PDA

View Full Version : Enrolled in my NASM course

Frustratez
11-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Went ahead and enrolled in NASM to be a CPT. No payments till 1st of February. Payments are $98.01 a month for 12 months. after getting CPT Pro package and eLearning course . I'm pumped to get my career rolling!!

kazman68
11-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Went ahead and enrolled in NASM to be a CPT. No payments till 1st of February. Payments are $98.01 a month for 12 months. after getting CPT Pro package and eLearning course . I'm pumped to get my career rolling!!

Very good! I never could find my niche in the work place, and have done every kind of job possible, good luck with your new career. Although I really liked my night security job, but the owners ran into the ground and it's now closed.

exphys88
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Good choice. NASM, ACSM and NSCA are good certs.

Nelson303
11-23-2012, 12:29 AM
I was going to do it also. But after shadowing 2 trainers for a day. I said fuck that. People give excuses for everything. I would freak on people. Glad you can do it bro. Help the fat ass peoples get in shape. Just network the shit out of yourself and you will kill it.

CWB
11-23-2012, 12:40 AM

Congratulations brother. I have wanted to look into this possibility myself. Could you share why you chose to go with NASM, and if it has benefits over other options please?

Frustratez
11-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Congratulations brother. I have wanted to look into this possibility myself. Could you share why you chose to go with NASM, and if it has benefits over other options please?

Have a buddy that works for a company partnered with my gym and him and his boss kept pushing me to choose nasm. They gave me a discount thing but I didn't use it because I chose the finance option. Golds gym and other gyms or personal training company's really like nasm certs apparently and I'm all about it if that means I can jump in the zone and start making $$$ .

layddually
11-23-2012, 11:19 AM
What kind of money can you make being a trainer? Wife and I are thinking about paying all our bills including house and me getting a job like this so it would be like retired lol.

exphys88
11-23-2012, 11:46 AM
It's hard to make it as a trainer. Your hours are shitty, usually working early mornings and evenings. You have to be good at marketing and selling yourself, and they generally only do well in urban areas where people have a lot of money.

Im the fitness director for 2 gyms and I manage a team of personal trainers.

CWB
11-23-2012, 01:57 PM
What kind of money can you make being a trainer? Wife and I are thinking about paying all our bills including house and me getting a job like this so it would be like retired lol.

I looked into this and its not something I could use to support myself, but Im still interested as having it as an option. The research I did suggested that on average personal trainers in my area make 8 to 10,000 a year. Ex explained it well in his post.

layddually
11-23-2012, 03:05 PM
At $40-70 an hr and only make $8-10k a year hmmm?

exphys88
11-23-2012, 03:43 PM

Scheduling is an issue, it's not like you can schedule 8 clients in a row every day.
Also, most trainers need a gym to train in and gyms typically take 40% of your hourly rate.
I'm not knocking it, it's just a difficult job to make an actual career out of. It's a good part time job while you're going to school or doing something else though.

CWB
11-23-2012, 05:29 PM

I think the whole hiding as much as you can because the government is going to take as much as they can plays a part in it, but I think it has more to do with the area I live in. Im sure theres guys that do far better than $10,000 a year.

layddually
11-23-2012, 06:01 PM
The trainer I hired is booked like 8-10 hrs every day and he only takes cash lol

layddually
11-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Population in this area is around 3million and the main city is known for health nuts lol. We have like 7 golds, 2 lifetimes, idk how many 24's, 5 planets and about 2 dozen small gyms.

Frustratez
11-23-2012, 06:32 PM
It's hard to make it as a trainer. Your hours are shitty, usually working early mornings and evenings. You have to be good at marketing and selling yourself, and they generally only do well in urban areas where people have a lot of money.

Im the fitness director for 2 gyms and I manage a team of personal trainers.

:bummed

exphys88
11-23-2012, 06:35 PM
The trainer I hired is booked like 8-10 hrs every day and he only takes cash lol

He must have his own gym, because gyms don't just allow trainers to use their facility for free.
I'm sure some trainers make a ton of money, it's just not that common unless you live in a city or are just an exceptional trainer w great marketing.

I have a staff of about 10 trainers and none of them work more than 15 hours a week training. Every one of them has degrees and some have over 20 years experience. But, I live in a rural area too.
The place where you live makes a huge difference.

I'm just playing devils advocate here because after getting a masters degree in exercise physiology, I wish I would've pursued physical therapy instead so I had more job options.

layddually
11-23-2012, 08:54 PM
He doesn't own the gym so idk how that works the trainers at this gym don't have set rates either his are $40 others there are higher

exphys88
11-23-2012, 08:59 PM
He doesn't own the gym so idk how that works the trainers at this gym don't have set rates either his are $40 others there are higher

$40 is a great deal. Our trainers set their own rates too, they just have to pay the gym 40%. He may have some other deal w the gym.

layddually
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
I go there at 6am and he was booked till 4pm everyday I go

Ironguruera
11-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Scheduling is an issue, it's not like you can schedule 8 clients in a row every day.
Also, most trainers need a gym to train in and gyms typically take 40% of your hourly rate.
I'm not knocking it, it's just a difficult job to make an actual career out of. It's a good part time job while you're going to school or doing something else though.

Yeah I've had a few real go get em buddies try the personal trainer thing and gave up. The hardest part is getting good clients that are dedicated to the new lifestyle and show up. They all said it was the same. Gym takes a huge cut, ppl don't show or call 5 minutes before a session to cancel. hard to make money when you have a hand full of customers lol.

To train at the golds or 24hr fitness u must be employed by that gym. the gym wants to make their cut. that guy has a great gig if he is booked! That's very rare.

If u can get in with celebs then yes it can be very lucrative.

exphys88
11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Some guys w the right personality, a great physique and in the right population can do very well, even w little education.

kazman68
11-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Some guys w the right personality, a great physique and in the right population can do very well, even w little education.

I used to manage a gym and I had a trainer who did very well. The lady's loved him. He also had good knowledge and came up with creative workouts, he was a real asset.

exphys88
11-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I used to manage a gym and I had a trainer who did very well. The lady's loved him. He also had good knowledge and came up with creative workouts, he was a real asset.

Some people are real great at it, but for most, it's just a stepping stone.

kazman68
11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Some people are real great at it, but for most, it's just a stepping stone.

I agree EX