PDA

View Full Version : Using Chains in Training

SisterSteel
10-15-2012, 08:10 PM
There are many keys to success, but two invaluable ones are accelerating strength training and accommodating resistance. Chains should be used in your training during your dynamic day for speed-strength or the maximum effort day to develop absolute strength.

Lifters who have a sticking point at or slightly above the knees in the deadlift will find great benefit from using chains. If you are weak at the top, this will also solve your problem. The use of chains will help with starting strength as well. Because chains make it more difficult to press as the bar ascends, you will instinctively try to accelerate the bar from start to finish. The effects of training normally take 2-4 weeks, but the training effect with chains is immediate.

Training with chains accomplishes three things:

1. We have maintained our original weight in order to use correct percentages for explosive training

2. We have overloaded the top portion of the lift, which normally doesn't receive sufficient work because of increased body leverage at this position.

3. A neurological response to build explosive strength is developed. This training will train you to drive to the top because you can't slack off at the top phase as you used to.

I hope you incorporate chains into your routine and you won't be disappointed.

Vicious 13
10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Every post is full of info ur overloading my brain sister

kazman68
10-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I was into powerlifting before the use of chains and bands became popular, I have heard they have become invaluable tools. I know the guys/women at Westside are big on them..Correct me if I'm wrong but was it Louie Simmons that first came up with the idea? I haven't used chains but done some band work, I'm not as serious nowadays, but I can imagine I would have been even stronger if I had incorporated these in my training. Good post SisterSteel!

SisterSteel
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I was into powerlifting before the use of chains and bands became popular, I have heard they have become invaluable tools. I know the guys/women at Westside are big on them..Correct me if I'm wrong but was it Louie Simmons that first came up with the idea? I haven't used chains but done some band work, I'm not as serious nowadays, but I can imagine I would have been even stronger if I had incorporated these in my training. Good post SisterSteel!

I'm not sure who first came up with the use of chains, but Louie is definitely a huge fan of both. He calls his band training Future's Method b/c it allows you to use weights now that you'll be handling in meets in the future.

Nelson303
10-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I used them to get back on bench. After rotator cuff surgery and rehab. The chains allowed me to work on areas in my range. Without the 4 days of misery after. I have never thought about deads and snatches and others. Wow Sister Steel. I see dead lift day being real noisy. I bet the old farts will love that. Thanks

SisterSteel
10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I used them to get back on bench. After rotator cuff surgery and rehab. The chains allowed me to work on areas in my range. Without the 4 days of misery after. I have never thought about deads and snatches and others. Wow Sister Steel. I see dead lift day being real noisy. I bet the old farts will love that. Thanks

I wouldn't use chains when performing snatches. That would throw the bar out of it's proper bar path and increase the chance of injury significantly. Now deadlifts and squats are totally different. Chains are great for both.

Bruiser
10-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I love using chains in training. Doing so has brought my bench and DL up a ridiculous amount. I picked mine up at the hardware store for real cheap. I got 3/8" and just doubled it up since they didn't carry 3/4". Convenient and don't have to pay the crazy shipping costs that EliteFTS wants.

SisterSteel
10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Here are some places that are cheaper than EliteFTS:

http://www.sportsmith.net/productsearch.aspx?dsNav=Rpp:48,N:750035

http://www.opentip.com/Sports-Outdoors/Lb-Weight-Lifting-Chains-p-3546025.html?gclid=CJzJtdPi6rICFQme4Aodv28Avg

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/chains.html