PDA

View Full Version : Bigger shoulders

Orange24
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
What do you guys do to get these babies growing. Definitely get some good presses in during the week but I'm lacking the roundness and protruding delt muscle that makes the arms complete. Any tips would be great.

babablacksheep
12-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I had to really concentrate on the mind muscle connection with my delts....I need to use the heaviest wight possible while still getting a good squeeze and just continually focus on the delt

mugzy
12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
I have found most spend too much time on the wieght and not enough time on the reps. Two years ago I dropped the compound excercises and started
working higher reps, supersets and drop sets. The shoulders have respondered very well.... good luck.

Ironguruera
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I have found most spend too much time on the wieght and not enough time on the reps. Two years ago I dropped the compound excercises and started
working higher reps, supersets and drop sets. The shoulders have respondered very well.... good luck.

Agreed. I do giant sets. Start with rear delt, then side, then front. I go through this circuit 3-4 times. Then do a superset with cables.

Heavy weight did nothing for my shoulders

CWB
12-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Ive honestly built the majority of the size in my delts with higher weight and not a ton of reps through a mix of overhead presses. At one point I decided to pick one exercise from a couple workouts a week to finish with 10 sets of 10. I had to drop the weight considerably but when I did this with overhead presses on the smith machine it was sick. I would be spent but the pump all the way through my delts and traps was amazing. So Id say mix it up every once and a while and work hard and youll get those delts growing.

Sherk
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Everybody's muscles respond differently. So try one option mentioned here for a month and if you're not seeing some sort of progress then switch to the other. Both are great and I do both. The heavier sets got my shoulders to pop and the higher reps gave my shoulders the strength and stamina to lift heavier. I use that concept for my entire body. Also concentrate on the movement and contraction of the muscle. Picture the muscle working and try not to throw the weight around. Let the delts do 100% of the work. If they're not then drop the weight because its to heavy.

Orange24
12-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks a lot. Very helpful guys

AgentYes
12-24-2012, 01:52 AM
If they are lagging hit them twice a week. One day super heavy low rep sets one day Mountain dog Style. My Delts are genetically blessed but mountain dog training turned them into little boulders. I will pull a workout from my log and post it here.

And of course... lots of lateral raises. Don't go above the shoulder height that engages the traps more.

zedhed
12-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Hey Agent still waiting to see a day in the life bro.
Im a taking you at your word man. LOL...

SisterSteel
12-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Heavy presses like standing military, Z- press, push press. You can even use reverse bands to allow you to use heavier weight because we all know more weight equals more mass. Also, heavy front raises, hanging side raises, and rear delt work.

Orange24
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
My gosh I finished today with lateral raises 2 sets 8-12. Great pump. Haven't felt that in a long while. Definitely the mind to muscle connection makes a difference.

AgentYes
12-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey Agent still waiting to see a day in the life bro.
Im a taking you at your word man. LOL...

I forgot!!

SHOULDER DAY

A. DYNAMIC ACTIVATION

B. STRICT STANDING BARBELL OVERHEAD PRESS

Warmup x 5 (muscle warmupp light weight)
Warmup x 5 (muscle warm up light weight)
warmuo x 3 (CNS war up heavier)
Max set 4-6 reps
Drop weight to Max set 8-10 reps

C. LATERAL RAISES (Partials)
x10 ten seconds rest
x10 ten seconds rest
x10 ten seconds rest
x10 ten seconds rest
x10
Soooo hard like stinging bees
By the end

D. FRONT RAISES
x15
x15

E. FACE PULLS WITH ROPE

MMC REAR DELTS

F. SHOULDER PRESS MACHINE NEUTRAL GRIP

G. IF YOU DO DIRECT TRAP WORK HAMMERSTRENGTH SHRUGS
3sec hold @top

G. SINGLE ARM SEATED DB PRESS
x 8each
x 8each
x10each
x10 BILATERAL

Ironguruera
12-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I forgot!!

SHOULDER DAY

A. DYNAMIC ACTIVATION

B. STRICT STANDING BARBELL OVERHEAD PRESS

Warmup x 5 (muscle warmupp light weight)
Warmup x 5 (muscle warm up light weight)
warmuo x 3 (CNS war up heavier)
Max set 4-6 reps
Drop weight to Max set 8-10 reps

C. LATERAL RAISES (Partials)
x10 ten seconds rest
x10 ten seconds rest
x10 ten seconds rest
x10 ten seconds rest
x10
Soooo hard like stinging bees
By the end

D. FRONT RAISES
x15
x15

E. FACE PULLS WITH ROPE

MMC REAR DELTS

F. SHOULDER PRESS MACHINE NEUTRAL GRIP

G. IF YOU DO DIRECT TRAP WORK HAMMERSTRENGTH SHRUGS
3sec hold @top

G. SINGLE ARM SEATED DB PRESS
x 8each
x 8each
x10each
x10 BILATERAL

That's a Ton of volume! That's an advanced routine for sure!

Orange24
12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I feel like I might die if I do that... like actually die

zedhed
12-26-2012, 05:37 PM
^^^LMAO now thats funny bro. ^^^
Nice, Agent!

Minxen33
12-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm doing this for sure...shoulder day tomorrow!

AgentYes
12-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I respond well to high volume. You can drop everything at the end starting with the shoulder press machine neutral grip or trade out the last three for hammer strength military press one Max set 4-6 drop weight one more set Max 8-12 reps.

I mix it up sometimes I will do one widow maker set of 20reps on the hammer strength on the end. This is why I have a six day split. No doubling up body parts. FWIW the complete workout above took 1:15 with a partner really not bad.

Ironguruera
12-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I feel like I might die if I do that... like actually die

No offense orange u are way to green for a program like that and will surely overtrain. maybe do something Insane like that once a month or something to shock em but that's an advanced program u need to work up to for sure.

Orange24
12-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I would never even consider trying haha

Ironguruera
12-26-2012, 11:19 PM
I would never even consider trying haha

Lol for a shocker I do Vince girondas 10 sets of 10 with 15-20 seconds rest. It's tough!

kazman68
12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
753X2 On the lateral raises also medium/wide grip upright rows, nothing like have great medial deltoid development, for that wide look.

yes that's me in younger days :)

Ironguruera
12-27-2012, 01:23 AM
753X2 On the lateral raises also medium/wide grip upright rows, nothing like have great medial deltoid development, for that wide look.

yes that's me in younger days :)

Do u like ez curl or straight bar on the uprights kaz?

kazman68
12-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Do u like ez curl or straight bar on the uprights kaz?

I prefer straight bar myself.

Ironguruera
12-27-2012, 03:10 AM
I used to do upright rows often. I think I'll rotate them back in.

AgentYes
12-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Cannot do the uprights between my hanky shoulder and my hanky elbow :/

AgentYes
12-27-2012, 04:39 AM

*janky

Ironguruera
12-27-2012, 03:24 PM

What's wrong with the shoulder and elbow? Maybe we can help.

AgentYes
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
What's wrong with the shoulder and elbow? Maybe we can help.

The shoulder has actually improved a lot since I retired from barbell bench press and started doing dave tates shoulder rehab routine. The elbow is tendinitis and it ebbs and flows. Pressure treatments with a floss band help but there are just some things I cannot do. Unilateral direct arm work is out too.

Ironguruera
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
The shoulder has actually improved a lot since I retired from barbell bench press and started doing dave tates shoulder rehab routine. The elbow is tendinitis and it ebbs and flows. Pressure treatments with a floss band help but there are just some things I cannot do. Unilateral direct arm work is out too.

Have u tried deep tissue massage? My wife is a massage therapist and I had her co-worker work on my tendonitis in my elbow. It offered tremendous relief.

U may look Into the peptide tb500. Kaz had a log going on it.

Sounds like u are on the right track. Staying away from inflaming exercises is key. Certain tricep moves killed my tennis elbow.

SisterSteel
12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Most tendonitis is caused by an imbalance between your flexors and extensors. If you're having pain in the inside of the elbow that's because your flexors are being worked far more than your extensors. You need to stretch them and work those extensors. This is VERY common among powerlifters because we pull the bar into our back when we squat.

Ironguruera
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Most tendonitis is caused by an imbalance between your flexors and extensors. If you're having pain in the inside of the elbow that's because your flexors are being worked far more than your extensors. You need to stretch them and work those extensors. This is VERY common among powerlifters because we pull the bar into our back when we squat.

Interesting sister!! I have been slacking on my forearm training lately. Other then what they get from hammer curls I haven't been doing any direct forearm work. They don't seem to grow regardless of what I've tried. Giant sets, supersets, high rep u name it. I get a great pump but that's all that ever happens. They get mildly more cut and vascular.

SisterSteel
12-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Interesting sister!! I have been slacking on my forearm training lately. Other then what they get from hammer curls I haven't been doing any direct forearm work. They don't seem to grow regardless of what I've tried. Giant sets, supersets, high rep u name it. I get a great pump but that's all that ever happens. They get mildly more cut and vascular.

Don't forget to stretch your wrists. Grab your wrist with your fingers pointing down and stretch. You can graduate to using a wall. For the wall, be sure to place your hand up by your head (height wise). That will cause a greater stretch.

red crayon
12-28-2012, 01:02 AM
I have watched a lot of people lift weights and most of them have an imbalance going on, its sad because that causes the pain. Even if the forearms dont seem to grow work them this will help keep the pain away. Have you ever worked your rotator cuff muscles?

Other things that sometimes cause it are doing barbell curls above your shoulders, and letting your arms fully extend as far as they can during a lift. Also no control on the negative part of a lift. Have you ever done any higher rep work? Higher rep work will help your tendons get stronger. Remember the tendons are at the joint. Most people complain of pain at the joint dont they?

AgentYes
12-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I have watched a lot of people lift weights and most of them have an imbalance going on, its sad because that causes the pain. Even if the forearms dont seem to grow work them this will help keep the pain away. Have you ever worked your rotator cuff muscles?

Other things that sometimes cause it are doing barbell curls above your shoulders, and letting your arms fully extend as far as they can during a lift. Also no control on the negative part of a lift. Have you ever done any higher rep work? Higher rep work will help your tendons get stronger. Remember the tendons are at the joint. Most people complain of pain at the joint dont they?

I have done it all as far as rep work and training styles. The tendinitis actually started when I did DC. I cannot do high volume (high rep) direct arm work anymore and also cannot do unilateral. I used to do direct forearm work (reverse curls pinwheel curls ) I can't now because of the tendon pain. Ironic lol.

Dave Rates shoulder rehab is a bunch of rotator cuff work and honestly I consider that problem 90% resolved now thanks to the rehab rotator work I have done. It definitely works! The close band thing is stretching I will try to find a video it is HEINOUS and even weirder Nos that I do it without a partner. I look like such a spaz lol.

SS has some awesome suggestions I will start working on. Oh when I do any curled I don't let my elbow go below forearm parallel to the floor. I can't!

AgentYes
12-28-2012, 01:49 AM
^^^
*Dave Tate's

red crayon
12-28-2012, 03:15 AM
I was just makeing some suggestions based on my observations. I dont know everything and invite anyone who knows a better way to point me in that direction. I have done all the lifting that I have done the same as any other natural lifter would. I would take my vitamins and supplements and be very careful while lifting.

I came here to learn and to try a different way. So any correction or help will be greatly appreciated! So far I have been very lucky and I havent had any major injuries. I have squated over 600 for reps and did dead lifts for reps over 600 as well, My bench sucks so I wont go there. I would bet that my form really sucked too. Those numbers are good but not good enough. Another bad thing is that I got side tracked because I was trying to put on some size during that time and might have gotten an inch from all of that. These days I dont care if any of my lifts go over 500 pounds but I want to look like I can easily lift more than that. Sorry I guess I got side tracked again.

AgentYes
12-28-2012, 05:24 AM
I was just makeing some suggestions based on my observations. I dont know everything and invite anyone who knows a better way to point me in that direction. I have done all the lifting that I have done the same as any other natural lifter would. I would take my vitamins and supplements and be very careful while lifting.

I came here to learn and to try a different way. So any correction or help will be greatly appreciated! So far I have been very lucky and I havent had any major injuries. I have squated over 600 for reps and did dead lifts for reps over 600 as well, My bench sucks so I wont go there. I would bet that my form really sucked too. Those numbers are good but not good enough. Another bad thing is that I got side tracked because I was trying to put on some size during that time and might have gotten an inch from all of that. These days I dont care if any of my lifts go over 500 pounds but I want to look like I can easily lift more than that. Sorry I guess I got side tracked again.

Oh my gosh I totally failed to convey my tone- text is so difficult with that sometimes. Obviously your rotator cuff suggestion was right on because it has worked for me! I totally appreciate your post. Smileys. I need to use more Smileys! :)

And now I will always have you to blame :D when I get made fun of for oversmileying :p

red crayon
12-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Back in 2006 I had an accident at work. I got hit in the head and wound up with 2 skull fractures. (This does relate to this thread) I went into a coma and had to have a craniotomy. Part of my brain doesnt work anymore. Its the part that gets mad so theres no worries. My wife says that Im a lot more polite now too. :) Its all good Im just glad to be here!

Yes Maam Thank you

zedhed
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
^^^And so are we bro!^^^ Glad to have you here.

AlphaMuscle
02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
To get the best shoulders you possible can, it is important to hit all three heads on the deltoids
This is my current shoulder workout:

I begin my workout warming up on the cables with very light weights performing side front and rear exercises 1- set 20 reps

The main workouts are performed at 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps on a pyramid system

Seated barbell press (behind the head) or dumbell press (try to alternate every month)

Side raises db to hit the side delts (lateral deltoid) - do this seated for isolation and improved technique

Side raises machine - side delts (lateral deltoid)

Rear deltoids exercise DB

Rear deltoid exercice on pec deck

Front raises DB for the anterior (front) deltoid.

I then finish up on shrugs

AgentYes
02-13-2013, 01:46 AM
I have horrible tendonitis in my left elbow most arm lifting really hurts it and I am even limited on how heavy of a dumbbell I can hoist with my left arm. It does OK on the lateral machine for side dealt is fine for overhead press and face pulls but I am stumped on what I can do for the front delt. Any ideas?

red crayon
02-14-2013, 03:08 AM
I dont know how bad it hurts or how limited your range of motion is but I will try and help. I have used the side raise machine (lateral machine) for my front delts by sitting sideways in the seat and doing one arm at a time. If you need to you can use the non-working arm to assist the one that is working. (Kinda like forced reps). You might also keep the weight light and do drop sets with weight plates or dumbbells. There are more things you can do but that should get you started. I hope this helps.

bigmike88
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
interesting, will try!

red crayon
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
If nothing else helps a muscle pain and you just cant seem to work around it you might have to take some time off. When most people take time off they still try and do some cardio, if they can, but no weight lifting. I know that sucks. I had to one time, I pulled a groin muscle and it just hurt almost every time I moved. After a couple of weeks off it got better. Good Luck.

Ironguruera
02-26-2013, 01:48 AM
I have horrible tendonitis in my left elbow most arm lifting really hurts it and I am even limited on how heavy of a dumbbell I can hoist with my left arm. It does OK on the lateral machine for side dealt is fine for overhead press and face pulls but I am stumped on what I can do for the front delt. Any ideas?

Agent yes. Have u looked into deep tissue massage?

My wife works this huge guy. He worked on my tendonitis and it offered a ton of relief. He said he could feel how it was all knotted up right away!
If its really bad u will prob wanna do a few sessions like 1 a week or so. However I got a ton of relief off just that 1st visit.

Check it out if u haven't already....I think if u can find competent skilled hands u will get some needed relief.

Mine was really limiting my tricep training.

Orange24
02-26-2013, 02:00 AM
100% agree here^^

SisterSteel
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Is it on the inside of the elbow? If it is, than you need to stretch more. The pain on the inside of the elbow (which many of us PLers get) is caused by your flexors getting over worked and your extensors not getting worked enough.

AlphaMuscle
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
To get the best shoulders you possible can, it is important to hit all three heads on the deltoids
This is my current shoulder workout:

I begin my workout warming up on the cables with very light weights performing side front and rear exercises 1- set 20 reps

The main workouts are performed at 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps on a pyramid system

Seated barbell press (behind the head) or dumbell press (try to alternate every month)

Side raises db to hit the side delts (lateral deltoid) - do this seated for isolation and improved technique

Side raises machine - side delts (lateral deltoid)

Rear deltoids exercise DB

Rear deltoid exercice on pec deck

Front raises DB for the anterior (front) deltoid.

I then finish up on shrugs