost a year. I had the steroid injections and they did not help. The ortho I was seeing wanted to operate, but I decided to try a chiropractor first and I am glad I did. After a couple of visits, I felt much better. I haven't suffered from it since. I would recommend trying a chiropractor first before seeing an ortho. I would also recommend looking for a chiropractor that is also a licensed physical therapist. They typically have had more extensive training.

xdude
12-09-2013, 08:52 AM
mine just started kicking in and causing some twinges ... the strange thing I noticed it while doing some light weight stretching on chest flies.. I am talking 25 lb dumbbells. and lying flat.. and the twinge went right down my leg ..which is the part I don't understand.. I am lying flat.. so shouldn't that take the pressure off...

I am not in pain on a regular basis .. just a twinge that goes down the leg..

I am thinking that I should nip this before it gets worse.
I will look into stretching

so is should I see the DR. or just go direct to the Chiropractor

Layddually2
12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
The only thing that helped mine was laying flat and pulling knee across chest. As soon as I feel it coming on I do that then foam roll at home.

chrisotpherm
12-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Physical therapy may be a good option here as unlike a chiropractor they actually help an injury than a quick fix.

xdude
12-09-2013, 09:08 PM
found a video on youtube for seated stretch and the guy said "if this is difficult the chances are this the source of the issue" good news was that was difficult ... one stretch and it started feeling it..

just sit and basically cross our leg.. in a figure 4 then sit up straight to stretch the but and hams...

I will give an update in a couple days...

oh dropped the doc an email he said rest and stretching is your best first step...
also recommended motrin

xdude
12-19-2013, 11:31 PM
I have been doing this , and to be honest I didn't realise how tight I am down there .. I found a couple more stretches ...and I realise this is helping ..how ever I have not lifted in about a week and going a little crazy ...

xdude
12-22-2013, 09:39 PM
I did a back workout yesterday ... so things are looking up... funny but the big problem I have is with Flys... go figure ...

Layddually2
12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Im super tight every where I need to probably lay off for a while and spend my time stretching and getting deep tissue massages.

xdude
12-25-2013, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

this stretch is what is working very good for me 3 times a day , for 20 seconds each side

baby1
12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Try some foam roling. It is very helpful as many of our opains stems from trigger points and the rolling helps work them out. Also, if you can fine a person who does Trigger point Massage, it can work wonders. Good luck as I feel for you cause I to suffer with this and it has been full blown lately

xdude
01-14-2014, 07:52 PM
wow did I screw up... I didn't warm up as much as I should because I was in a serious hurry... then went to bench and doing a warm up set... move my legs and felt something give in my lower back... the pain is going down my leg continuously now... I am really worried I am going to need surgery ..