PDA

View Full Version : Modified 5x5

layddually
12-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Anyone tried 5x5 except made it 5x12 or something similar for more size than strength.

zedhed
12-21-2012, 01:03 PM
The thing is bro you need to remember that the typical 5x5 is more or less for the major movers (muscle groups) so if you are gonna up the reps like that then you will seriously need to reduce the weight.
Or you might consider doing the 3x5 for your big lifts and adding in iso stuff on say Tue, Thur and Sat. I say 3x5 so that you can recover adequatly from those big lifts.
This way I belive that you are getting excellent stimulation to your major muscle groups as well as getting in that direct work for size over strength.
Of course I could be full of it too...LOL.

layddually
12-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Here was my thought start at 5x12 as you up the weights your reps will obviously lower once you get to a weight you can only do 5x5 with stay at that weight and slowly try to up your reps back to 5x12 then start upping weights again. Just a thought idk that's why I'm asking lol.

bigcivic
12-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Here was my thought start at 5x12 as you up the weights your reps will obviously lower once you get to a weight you can only do 5x5 with stay at that weight and slowly try to up your reps back to 5x12 then start upping weights again. Just a thought idk that's why I'm asking lol.

Interesting sounds legit tho

zedhed
12-21-2012, 04:41 PM
LOL bro thats pretty much how I start out the 5x5. The beginning weights are so light that I do roughly 5x12-15. Then I up the weights every week till I hit 5x5 and progress as normal from there.

layddually
12-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Just did it today wasn't bad I kinda liked it but I added a couple things lol

zedhed
12-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Bro its all about what works for you and what your plans are.

layddually
12-22-2012, 04:20 PM
That's the shitty part is I haven't found what works for me yet.

AgentYes
12-22-2012, 04:37 PM
That's the shitty part is I haven't found what works for me yet.

How long have you been training? How many programs have you tried? How long did you stick with each one? For the first eighteen months of training ANY program will work as long as you focus on progression from workout to workout. That means each workout will be an improvement in the workout prior whether its one more rep or five more pounds on the bar. The strange rep system you describe does seem to embrace the principal of progression so I assume you have been using it.

layddually
12-22-2012, 05:07 PM
How long have you been training? How many programs have you tried? How long did you stick with each one? For the first eighteen months of training ANY program will work as long as you focus on progression from workout to workout. That means each workout will be an improvement in the workout prior whether its one more rep or five more pounds on the bar. The strange rep system you describe does seem to embrace the principal of progression so I assume you have been using it.

Training off and on last 24 yrs lol I started trying to train when I was about 10. But got back into it seriously about 4 yrs ago. I stick with a program for about 2 months if I don't feel I'm getting any results I will either modify or completely change it. I was using a trainer for the last month and half but because of this god awful exhaustion I have had I cant wake up early enough to keep going to that gym.

AgentYes
12-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Training off and on last 24 yrs lol I started trying to train when I was about 10. But got back into it seriously about 4 yrs ago. I stick with a program for about 2 months if I don't feel I'm getting any results I will either modify or completely change it. I was using a trainer for the last month and half but because of this god awful exhaustion I have had I cant wake up early enough to keep going to that gym.

What results is or that you don't feel you are getting? I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. If you have done twelve programs during the last two years quitting each one because you weren't getting your desired results there's SOMETHING going on.

layddually
12-22-2012, 05:28 PM
What results is or that you don't feel you are getting? I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. If you have done twelve programs during the last two years quitting each one because you weren't getting your desired results there's SOMETHING going on.

About 6 over the last 2 years I had one that worked for almost a year but then nothing and couldn't get any where even with several changes.

SisterSteel
12-22-2012, 06:29 PM

2 months isn't enough time to see if something is working. I tell everyone when they try a program they should give it at least 5-6months. It doesn't matter if it's DC, FST-7, 5/3/1, WSBB, 5x5, Sheiko, etc.

You have to give your body enough time to reap the benefits and some programs require a long period of time to be effective.

layddually
12-22-2012, 06:52 PM
One reason I changed up so many times is my goals changed so many times. I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted. But I have I hard time with certain exercises too. On top of my shoulder seperation. I also have a hard time getting certain muscles to kick in. If I flex my chest it looks weird as hell because there isn't much muscle on the bottom 1/4. I also have a section on my rear shoulder had a massage therapist tell me there should be muscle there but all she felt is bone.

AgentYes
12-22-2012, 07:48 PM
One reason I changed up so many times is my goals changed so many times. I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted. But I have I hard time with certain exercises too. On top of my shoulder seperation. I also have a hard time getting certain muscles to kick in. If I flex my chest it looks weird as hell because there isn't much muscle on the bottom 1/4. I also have a section on my rear shoulder had a massage therapist tell me there should be muscle there but all she felt is bone.

It sounds like there are a few things going on that are messing you up. Do you know what your goals are NOW? I have. Friend like you she goes back and forth between wanting to be skinny and wanting to be muscular. The end result is she is never either one of those things and always just looks regular. You really will do best when you know what you want to achieve short term and long term. I find it also helps to frame those goals two kits ways. One that you see as realistic and achievable and one that would be ultimate Dream scenario. If you can so that I think you will vet some solid advice in specific programs.

As far ad your Injuries it sounds like they can all be worked around and that is what I would do. If there is a lift that isn't reasonable safe or effective for you to include switch it out for one that hits the same muscle but can be performed. Make sense?

layddually
12-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Yea I have a short term and long term goal set this time.

Ironguruera
12-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Seems like this shoulder issue is really setting u back. I know u are doing this completion. After that I say go get it fixed. once recovered u can progress far past where u were.

It's very hard to develop a strong chest with a bum shoulder.

red crayon
12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Setting a goal is the very first thing that you should do, no matter what you do! With weight lifting there are really only 3 long term goals that you can acheive. More size, More strength, or better over all fitness. Pick one and go for it! The mirror will tell you if the size is coming. Your one rep max will tell you if your getting stronger. Then getting leaner with a little muscle is the fitness one. Analize what you really want and be honest with yourself then go for it 110%.

SisterSteel
12-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Yea I have a short term and long term goal set this time.

That's good. You should have clearly defined goals (long and short term). Make sure your short term goals get you to your long term ones and keep them realistic. I don't think it's wise to make a goal 1000lbs squat when you haven't squatted 500lbs yet.

zedhed
12-24-2012, 08:01 PM
You are one sensible sista suga!
Good advice here.:)

layddually
12-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't really have a strength goal set just size that's why the high reps

SisterSteel
12-25-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't really have a strength goal set just size that's why the high reps

Than your goals would be a weight and bf% goal. You may want to put some lower reps and higher weight movements in your training. You'd be surprised how well it works on packing size on you. I don't perform any high reps (not bbing high) and it's worked well for me.

Vicious 13
12-25-2012, 02:02 PM
The 5x5 has really helped me pack on strength and size... I think the change up in general kick started my body... Gets hard to go heavy w o a spotter but I still do it... W my shoulders sometimes lift off are rough but even they are getting stronger... I like the way people get nervous when they see me load up 265... I know I could get cleaner sets w a spotter but that also always gives me that boost to know that last rep has to get up

Sinister613
12-25-2012, 06:11 PM
265 military, impressive if so!

layddually
12-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Than your goals would be a weight and bf% goal. You may want to put some lower reps and higher weight movements in your training. You'd be surprised how well it works on packing size on you. I don't perform any high reps (not bbing high) and it's worked well for me.

That's why I was saying the mixed reps. It will give both strength and size. But then also goes back to high rep but keeping heavier weight then raising the weight again till back to 5 reps. Maybe I need to make a graph I don't think everyone understands what I'm saying.

Vicious 13
12-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Haha I wish both my arms would fall off... Bench, I'm not that big of guy I think it surprises people... I haven't military pressed in a while because of shoulders last I recall i was only repping around 185 seated... Standing I think was less because I was having a hard time w balance...

zedhed
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
185 is not a bad Military press at all bro. If you are having shoulder issues and still wanna MP then try partial reps. Get the middle part as that is the most important. By that I mean do not go lower then your ears and no lock out at the top. This is the only way I can do em.

zedhed
12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
That's why I was saying the mixed reps. It will give both strength and size. But then also goes back to high rep but keeping heavier weight then raising the weight again till back to 5 reps. Maybe I need to make a graph I don't think everyone understands what I'm saying.

Yeah bro for sure put it up man. Would be interesting to see exactly what your thinking here bro.

layddually
12-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Well I'm going to try to make a simple description.

Example:
Squats 5x12-90, 5x12-110, 5x10-120, 5x8-130, 5x5-140 ok can only push five reps with this weight so 5x6-140, 5x7-140, 5x8-140, 5x10-140, 5x12-140 ok can do 12 reps now this
5x10-150, 5x8-160, 5x6-170, 5x5-180
5x6-180, 5x8-180, 5x10-180, 5x12-180,
5x10-190, 5x8-200, 5x5-210, 5x7-210.

This is imaginary weight numbers just for the example.
The idea is use weight you can only push this many reps if you have upped the weight from the last exercise but you can push same number of rep then push the same.

layddually
12-26-2012, 09:08 PM
I couldn't figure out how to graph it. The reason I thought about this is because of my shoulder I can't progress weight as fast so I figure mix between upping weight with low rep and higher reps.

zedhed
12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Go for it bro. You dont know if you dont give it a shot.

layddually
12-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Go for it bro. You dont know if you dont give it a shot.

I am going to try it but freaking got sick.

zedhed
12-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Oh man I so dam hate being sick.
Get better and kick ass bro!