PDA

View Full Version : Being a Pro BB

kazman68
10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Here comes another long winded post, I don't know how many guys have turning pro as a goal.When I was younger I wanted to be an IFBB pro with all my heart, I had no clue what really goes on at that level..As I climbed the ranks from local,state,regional, and finally Nat;l events I began to see the dark side. I saw and heard things I couldn't believe, I met a lot of pro's back then I was friends with Porter Cottrel and Mike Francois(both class acts) and communicated with them now and then. At Natl events I began to to really get the picture. Pro BB is so much more than meets the eye, Cocanie,Nubain abuse, gay for pay, Depriving yourself of everything just to get the $ you need for drugs. Kai Green didn't have a car or phone,and lived in a shit hole, every penny went to food and drugs, he even allowed himself to be filmed fucking a grapefruit. The prize money is a joke. A pro bowler would make more, most guys make just enough to cover the cost of drugs. Like a crack addict they will do anything to get $. I'm not knocking BB but the politics are fucking sick. Look at Dave Palumbo (very smart guy) He has destroyed his body hence the term "Palumboism" look at Kovacs same thing. Guys have died at or after shows. Anthony D'arezzo died the night before natl's in his hotel room, the next day at the competitors meeting, They said he looked lean, dry, and healthy..LOL healthy yah right, you feel like shit the day of a show at that level. I'm not knocking BB and especially not aas. But if anyone told me they wanted to be a pro, I would beg them to rethink, the list of premature deaths in BB is mind blowing, most of these guys don't get regular checkups and die of a heart complication. (my pet peeve guys always get regular bp checks) Pro BB isn't all it's cracked up to be, only the very top elite guys make money. You have to be marketable. The amount of money the supplement company's make vs. the amount they get paid for shows or endorsements is a fucking joke. I was never really a fan of Nasser El Sonbaty's physique but I respect the hell out of him for telling like it is. Here is an example of what he endured pre-contest :"Sometimes when I used Esiclene in the hotel room, I took a chair to the mirror and Birgit and her friends had already drawn the Esiclene into the syringes with long needles. I was just sitting there and got hit every couple of seconds for sometimes 30 to 45 minutes straight. Sometimes the girls had to stop injecting because I was just bleeding all over the place out of these holes. So, with paper tissues they had to make the blood discontinue, otherwise when it dried it looked terrible over the third or fourth coat of pro tan. After these sessions, which sometimes lasted even over 60 minutes, I had to go to bed because I was more than dizzy and I once even passed out in the chair in my hotel room and had to be dragged to my bed" If you've' managed to read all of this and want more here's a link to Nasser's interviews very eye opening, anyone who has a goal of turning pro should read this :http://hugenasser.com/interview/ like I said nothing against aas use and getting big and shredded but trying to turn pro please reconsider. (sorry for the long ass post) /rant off

knights
10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
good post bro.......everybody thinks of the 2%-3% of the guys who actually make it, they dont realize it aint all glamour and glitz. A very good friend of mine was Mr Michigan many many years ago.....went to California to turn pro and train with "the best", the "best" did nothing but get him hooked on drugs and fuck up his body. He's still recovering after 15 years back.

red crayon
10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I am a fan of Lee Priest (I know its not his real name) and went to the Arnold to meet him. I was the only one who was in line to get his photo and autograph, Thats sad. While I was there I talked to him for awhile. I found out that I made more money than he did at that time and had for several years. Im only an industrial electricial at an aluminum plant. He was one of the top guys, IMHO, in the IFBB. Thats sad. The more I think about it the more I dont get it. These guys are the best in the world and have a hard time even supporting themselves. Dont get the wrong Idea though I have been lifting weights and in good enough shape to win contests, I wouldnt do it any other way, but the money just isnt there, It should be but it isnt. So I do my thing in the gym and keep my day job so that I can have a happy life, and a family. If you want to do the contest thing think long and hard about it. Then talk to the ones that have. I agree with Kazman. You might not like what you find out but one thing is a fact. If you do this you will be on the same road as everyone else and you will have to deal with the same stuff they have, no exceptions.

SisterSteel
10-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I think many of us have stories that would make many think twice before chasing that dream of turning pro. I've seen sponsors hook women on rec drugs and pimp them out. I've seen judges demand sexual favors for favorable placings at shows. The list is pretty long but I'm sure you get the idea. It's a very dirty sport and many get chewed up and spat out before they ever even accomplish anything.

kazman68
10-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I think many of us have stories that would make many think twice before chasing that dream of turning pro. I've seen sponsors hook women on rec drugs and pimp them out. I've seen judges demand sexual favors for favorable placings at shows. The list is pretty long but I'm sure you get the idea. It's a very dirty sport and many get chewed up and spat out before they ever even accomplish anything.

So true...nothing wrong with competing it's fun, and exciting. But killing yourself, or selling your soul so to speak isn't worth it imho.

About Lee Priest, I admire his physique, but he one of the worst if not the worst liar about his aas use. Says he dosn;;t use test. Here is a offseason mass builder so he claims.

" Offseason I don't take much I rely more on food and heavy training. I'd normally go maybe 5 months before I'd do another course in the offseason. Then I'd just take the basics like DECA, 2 cc's of DECA, 2 CC'S OF PR1MOBOLAN for 8 weeks then I'm off of it for 3 months before 1 do something else."

BULLSHIT!

Ironguruera
10-27-2012, 01:03 PM
So true...nothing wrong with competing it's fun, and exciting. But killing yourself, or selling your soul so to speak isn't worth it imho.

About Lee Priest, I admire his physique, but he one of the worst if not the worst liar about his aas use. Says he dosn;;t use test. Here is a offseason mass builder so he claims.

" Offseason I don't take much I rely more on food and heavy training. I'd normally go maybe 5 months before I'd do another course in the offseason. Then I'd just take the basics like DECA, 2 cc's of DECA, 2 CC'S OF PR1MOBOLAN for 8 weeks then I'm off of it for 3 months before 1 do something else."

BULLSHIT!

I agree about priest. For his height he had a stellar physique. His height is what kills him though.

I read that same interview. "2cc deca and a toddlers dose of primo".......Lmfao!!

The guy who got me really going at BB told me it straight ages ago. It truly is the ugly story u depict and worse.

this video sums it up so well lmao!
http://youtu.be/6CrLECXeBBQ

kazman68
10-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I agree about priest. For his height he had a stellar physique. His height is what kills him though.

I read that same interview. "2cc deca and a toddlers dose of primo".......Lmfao!!

The guy who got me really going at BB told me it straight ages ago. It truly is the ugly story u depict and worse.

this video sums it up so well lmao!
http://youtu.be/6CrLECXeBBQ

I'm glad I had the Riednger's to clue me in , I was contacted to do an underwear ad. When I told Roger he said "whoa whoa" that's; when I learned what was really happening and what it was leading up to...I was naive, I registered at a legit modeling agency and thought this was on the up and up..it was some private pervert posing as a photographer for a 'company' wanted to take personal shots..you know where I'm going...Sad some of the guys go through with it..those that are very desperate and/or drug addicted.

chrisotpherm
10-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Great post man. I was walking down this journey to and learned real fast what you will have to physically and mentally sacrifice to get to the level you want to be at. Now I am just enjoying getting lean and big and be able to walk around feeling like a shredded grizzly bear. No one messes with me. LOL.

kazman68
10-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Great post man. I was walking down this journey to and learned real fast what you will have to physically and mentally sacrifice to get to the level you want to be at. Now I am just enjoying getting lean and big and be able to walk around feeling like a shredded grizzly bear. No one messes with me. LOL.

I love it!!! and your probably much happier and healthier you didn't go down that route..I know I am.

Fit Guru
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Now let me tell you about 2 of the top BB in the world that are very close friends of mine. Flex Lewis and Brandon curry who both reside in the same town.they do not take large amounts of drugs. Some of the cycles on here are double what they'd use. Brandon is a very family oriented man with a wife and 2 sons. One a new born. They are well respected at home and afar. They have aesthetically pleasing physiques also. Some of the people you spoke of, well really all of then besides Porter and Mike which I knew very well, have challenging physiques and resorted to excessive drugs to overcompensate for poor genetics. I too spoke personally to Nasser and yes he was crazy!! Most guys u talked about were from an era 20+ years ago. That madness doesn't go on nearly as much now. I've worked with many pro's the last 10 years and I don't see it happening anymore like in the 80's and early 90's. look at the Olympia this year. Show me 1 guy you can say used Synthol? I know some do but you can't tell. Times have changed tremendously. Pro BB today IS NOT like that of the 80's and 90's!!

Fit Guru
10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I also should say I'm a regional and National NPC judge and yes we still see distorted physiques but never in the top 5. Rarely in the top 10. Most of those guys are 1 and done. BB is a totally different sport now. There were no "coaches" back then and especially no BB forums because there was no Internet til the mid 90's. things have changed. Drastically

babablacksheep
10-27-2012, 09:39 PM
So fit....obviously cycles and compounds vary person to person but could you lay out a typical pro level cycle....I would just like to see some mg dosage to compare too

Just lookin for a generic example

Thanks

red crayon
10-27-2012, 09:45 PM
I mentioned Lee Priest because I actually got to talk to him. All the top guys deserve a lot of respect because of where they are. They are the elite in our sport. Do they tell lies? I dont care Im like a contest judge I go by what I see. How did they get there? Again, I dont care. I know thats kinda cold. All I can tell you, truthfully is that they all have some good stories to tell and have been able to get their bodies into a condition that I could never reach.
What ever the story is behind the scenes I am a fan and will always be a fan. I respect the top guys and attend the Arnold when I can. Thats a large part of how this sport works. With out the fans (Ie. the common gym rats like me) It would dry up and go away. I lift weights and have since I was 20, Im 52 now. I think I will always lift weights. My wife says I will probably die in the gym one day when Im old, I hope so! For me, it would be a happy way to go!

Fit Guru
10-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Baba I can't give you length of cycles or exacts but I know exactly what was purchased and I plead the 5th on how I know that. Lol... One particular cycle included anadrol, test enanthate and EQ. From what he told be dosage was.
750 mg enanthate
600mg EQ
50mg anadrol
And this is all he used for 12-16 weeks then bought HCG.
Pre contest was
Tren 300mg
Masteron 700mg
Winstrol depot 350 mg
Halotest 20mg a day for last 10 days before show. This is a top ten Olympia competitor

kazman68
10-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Baba I can't give you length of cycles or exacts but I know exactly what was purchased and I plead the 5th on how I know that. Lol... One particular cycle included anadrol, test enanthate and EQ. From what he told be dosage was.
750 mg enanthate
600mg EQ
50mg anadrol
And this is all he used for 12-16 weeks then bought HCG.
Pre contest was
Tren 300mg
Masteron 700mg
Winstrol depot 350 mg
Halotest 20mg a day for last 10 days before show. This is a top ten Olympia competitor

I am in no way disrespectful

any BB but at the elite level dirty dealing still take places..competing at the local or even state level is fine////but when your desperate to turn pro and as I said sell your soul....it;s a shame ...the NPC Natls( pro qualifier) is the most brutal competition there is everyone wants to be the next "iffb pro" nothing against competing but the dream of turning pro and having fame and fortune thrust apron you is a joke,..some guys kill there selves to turn pro thinking they will get a flurry of calls ($) Look at Paul Demayo guy busted his ass to turn pro....and no phone calls (endorsement.contacts etc ) He quit training and started using Heroin and eventually died of a OD.....Like I said competing is fun and exciting but anyone who has the dream of turning pro and receive fame and fortune is sadly mistaken. "Don't wish for something you just may get it"

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Name someone from the last 5 years that you can tag any of the above on? Your not being disrespectful your just behind on the BB scene. All the people you named were big in the 80's and 90's. yes it goes on but they don't make magazine covers anymore. Too many good BB out there for that to happen.

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Name someone from the last 5 years that you can tag any of the above on? Your not being disrespectful your just behind on the BB scene. All the people you named were big in the 80's and 90's. yes it goes on but they don't make magazine covers anymore. Too many good BB out there for that to happen.

There's still a lot of dirty dealing in BBing. Still women getting higher placing than they should. I'll just use one word.... Ropeman. That POS has fucked plenty of women and done much worse in exchange to have them place higher than they should.

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Remember I've been judging for 24 years. I can remember only 1 time a promotor tried to influence the outcome. Remember at the national level there are 9 judges. Local level 7. Do you really think a promotor can influence 5-6 judges out of 9?now people vote people they know higher. It happens. Or 3 people sitting side by side can influence each other but I question just how political judging is. There's just too many people to influence from different states or countries.saying a show is political is a cop out in my opinion and I as a judge am insulted when I hear this.

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
If what your saying is true sister, Ty had to talk to 9 individual. Judges and convince at least 5 to put his girl in first and convince the other 4 to give her no less than 2nd. I'm not being a smartass. I just think people don't think about all that would have to be done to make that happen when they cry "political"

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
If what your saying is true sister, Ty had to talk to 9 individual. Judges and convince at least 5 to put his girl in first and convince the other 4 to give her no less than 2nd. I'm not being a smartass. I just think people don't think about all that would have to be done to make that happen when they cry "political"

If what I'm saying is true? I can give you plenty of names or competitors and as well as judges who have personally seen this happen. This isn't opinion, it's fact. You obviously don't know Rope that well and aren't in his inner circle. Hell, I can give you names of female mods who have left my state to compete elsewhere b/c of that exact thing happening to them. Now, this isn't so much about female bbing as it is female figure. You also didn't know Jay Hammett to well and don't know Tony Freeman to well either.

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 02:14 PM
What I see happening is, especially state level, you have judges who judge the same way. For instance in figure. All the judges in Alabama may judge on softness where judges in KY just leanness.ive seen people going to another state to compete and placing better but only because they judge by a different criteria not because the judges are being influenced.

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
What I see happening is, especially state level, you have judges who judge the same way. For instance in figure. All the judges in Alabama may judge on softness where judges in KY just leanness.ive seen people going to another state to compete and placing better but only because they judge by a different criteria not because the judges are being influenced.

I'm not talking about judging where they reward someone who's softer. I'm talking about Rope telling a girl if she doesn't fuck him and his friends she'll never place. I'm talking about how Jay would buy some girl implants and have her give "favors" for his friends b/c she can't pay him back. Or how about getting them hooked on rec drugs and bringing them to a party where Tony and his cronies take turns running a train on these women.

BBing is a completely subjective sport to begin with. There is no measurable way to really say one is better than another b/c a task isn't being performed but c'mon the term "gay for pay" was started b/c of bodybuilding. Sexual favors to get what they need. BBing has many dirty secrets and if you've been in this sport long enough you've seen it.

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Yea I've seen it. But never got involved in it. Some sick pervert tricking a ditzy blonde into fucking him to get ahead in the sport is way different from actually influencing judges decisions. I stuck with the winners.when a girl walks out on stage I could care less who she slept with!

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Yea I've seen it. But never got involved in it. Some sick pervert tricking a ditzy blonde into fucking him to get ahead in the sport is way different from actually influencing judges decisions. I stuck with the winners.when a girl walks out on stage I could care less who she slept with!

I can give you examples of girls who have fucked their way to getting a pro card. Some of them well known and some not so well known. The point is the sick perverts you speak of are the judges and yes they have pull over who is going to win and who will not since they are the ones scoring how the athletes look.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to compete in BBing they should do it for the fun of it and no other reason. There is really no future as a bber. You can't make a living off it (exp the women).

kazman68
10-28-2012, 06:39 PM
I didn't mean to stir up shit..I was simply saying that being a pro bb isn't all it's cracked up to be..FitGuru Your right I may be a little behind the times, again I meant no disrespect to you or bb in general, and Sister I have heard of the Ropeman and what he does or did. My point somewhere out there is a guy sleeping in his car or on the beach spending every penny on aas and food in the hopes of being the next pro, when he or she could get a job and/or education live a more 'normal' life still train and use gear, get big and ripped and even compete like Sister said for fun, in the end be happier and healthier, look at all the girls that go to California to be the next big thing in modeling or acting, I don't have to tell you were most of them end up and what the end up doing...that was the only point I'm making. Like I said MIke Francois and Porter were both friends of mine and 100% class acts, but there are some that I'm sure are a mess hooked on drugs etc...I agree things have changed, but I'm simply as I said making the point of if your dream is being an ifbb pro, maybe re-think it...competing nothing against it..I loved it and have helped guys get ready for shows...as I said not trying to stir up shit, I see your side Fit, but I also know a thing or two. Again not trying to be disrespectful, I admire your knowledge, and your posts on the forum..

Also Good point Fitguru..if you ever compete in the N.Kentucky show ran by Roger and Sandy make sure your ripped, that is what the certainly judge on.

kazman68
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh and redcrayon, I wasn;t dissing on you because you like Lee, I too admire his physique, but I like a guy who tells it like it is... I mean c;mon 2cc of deca and primo a week offseason, it's insulting to me, does he really think were that dumb?

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Well as you can see I love the sport and have been around it for 33 years. Lets put it this way. There are drugs in the work force and women sleep their way to the top weather it be in the corporate world or Walmart . Women sleep their way to promotions in every position not just bodybuilding and that's why businesses implement drug texting cause drugs are avert where not just BB.i don't want young aspiring bodybuilders to think bodybuilding is a Cesspool for drugs and sex. Drugs and sex are everywhere!

kazman68
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Well as you can see I love the sport and have been around it for 33 years. Lets put it this way. There are drugs in the work force and women sleep their way to the top weather it be in the corporate world or Walmart . Women sleep their way to promotions in every position not just bodybuilding and that's why businesses implement drug texting cause drugs are avert where not just BB.i don't want young aspiring bodybuilders to think bodybuilding is a Cesspool for drugs and sex. Drugs and sex are everywhere!

I love the sport too. I'm not dissing BB at all...just some of the dirty dealings behind it..yes there are drugs everywhere, but most BB have an addictive personalty etc... I actually would like to become a NPC judge myself. Like Sister said compete for fun, to challenge yourself, just think twice if you want to try and make a 'career' out of it. I like you Fit enjoy helping guys get ready for shows..my competition days are over but I still like watching shows and giving out what advice I can.

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 08:21 PM
I didn't mean to stir up shit..I was simply saying that being a pro bb isn't all it's cracked up to be..FitGuru Your right I may be a little behind the times, again I meant no disrespect to you or bb in general, and Sister I have heard of the Ropeman and what he does or did. My point somewhere out there is a guy sleeping in his car or on the beach spending every penny on aas and food in the hopes of being the next pro, when he or she could get a job and/or education live a more 'normal' life still train and use gear, get big and ripped and even compete like Sister said for fun, in the end be happier and healthier, look at all the girls that go to California to be the next big thing in modeling or acting, I don't have to tell you were most of them end up and what the end up doing...that was the only point I'm making. Like I said MIke Francois and Porter were both friends of mine and 100% class acts, but there are some that I'm sure are a mess hooked on drugs etc...I agree things have changed, but I'm simply as I said making the point of if your dream is being an ifbb pro, maybe re-think it...competing nothing against it..I loved it and have helped guys get ready for shows...as I said not trying to stir up shit, I see your side Fit, but I also know a thing or two. Again not trying to be disrespectful, I admire your knowledge, and your posts on the forum..

Also Good point Fitguru..if you ever compete in the N.Kentucky show ran by Roger and Sandy make sure your ripped, that is what the certainly judge on.

I don't think you stirred anything up. This is a good discussion and we're able to have it without any issues b/c we're adults here. On other boards, I'm sure there would have been call kinds of flaming, name calling, blah, blah, blah. We're able to debate the issue and do so without any problems.

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 08:26 PM

You're definitely right, some women do sleep their way into positions be it corporate America or on a stage. From my own experiences and from athletes I know I would say this kind of thing more prevalent in bbing than in the other 3 sports I compete in (PLing, BJJ, and Olympic Weightlifting). I think it's easier for things like that take place in BBing b/c it's a completely subjective sport. You don't have to lift a weight a certain way or accumulate points or get a submission.

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Kaz best way to become a judge is start with the first BB show of the year and test judge. Most of the time you can go to prejudging and tell the head judge you want to test judge. You will sit behind the judges and score on the same sheets as the judges. You must score 80% or higher in 2 local shows and then the state show. Once you've done that then u qualify to judge. My advice would be to contact the state chairman and let him know your available before each show months in advance. Pester him. Get to know your promotors. Not a bad gig because you get a free hotel and food. The best seat in the house and I've been paid as much as $150 for a show. My wife is a judge also and we cleared $300 for 1 show. Since me and the chairman came in together I get first dibs at most shows but we spread the wealth. I've judged 4 shows in my state in one year but that's a lot of traveling also.

kazman68
10-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Kaz best way to become a judge is start with the first BB show of the year and test judge. Most of the time you can go to prejudging and tell the head judge you want to test judge. You will sit behind the judges and score on the same sheets as the judges. You must score 80% or higher in 2 local shows and then the state show. Once you've done that then u qualify to judge. My advice would be to contact the state chairman and let him know your available before each show months in advance. Pester him. Get to know your promotors. Not a bad gig because you get a free hotel and food. The best seat in the house and I've been paid as much as $150 for a show. My wife is a judge also and we cleared $300 for 1 show. Since me and the chairman came in together I get first dibs at most shows but we spread the wealth. I've judged 4 shows in my state in one year but that's a lot of traveling also.

Thank you, I was going to pm you about how and where to start, but you answered my question very well.

Fit Guru
10-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Your welcome. It's a blast. What I like is looking forward to seeing people that u only see once or twice a year.

Vicious 13
10-28-2012, 10:30 PM
This is the reason I love this so much like ss said we are all adults here able to discuss and debate without any flaming name calling or negging