PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Aids...

SisterSteel
11-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I was wondering how many here at MC foam roll, take ice baths or contracts showers, stretch, take epsom salt baths, get massages, etc to help speed up their recovery and keep injuries to a minimum?

I stretch, foam roll, and take contrast showers at least 3x week to help my recovery from my brutal training sessions. I used to take ice baths but haven't in a while. I also have deload weeks scheduled into my training help keep me from falling apart, lol.

What do you do....

Vicious 13
11-03-2012, 03:30 AM
I do ice baths and Epsom salt baths I stretch a lot and steam room a lot

SisterSteel
11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm basically making this thread to help open the eyes of the newbs on here. I wish someone told me about these recovery aids way back when I got started. It would have helped A LOT.

Dath
11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Stretching has always been part of my regiment....couple months ago I began incorporating the foam roller for my lower back. Massages also help a lot for me, wifey is a massage therapist so I'm lucky :)

Skyling35
11-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Foam roller is my best friend.

So many uses from rolling injection sites out that knotted. To using it after leg days or when I do lots of leg kicks. Makes a world of difference for me.

My illiotibial band running the outside of my leg gets irritated from just about anything I do and with a foam roller it keeps it loose and relaxed.

Ironguruera
11-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Another jacked lady on ironmag turned me onto the foam roller. It's awesome!

zedhed
11-03-2012, 12:55 PM
My variation of foam rolling, I use a stone rolling pin. Works for me.
Also epsom salt baths if really sore and they really do work wonders. The salts actually absorb thru your skin.
I highly recommend an epsome salt bath with SisterSteel, will make you a new person. Enjoy!

NTL
11-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I was reading up on things that help acne on the back last night and read up on epsom salt. I picked up some after the gym this morning and took a bath with 2 cups added.I hope it helps and the other benifits would be a plus.

Ironguruera
11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I was reading up on things that help acne on the back last night and read up on epsom salt. I picked up some after the gym this morning and took a bath with 2 cups added.I hope it helps and the other benifits would be a plus.

No to derail this thread. Have u tried b-5/pantothenic acid for your acne? Try 2-3 grams Ed. Works well for me! It's the main ingredient in acnedren.
The acne nail in the coffin for me anyways is 10mg nolva Ed while on cycle. The combo of those 2 clears 80-90% of acne for me.

SisterSteel
11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Another jacked lady on ironmag turned me onto the foam roller. It's awesome!

Once you have used your foam roller for sometime, you can move onto the rumble roller. It's a bit like a torture device but it feels ooooh soooo good. The nodules on it help get even deeper and break up knots, adhesions, etc.

What you can also do and is a favorite among many grapplers at my school is to take a PVC pipe, cap the ends, and put water in the pipe. You can freeze it and than roll it. That feels heavenly.

SisterSteel
11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I highly recommend an epsome salt bath with SisterSteel, will make you a new person. Enjoy!

What can I say.... that hot water just gets me going. ;)

Ironguruera
11-03-2012, 04:17 PM
What can I say.... that hot water just gets me going. ;)

Women loves baths! hard to get down to business in there though lol.

Vicious 13
11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
U just need a bigger bath a jacuzzi bath

Frustratez
11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Foam roller is my best friend.

So many uses from rolling injection sites out that knotted. To using it after leg days or when I do lots of leg kicks. Makes a world of difference for me.

My illiotibial band running the outside of my leg gets irritated from just about anything I do and with a foam roller it keeps it loose and relaxed.

I think most mma and wrestlers use foam rollers . I thought my coach was a god when he showed me how to use one lol. I need to get a new one I lost mine during moving .

Ecto
11-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I've never used anything. I guess I must enjoy some low level soreness. But what is this foam roller you guys keep talking about? I suppose i could just Google it.

kazman68
11-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I've never used anything. I guess I must enjoy some low level soreness. But what is this foam roller you guys keep talking about? I suppose i could just Google it.

Foam rollers are great for loosing up trigger points, helping relax tight muscles.

bdad
11-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I use a chiropractor regularly.

mryar
11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I used to be a huge believer in stretching. Back in 2007 I did p90x for I think 3 cycles, and I did the stretch routine about 2-3x a week (said to only do it once), and I found out about a year later after stopping that was something causing me to lose gains. Here's an article about how stretching before a workout causes decreased reps. I have no idea about stretching after. Though I haven't noticed any performance decreases in my sports I play (basketball, skiing) from not stretching at all. Seems like the activity causes enough looseness in the muscle as long as I use good form always.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/08/stretching-before-workouts-makes-you.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MjtxplvJjdQ/UEC-ylBcRjI/AAAAAAAAJwU/vpPaWzCnlTc/s1600/a.JPG

I have heard good things about the foam roller, haven't tried it myself.

Light muscle work during the week after and before you workout does seem to help the muscle (as long as the muscle isn't injured, IE not near 1 rep max, guessing 60% max).

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/05/two-max-isometric-contractions-reduce.html
"the execution of only no more than 2 isometric maximal contractions (duration 3s, 45s rest between contractions) at an elbow-flexor angle of 20° (where 0° would indicate a straight arm / stretch position) on something a bodybuilder would probably call a "preacher bench" can have statistically significant effects your curl performance and muscle damage during an eccentric biceps workout 48h later. "
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cMGdR3ofklg/T7zxdgngMUI/AAAAAAAAEp4/6eI0Xpy9P78/s1600/a.PNG

Here's an article on how hot baths can help prevent muscle damage: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/05/speed-up-your-regeneration-and-propel.html

Ironguruera
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Here ecto http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=Foam+roller

I have the 18" black one...lol

There's a great video of joe defranco on YouTube using it. I'll see if I can find if.

Edit---here ya go. This man has tons of great rehab aid techniques

http://youtu.be/cgxr6xAB5ZM

kazman68
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM
I do facial stretching during a workout(between sets) I think it has helped in many ways, flexibility,full rom, and definition, and growth..I'm the only guy in the gym that does them consistently, when I was in martial arts my instructor Benny Meng was impressed how flexible a 260# man could be..I will always do stretching between sets, I'm a firm believer in it.

SisterSteel
11-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I do facial stretching during a workout(between sets) I think it has helped in many ways, flexibility,full rom, and definition, and growth..I'm the only guy in the gym that does them consistently, when I was in martial arts my instructor Benny Meng was impressed how flexible a 260# man could be..I will always do stretching between sets, I'm a firm believer in it.

That's interesting. There are articles that say static stretching causes temporary loss of strength and instead one should perform a dynamic warm up.

kazman68
11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
That's interesting. There are articles that say static stretching causes temporary loss of strength and instead one should perform a dynamic warm up.

In my experience it has been nothing but helpful. It's old school from the Parillo and Dante schools of though, stretch the fascia giving the muscle more room to grow. That is one theory on m,muscle memory, that when you start training again the fascia is already stretched out and no restriction takes place, of course there is more to muscle memory that that. But I suppose it's a (possible) partial exploitation. Anyway, like I said I believe it's been very beneficial to me.

SisterSteel
11-19-2012, 09:44 PM
In my experience it has been nothing but helpful. It's old school from the Parillo and Dante schools of though, stretch the fascia giving the muscle more room to grow. That is one theory on m,muscle memory, that when you start training again the fascia is already stretched out and no restriction takes place, of course there is more to muscle memory that that. But I suppose it's a (possible) partial exploitation. Anyway, like I said I believe it's been very beneficial to me.

That's all the matters, is that it's been working. I think this discussion will help some newbs try some new things for their recovery.

kazman68
11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
That's all the matters, is that it's been working. I think this discussion will help some newbs try some new things for their recovery.

+ I like being flexible, I know guys who are sub 200# and have the flexibility of an 80 yr old man. I think that is a serius weakness, that should be adreesed. thanks for your comment Sister.

exphys88
11-20-2012, 12:05 AM

You are correct, it's widely accepted that for sports that require explosive strength, static stretching before hand is detrimental to force production.

Additionally, static stretching before hand has never demonstrated a reduction in injury.

Warmup and dynamic movements/stretching are optimal in preparing for a sport/exercise and injury prevention.

http://stayconnected.nsca-lift.org/tag/stretching/

chrisotpherm
11-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I was wondering how many here at MC foam roll, take ice baths or contracts showers, stretch, take epsom salt baths, get massages, etc to help speed up their recovery and keep injuries to a minimum?

I stretch, foam roll, and take contrast showers at least 3x week to help my recovery from my brutal training sessions. I used to take ice baths but haven't in a while. I also have deload weeks scheduled into my training help keep me from falling apart, lol.

What do you do....

Sister we a video of you doing all these as I just don't know how to do it. Lol, please don't ban me, just saw some of your pics and well do I need to say more??? Lol.

I do a light stretch before I workout and a thorough stretch in isolating the muscle works. I agree the foam roller is an amazing aid. The rubber one tough sometimes in the areas pinned as built up scare tissue can make the area tender to workout. Sometimes I take hot showers and stretch while taking one as my muscle began to relax and can get a better stretch.

zedhed
11-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Im in with christo. I really think that SS should put up vids on how to do all of this stuff that she mentions in this thread. That would be extremely beneficial to the entire board IMO.

AgentYes
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Epson salts baths after any PR :)

I have always done pre habit dynamic activation. Lately I've added rehab a la Dave tates little shoulder routine and that problem area is about 95% resolved.

zedhed
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Good for you bro. Yep I really like a lot of the stuff that Mr. Tate suggest. Also like Diesel Crew for rehab stuff.

AgentYes
11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Good for you bro. Yep I really like a lot of the stuff that Mr. Tate suggest. Also like Diesel Crew for rehab stuff.

My shoulder was absolutely wretched. Coupled with tendinitis in the other elbow it was pretty sad.

red crayon
11-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Back in the 80's I read a few articles by John Parillo so I got his book and tried what he suggested. After many experiments I found that streching the muscles after I worked them gave me the best results. You need to remember that most of us are into BodyBuilding so if a thing reduces the amount of weight we can lift that doesnt mean much as long as we get the desired results. I have never seen anyone streach on a regular basis, I do but I guess Im an odd ball. Like I said I will try almost anything and keep doing it as long as I get the desired results, ie. Muscle growth.

AgentYes
11-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Back in the 80's I read a few articles by John Parillo so I got his book and tried what he suggested. After many experiments I found that streching the muscles after I worked them gave me the best results. You need to remember that most of us are into BodyBuilding so if a thing reduces the amount of weight we can lift that doesnt mean much as long as we get the desired results. I have never seen anyone streach on a regular basis, I do but I guess Im an odd ball. Like I said I will try almost anything and keep doing it as long as I get the desired results, ie. Muscle growth.

I lucky that I have had my pre workout routine since day one so its automatic. I can only think of two other people at all four gyms that I go to that I see doing anything similar.

kazman68
11-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Epson salts baths after any PR :)

I have always done pre habit dynamic activation. Lately I've added rehab a la Dave tates little shoulder routine and that problem area is about 95% resolved.

Dave Tate knows his stuff..knowledgeable guy for sure.

kazman68
11-29-2012, 02:22 AM
I have consulted with Dr.Serrano as well, he was close to Roger and Sandy Riedinger(my nutritionists) He worked with Mike Francois as well as another Beverly guy John Meadows, he writes for T-nation as well. Lots of very intelligent people.

AgentYes
11-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Dave Tate knows his stuff..knowledgeable guy for sure.

It was humbling to realize the pain was due to weak muscles. I mean I can strict standing barbell OHP 105lbs.... But no i needed to wave around some 3lb dumbells to get stronger. Then I looked at Tate and decided "sir yes sir"

kazman68
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
It was humbling to realize the pain was due to weak muscles. I mean I can strict standing barbell OHP 105lbs.... But no i needed to wave around some 3lb dumbells to get stronger. Then I looked at Tate and decided "sir yes sir"

The man knows his shit,never had the pleasure of meeting him.