PDA

View Full Version : Is pump really necessary for muscle growth?

Encino_Mang
12-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I've always been a low rep guy (lazy) I know you look good all pumped up but it doesn't last long...............is it beneficial for muscle growth / size?

Orange24
12-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Some cases it can be.

Fit Guru
12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
If it wasnt important then there wouldn't be so many NO products on the market. Blood flow( pump) is essential for pushing nutrients into the muscles.

red crayon
12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I read an interview that they did with Arnold many years ago and he said that the pump you get from working out is like an orgasm during sex except it its the whole body and it lasts all day. So is it necessary? I guess not but I wouldnt miss it for the world!

Sherk
12-29-2012, 12:26 AM
I read an interview that they did with Arnold many years ago and he said that the pump you get from working out is like an orgasm during sex except it its the whole body and it lasts all day. So is it necessary? I guess not but I wouldnt miss it for the world!

He was referring to the feeling of the pump, not whether it was important for muscle growth or not. That interview is from pumping iron.

Manny1983
12-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Stop being lazy and get your pump on lol. I love leg pumps <3 they feel so horrible yet so awesome at the same

red crayon
12-29-2012, 03:05 AM
I understand What the topic is. I didnt remember where I read or heard the quote, It wasnt an exact quote Im sure. Im glad someone does know these things. Mr. Sherk I stand corrected. Im sure that you can build muscle with out a pump. All thats really required is muscle break down and muscle rebuild. I dont think I would want to do it that way. Lots of things in your body grow without a pump, Teeth, Hair, skin.

Getting my body parts pumped up and hard is kinda fun. Best I can remember the last time I went to the gym and I just couldnt get a pump, The muscles were kinda limp, I gave it up and went home. :)

MuscleAddiction
12-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Stop being lazy and get your pump on lol. I love leg pumps <3 they feel so horrible yet so awesome at the same

Agreed

Encino_Mang
12-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Ok..............rep range? I come form a PL background cycle 5, 3, 1 mostly with a burn / pump set at the end of each compound movement..........ISO shit typ 10 reps...........I typ do 2- 3 work sets then a set of 10 then pick 1 or 3 iso movements for 3 sets of 10 then GTFO of the gym

red crayon
12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
I come from a natural lifting background myself. (Please correct me if you dont agree with any of my statements!) I would start with compound lifts, Squats, dead lift, etc and then go to Isolation lifts to complete my work out. Sometimes at the end I would rep out with an isolation move as many reps as I could to failure at about 40% one rep max.

The body parts were divided up into five sessions. Back, Legs and chest had their own days and the others were put in where they fit. Cardio was on the off days with all abb work on cardio days. All the work outs were kept around one to one and a half hours long. I used a timer to make sure of this. Most sets were 10 to 12 reps long when I reached that number two work outs in a row I would drop back to 8 reps and raise the weight. Legs were an exception, I would often go as high as 20 reps on them.

Be sure to eat clean as possible. Dont miss a meal even if it has to be fast food! Being natural was my choice. A chemically enhanced lifter can easily get another 25% more than a natural person can, Your choice. There are other ways to do this but this worked for me. (I cant spell please forgive me. lol)

SisterSteel
01-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Is a pump necessary for muscle hypertrophy?.... no. Look at some Olympic weightlifters who perform just singles, doubles, and triples. Do they have slabs of muscle on their frame.... yes.

It all depends on what you're looking to accomplish.

Fit Guru
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Is a pump necessary for muscle hypertrophy?.... no. Look at some Olympic weightlifters who perform just singles, doubles, and triples. Do they have slabs of muscle on their frame.... yes.

It all depends on what you're looking to accomplish.

But if you compare a power lifters physique to a bodybuilder there's a big difference. Most PL bodies are not aesthetic. This comes( I feel) from not pumping or shaping the muscle but I will tell you this. A PL that switches to BB are usually some of the best BB. They have dense muscle. Muscle maturity and then they add the shaping and pumping exercises and they have great physiques. If course genetics plays a huge role. I'm not saying all PL make good BB.

Fuelfan
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
I could be 1000% incorrect but I've been told by some pretty big guys that getting a good pump helps stretch the facia of the muscle and which in turn helps build a larger, fuller muscle.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
But if you compare a power lifters physique to a bodybuilder there's a big difference. Most PL bodies are not aesthetic. This comes( I feel) from not pumping or shaping the muscle but I will tell you this. A PL that switches to BB are usually some of the best BB. They have dense muscle. Muscle maturity and then they add the shaping and pumping exercises and they have great physiques. If course genetics plays a huge role. I'm not saying all PL make good BB.

But I was talking about Olympic lifters and not Powerlifters.

xdude
01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
the questions is not whether you need a pump... the questions is do you want the pump...
let us face facts that is what all weightlifters look forward to.. that feeling of full muscle
a slight stiffness and the sense of skin tight , and almost ready to rip..

it is what I lift for. it is what I live for...

Fit Guru
01-07-2013, 12:01 AM
But I was talking about Olympic lifters and not Powerlifters.

Gotcha

SisterSteel
01-07-2013, 01:08 AM
gotcha

lol.....

GSRacer
01-13-2013, 07:01 AM
In my opinion, pushing your limits, muscle confusion, the resulting breakdown of muscle fibers, and sufficient calorie intake for the fiber repair to result in hypertrophy is what is needed for growth. A pump is just an indicator that increased blood flow is in that muscle. Is it a sign that you are doing something that could lead to hypertrophy? Yup. Is it necessary for hypertrophy to occur? Nah.

Fit Guru
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
If a pump is not necessary for growth then why do supplement companies spend billions of dollars testing and manufacturing supplements to five you a pump?IE: NO boosters,creatine,igf-1 etc?the ultimate goal in the gym is to get a good pump.

SisterSteel
01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
If a pump is not necessary for growth then why do supplement companies spend billions of dollars testing and manufacturing supplements to five you a pump?IE: NO boosters,creatine,igf-1 etc?the ultimate goal in the gym is to get a good pump.

I would argue that much of what the supplement companies sell is nothing more than marketing hype. They make claims that if you take this or that (whatever name you want to put in there) you'll wind up looking like Phil Heath.

Ironguruera
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I would argue that much of what the supplement companies sell is nothing more than marketing hype. They make claims that if you take this or that (whatever name you want to put in there) you'll wind up looking like Phil Heath.

Agreed sister. They want us to believe we need the products to have productive workouts.

Ive tried many NO style pre workouts over the years. I notice the biggest effect they have is keeping me up late and making me piss all day after I take them.
The best pre workout I've used yet is test base /tne lol.

I personally like high volume pump inducing workouts.

Encino_Mang
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Not exactly a bodybuilders physique or at the point of mr whatever......but Coan is pretty well developed on low reps (I'm guessing he does low reps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hedp8swmpw

Orange24
01-14-2013, 01:44 AM
The Supp industry is the biggest scam ever.

SisterSteel
01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Not exactly a bodybuilders physique or at the point of mr whatever......but Coan is pretty well developed on low reps (I'm guessing he does low reps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hedp8swmpw

Ed Coan is da MAN. Only 1 of 2 people to pull sumo 900+lbs raw and he did it in the 220lbs CLASS!!!! HOLY SHIT.

Fit Guru
01-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Then you could say the same about protein powders and fat burners and they are all nessesary.

xdude
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM

yeah most is crap .. but I have to admit ,I think I get a good pump with NO. products
I am sure it some what psychological.. but that warm feeling all over .. love it ..and think it is worth it ..

Fit Guru
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Well I train with 2 of the top pros in the world and yes they are sponsored and get free supps(so do I cause they give them to me)and they drink them before,during and after their workouts.when no one but us is looking.why on earth would they waste their time drinking them if they didnt have value?

SisterSteel
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Well I train with 2 of the top pros in the world and yes they are sponsored and get free supps(so do I cause they give them to me)and they drink them before,during and after their workouts.when no one but us is looking.why on earth would they waste their time drinking them if they didnt have value?

I think some supps are helpful but you have to admit a lot is just marketing ploys to help line the supp companies pockets. That's just how big business works.

red crayon
01-15-2013, 11:35 PM
They always claim that you will get better results with our product, maybe even better than steroids. Thats what the adds usually say anyway. I have used many different brands and In my experience you might get better recovery or even a decent pump. If the product is really great it wont be on the market long because the FDA will find some way to get it pulled off the market. Its sad but true, They will tell you anything to get you to spend a buck or two on their product, Thats how most of the supplement companies are. Not all but most.

Fit Guru
01-15-2013, 11:42 PM
I think some supps are helpful but you have to admit a lot is just marketing ploys to help line the supp companies pockets. That's just how big business works.

I do think the market is flooded unnecessarily with BS products. I have a buddy whose kitchen table is covered with bottles. It's insane. I take 4 products. And 26 steroids. All at one time! Lol

kazman68
01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Ed Coan is da MAN. Only 1 of 2 people to pull sumo 900+lbs raw and he did it in the 220lbs CLASS!!!! HOLY SHIT.

Yes he is! He inspired me to get into powerlifting, I was watched him climb the weight classes, dominating each one as he went up, a true powerlifting legend. One of the strongest guys pound for pound ever.

SisterSteel
01-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Yes he is! He inspired me to get into powerlifting, I was watched him climb the weight classes, dominating each one as he went up, a true powerlifting legend. One of the strongest guys pound for pound ever.

The only guy I know of who won IPF Worlds in 4 different weight classes.

Encino_Mang
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM

I saw him and kirk kowalski at the USPF Senior National Powerlifting Championship in Philly.....2 tanks......shane hamman didn't lift but he had the largest legs I ever saw......dude looked 5 foot nothing probably a 275 or more...

TheRage93
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
No, pump is not needed for muscular growth. The only hypertrophy you'd get out of a constant pump is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Which is just fluid.

TheRage93
02-20-2013, 09:34 AM
I saw him and kirk kowalski at the USPF Senior National Powerlifting Championship in Philly.....2 tanks......shane hamman didn't lift but he had the largest legs I ever saw......dude looked 5 foot nothing probably a 275 or more...

are you talking about Shane Hammock?

Fit Guru
02-21-2013, 10:57 PM
I guess we could have all the power lifters who don't get pumps and then bodybuilders post their pics and see who's bigger.lol

SisterSteel
02-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Shane was 350lbs @ 5'9 when he competed. He was a PLer first but switched to Oly lifting. His biggest squat was 457.5kg (equipped, not sure if it was single or multi). He also competed in the 2000 Summer Olympics. I believe he finished something like 10th.

SisterSteel
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I guess we could have all the power lifters who don't get pumps and then bodybuilders post their pics and see who's bigger.lol

How would you categorize those who started out as one and than when to compete in the other like Johnny and Stan?

Encino_Mang
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Shane was 350lbs @ 5'9 when he competed. He was a PLer first but switched to Oly lifting. His biggest squat was 457.5kg (equipped, not sure if it was single or multi). He also competed in the 2000 Summer Olympics. I believe he finished something like 10th.

He was a lil tank...didn't look 5'9" he was as wide as tall.......Kowalski use to train at Mark Chaillet gym by Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland, I saw him squat 700 in a singlet no wraps ATG as a teenager then over a 1000 in training at Chaillet a few years later....there was a bunch of beast there...mostly PL'er but a few strong huge BBers too