PDA

View Full Version : Career change

Vicious 13
12-30-2012, 02:57 PM
I've been out of work for over a month and I'm really starting to get depressed...what r some good well paying jobs. I like what I do but the time off kills me... I used to enjoy a month or two break but lately bad habits have been coming back and I find myself getting into trouble... Any advice guys?

Orange24
12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
You like customer service or more labor intensive work?

exphys88
12-30-2012, 03:06 PM
You ever think about going back to school? I've got a masters degree but am going back to become an RN (no homo). My wife is an RN, makes bout 80000, works 3 days a week and has 5 weeks of paid vacation a year. I know RNs that make 120000 too.
Or any other medical profession is good- X-ray tech, respiratory therapist, cardiovascular technician. All good pay, benefits and job security and not a terrible amount of schooling.

Orange24
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
^^100% correct. Excellent advice. Also depends on where you live and job availability... but great advice.

Vicious 13
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
My wife and I were talking about that yesterday ex. I said RN but she made some good points about having a weak stomach,and things I might not like doing. But she mentioned X-ray tech. That would be a pretty cool job I think. I might see some gnarly breaks but I'm sure I'd live. Do you know if they get paid pretty well? Or what would it take to get into that, and how long do U think?

Vicious 13
12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
O and I live in so cal about 45 miles from downtown la. I'm a carpenter now so most of my work is in la, Santa Monica, and out that way pretty much. So I'm used to driving.

babablacksheep
12-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Well school is an option......I just changed careers and took a job at a steel mill.....65k to start and it is a booming industry.....if you've got one around look into it......I pretty much drive around a forklift and do some other manual stiff to but it sure isn't that bad

exphys88
12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
My wife and I were talking about that yesterday ex. I said RN but she made some good points about having a weak stomach,and things I might not like doing. But she mentioned X-ray tech. That would be a pretty cool job I think. I might see some gnarly breaks but I'm sure I'd live. Do you know if they get paid pretty well? Or what would it take to get into that, and how long do U think?

X-ray techs do well, RNs just have unlimited options. There are many RN jobs that d t require you to do gross things too.
If you're in SoCal you have tons of options.

xdude
12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
my brother in law became an RN after 10 years working in insurance... I have a lot of respect to do that at his age.. but just to let you know it is tough getting into a good school.. and expensive..
my niece went to school and the estimate is 20K a year

exphys88
12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
my brother in law became an RN after 10 years working in insurance... I have a lot of respect to do that at his age.. but just to let you know it is tough getting into a good school.. and expensive..
my niece went to school and the estimate is 20K a year

that's a ridiculous price. I'm going to a community college for about 6,000/year. Most schools just have waitlists and don't let you in based on merit. I've got a 2 year wait for my school.
My wife went to a university and got an RN license and a nursing degree and doesn't make anymore than someone who just went to a community college and just got the RN license.

Vicious 13
12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I will probably go the community college route and ill probably have to start working again and do it nights and weekends... I wish I could go to school full time and knock it out but I have too many bills... I'm really liking the x ray idea or maybe I need to look into different RN positions. Times like this I wish I would have finished my aa I only had a semester left I'm sure that would have been a big help

exphys88
12-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I will probably go the community college route and ill probably have to start working again and do it nights and weekends... I wish I could go to school full time and knock it out but I have too many bills... I'm really liking the x ray idea or maybe I need to look into different RN positions. Times like this I wish I would have finished my aa I only had a semester left I'm sure that would have been a big help

Having those classes done will help. You're going too have to take some pre reqs though-anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and some require chemistry. All medical fields will require these, so you can start there while you're making up your mind.

Vicious 13
12-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I better start looking. I'm sure it's going to b hard to get into certain classes my little brother is missing this semester because he couldn't get the classes he needed...I'm excited about this now I'm just hoping I can do it and get it done soon.

ordawg1
12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Juco /community college is PERFECT.I started there and went to university later on.There is ALWAYS something to do though.I also like work out of country as you can work 6 months and leave your $$ offshore with no tax. Plus-lots of lil hotties -OD

mj_0360
12-30-2012, 11:50 PM
I need a different job.

Sherk
12-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Go into corrections. I know a few old friends that went that route. They work 4 days on and 4 days off. The pay isn't bad either. They say its a glorified babysitter and nothing like what you see on tv. Some guys get bad but most stay in line. From there you can transfer to the streets or courthouse.

Vicious 13
12-31-2012, 12:15 AM
I need some work out of the country that would b fun... They were sending guys to Dubai in 08 and 09 but I hadn't journeyed out yet. I'm going to start looking into the X-ray tech thing though.I think it's something I might b able to pull off and something I might enjoy.

Vicious 13
12-31-2012, 12:17 AM
I was thinking about something like that too because my is a pso. I don't know if I could though got in trouble a lot when I was younger.

mj_0360
12-31-2012, 04:51 AM
How is easy is it to get a job in personal training or in the exercise industry?

xdude
12-31-2012, 08:12 AM
I need some work out of the country that would b fun... They were sending guys to Dubai in 08 and 09 but I hadn't journeyed out yet. I'm going to start looking into the X-ray tech thing though.I think it's something I might b able to pull off and something I might enjoy.

just to let you know there is some un written sexism in nursing especially ER.guy make more because the can lift more... occasionally there is no way around lifting the patient .. and occasionally need restrained .

CWB
12-31-2012, 03:53 PM
I just want to tell you Im proud of you Vicious. It takes balls when youve spent many years working a specific job to not just change jobs but to also go back to school to make it possible. You deserve the best in this life, and Im glad youve made the decision to put in the necessary work to make that possible for you, and your family. Keep kickin ass brother! Happy New Year!

exphys88
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM
How is easy is it to get a job in personal training or in the exercise industry?

I would highly recommend not pursuing that route. very few guys make a good living at it. You need to have the right kind of personality and marketing skills.

Orange24
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
^^ truly and encourager to all. Lots of love going around! Happy new year to you vicious. Your a great dude

BigBones
12-31-2012, 08:58 PM
I would highly recommend not pursuing that route. very few guys make a good living at it. You need to have the right kind of personality and marketing skills.

+1

If you have the people skills, there is a lot of great option$! Are you a techie by chance? Huge growth in the tech industry. It's ever lasting like a gob stopper.

red crayon
12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Look into the job field that you think you want to go into to see what the chances are of staying employed after you get the training. I looked into the news paper and such. I used to work as a heavy Equipment mechanic, I didnt like it so I switched to being an electrician. I went to school full time and worked full time until I was finished. Lots of people do that. There is no glory or glamour but the money is good. I average 75 plus every year. Benifits on top of that.

Vicious 13
01-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Anyone do real estate?

red crayon
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I just had another Idea. Have you thought about looking into a job with one of the Professional Unions? Most of those Unions pay you while you learn. Even if its not a job thats on the top of your list of things to do they all pay good. You might be like me when I was a mechanic, It wasnt my dream job but it let me have the money to do the things that I liked to do. Its just an Idea.

Vicious 13
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm in a union right now but like I sad it's not really my dream job and when work slows down u basically go on unemployment which isn't enough to pay my bills. I'm starting to stress a little a think I can squeak by all my bills this week which will basically give me a month to figure something out

Vicious 13
01-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I got an offer to go and interview for an entry level mortgage loan processor. Anyone have any info they can give me? I told my buddy I didn't even know what that is but he said they are looking for someone who knows nothing but wants to learn and work hard.

babablacksheep
01-05-2013, 01:50 PM
There is a ton of stuff you can do in that field.....also depending on the bank or company many of them pay for your schooling.....my wife is in underwriting with a large bank and she makes very good money.....go to the interview and check it out

Vicious 13
01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
That's what I'm thinking I might as well interview and see what's good. All else fails I can get back to hanging drywall

Orange24
01-06-2013, 01:51 AM
^^its a great job.

mj_0360
01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Well, I have made up my mind to quit my job as a restaurant manager and go back to school full time for a networking degree and work part time serving tables. I will be taking my vacation time next month before I give my 2 weeks notice. Im going to the local community college to talk to a financial aid officer on thursday to get the ball rolling. Im not too sure where I want to work yet but I dont think that I will have a problem getting a job with all of my experience. Wish me luck!!

Orange24
01-14-2013, 01:05 AM
^^ good for u man

chrisotpherm
01-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Awesome man. Looks like a great opportunity.

Fit Guru
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Good to hear bro!

mj_0360
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks fellas!! Ill know more here soon, I plan on being enrolled by the summer semester.

zedhed
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
How did that interview go V13?
Sound interesting?

Vicious 13
01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for asking zed. It went well it looks like something that I could definitely do but I'm not sure i can make enough money to do it forever. It's looking like im just going to have to keep hanging drywall and go back to school. I would really like to do the X-ray tech thing I just hope I have the drive to finish school, I didn't do so well the first time around but m head was in a different place.

zedhed
01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Werent you asking about the Army Reserve too?
There is a lot in the med field bro. I always kinda wondered about EMT.
After the Army I did the NG thing. Liked it but that was a lifetime ago too.

Vicious 13
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
I was thinking about the reserves but chances of me being deployed are high because of my age. W my wife being pregnant It might not b the best move. So I'm thinking drywall and school and possibly getting into real estate for s little extra money,

zedhed
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Bro real estate is not the way to go. That bubble is gone. I doubt we will see anything much at all in that area in our lifetimes.
You may see something locally but that will peter out real soon and then nothing. Just IMO.

Vicious 13
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Yea u r right it would b more of a hobby. What I would have like to do was flipping buy low fix house and flip but u are right that business is pretty dead now a days guys are getting stuck w houses so instead of a quick flip they gotta pay the mortgage till it sells. But I figure if I can sell a few houses in my spare time extra money is good. A lot of my friends are starting to look for houses so it would b nice to b able to help them out. I'm logout another house right now and it pisses me off how lazy my realtor is

chrisotpherm
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I was thinking about the reserves but chances of me being deployed are high because of my age. W my wife being pregnant It might not b the best move. So I'm thinking drywall and school and possibly getting into real estate for s little extra money,

I understand your concerns with the military any route you go. Here is what will happen. You will sign the dotted line, swear in and either that day or next day be shipped off to basic training. You will then in process essentially the army for about 3-4 days. After that you will go down range as we call it and complete 10wks of basic training. Now depending upon your state or reserve unit you may going on to AIT (advanced initial training), your job of choice. If you go right away and if you have something in mind need to pm me so I can look at how long the actually AIT is, you will go onto AIT. Once at AIT it will be basically like going to high school all over again except you do physically training everyday except on Sundays. Once complete with AIT you will return to you reserve unit (I hope everyone sees that I recommend the reserves and not the guard), and then begin drilling as they call it. One weekend a month and two weeks a year. Here is what you need to do, get in contact with the local reserve in your area or the closest one near by and see what types of jobs they perform for the Army, let me know what they are and I can tell you whether or not it is good job or bad job as far as fast or slow promotion.

Now onto the baby being born. If your wife is pregnant the reality of them sending you as they are the reserve is very low. However if they do send you on a deployment. You can do two things. You can plan you scheduled R&R (rest and relation) time which is two weeks to come home around the scheduled time of the babies birth. If you do this, I highly recommend a c-section so to ensure it really does happen. If you don't do that, then what will happen is when your wife begins to dilate and go into labor they will send out a Red Cross message and have to get you out of country within 24hrs.

So there you go brother.

Vicious 13
01-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Thank u Chris that cleared some things up for me! At this point it's still an option my wife and I are just trying to figure out what our best options are. My buddy and I went to the recruiters last week they didn't give us much info because my buddy is fat.

chrisotpherm
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Thank u Chris that cleared some things up for me! At this point it's still an option my wife and I are just trying to figure out what our best options are. My buddy and I went to the recruiters last week they didn't give us much info because my buddy is fat.

No prob man. Please, please, please whatever you do let me work the recruiter for you!!! I have quite a bit of weight because of my rank. Send me a pm brother.

mj_0360
01-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Dude, the army has an xray tech mos, do that. I wanted to but I have dui's.

Vicious 13
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I have a wet wreck less i originally wanted to join the seals straight out of high school but that fucked me. Next best option was to hang drywall.

Vicious 13
01-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Just got the call from my super I'm going back to work tomorrow. Time to build up my savings again and start trying to enroll in college or decide if the reserves will b a better route.

xdude
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Just got the call from my super I'm going back to work tomorrow. Time to build up my savings again and start trying to enroll in college or decide if the reserves will b a better route.

sounds great /// wish you luck

mj_0360
01-26-2013, 07:06 PM
I called out sick to work the past 2 days and went out looking for a new job. I have it narrowed down to 2 nice restaurants, both of which are hiring. I have to fill out applications online and then call the store, I will have this done by monday. When I get the job settled I will go the school I will be attended and enroll in the next round of classes. Things are looking good so far but I have to admit I am nervous.

NTL
01-26-2013, 07:59 PM
It will be worth it when your done Mj.

mj_0360
01-26-2013, 09:12 PM
I dont know if I told anyone here this but last weekend I had a gun pulled on me at work. I am the graveyard manager of a busy 24hr restaurant, on the weekends we have 3 sheriffs deputies as security in full uniform. Around 545am about 2 hrs after the security left there was the drunk dumbass in the store that was acting like a fool jumping on the booths and bothering the other guests so we asked him to leave numerous times, he was insulted and started to threaten that he had a gun. He left with his friends and then came back 5 mins later with a pistol waiving it at me and the employees. We called the police wehn the arrived I showed them the cameras we have and the guy even payed with his own credit card, the server remembered his name and found his facebook lol. the guy has a felony warrant out for him for brandishing a firearm in an occupiied dwelling.