PDA

View Full Version : Front Squats....

SisterSteel
12-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Ok, I've seen a lot of talk lately about front squats and I've had some questions about them so I thought I'd make a thread to explain what I call Oly Front Squats.

Most perform the front squat with their arms crossed. Now, you can perform front squats this way but it's not a mechanically sound way to do it. Truthfully, I believe your doomed to fail from the outset if you perform front squats this way. Let's see why..... What happens when the weight gets heavy? Your elbows begin to drop, which pulls you forward, lower back loses it's arch, chest drops, upper back rounds, and all this causes you to dump the bar out in front of you.

I'm sure you're asking yourself now, well how the hell should I perform a front squat if not with crossed arms? Easily.... you'll use what I call the Oly style (clean grip). The Olympic style is where you grip the bar with both hands (but not crossed). You'll keep your elbows high, chest up, arch in your lower back, and keep your feet shoulder width or closer. You'll rack the bar on your clavicles. There is a fine line with the rack position. Rack to far back and you literally choke yourself (I've seen people pass out because the bar actually caused a blunt choke) and possibly pass out with the weight on you. Rack it to far out in front and it will begin to pull your elbows down possibly causing you to dump the weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkK9-mnDAy4

Now, I know you have another question for me... You're thinking, my wrists aren't that flexible. That's ok b/c I have a variation that I was also shown back in my Olympic weightlifting days. With this variation you'll use wrist straps. You'll wrap the straps to the bar and take hold of the straps. This allows you to keep the bar on your clavicles while having non flexible wrists. You'll still keep your chest high, back arched, and elbows up. Here's a vid of the variation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZNX9tCuEg

Hopefully, this sheds some light on how to perform front squats.

ThePitCrew
12-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Good post Sis.. thats how i do them but i recommend using some wrist straps. Not on your wrists but loop then through the bar like you would your wrists. Then use the long part of the strap to hold on to. This helps stabalize the bar and as you pull up on the strap keeps you straight.

Ironguruera
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Great post sis and covered all the questions !

SisterSteel
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Glad everyone liked it. One thing to also note, I'm not saying to ditch back squats. Quite the contrary, I perform both and both are staples in my leg training. I think both are equally important. You just need to know how to perform them properly to get the most out of them.

Performing front squats like I've talked about will not only create a outer sweep for your quads, strengthen your abs, and lower back it will also have a good amount of carry over to your conventional deadlifts. If your front squats go up, so will your conventional deadlift.

red crayon
12-31-2012, 10:00 PM
I have to admit that I do them with crossed arms my palms faceing down. Im pretty sure that based on the videos and explaination that you shared that I need to make a change so Im working on it. Its hard but Ive never learned how to give up, I will get it. I cant dump the weight after the lift, none of the power racks that we have are built so that I can, Im getting to where I can do the lift properly anyway. I have to work with the equipment I have available. Thanks for the help!

kazman68
12-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Good post Sister!

SisterSteel
01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Good post Sister!

Thanks. I think this will help a lot of our members.

red crayon
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Your posts about the front squat has convinced me that I need to learn the proper way to do them and regularly do them! Thanks a lot! Do you have any other helpful info that you can share?

zedhed
01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Yep I do em with the straps too. Much easier on my wrists.

SisterSteel
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Your posts about the front squat has convinced me that I need to learn the proper way to do them and regularly do them! Thanks a lot! Do you have any other helpful info that you can share?

You welcome.

I think I'll make a thread where people can ask questions about lifting and than we can all answer.

Sherk
01-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Great post. Today was leg day and I added those in using the straps. I can barely fucking walk, literally. I might not be able to go to work tomorrow. AL's tren e had me in beast mode. That was the first time I did front squats in a couple years. Good shit.

Fit Guru
01-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Of course..that's the only way to do front squats.mechanically it puts the same stress on the same muscles and your hands(wrist) are supported by your shoulders.

Fit Guru
01-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Very good post I may add.thanks!

mj_0360
01-03-2013, 05:28 AM
I have never done front squats before but I really want to throw few into the mix today. I think I might try them with a lower weight on a smith machine when I first do them.

SisterSteel
01-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I have never done front squats before but I really want to throw few into the mix today. I think I might try them with a lower weight on a smith machine when I first do them.

Don't use the smith machine. A smith machine will allow you to use sloppy form and still perform the movement so you won't get nearly the benefit from it. Use a straight bar instead.

SisterSteel
01-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Great post. Today was leg day and I added those in using the straps. I can barely fucking walk, literally. I might not be able to go to work tomorrow. AL's tren e had me in beast mode. That was the first time I did front squats in a couple years. Good shit.

It's one of those overlooked movements that got cast aside because most don't want to work that hard so they use a leg extension instead. Something you can do that will make it a bit easier on you is to stretch when your done.

NTL
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
I use the front squats on leg day. I going to pickup some straps to give that way a try. I usually do them arms crossed.

Orange24
01-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Am I a huge wuss or what!? Did some fronts today and they were killing my delts. Tried the strap way for the first time...I don't know how I feel about this. I need bigger shoulders I guess

SisterSteel
01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Am I a huge wuss or what!? Did some fronts today and they were killing my delts. Tried the strap way for the first time...I don't know how I feel about this. I need bigger shoulders I guess

You probably didn't have the bar in the correct place. You may have had it to far out in front which would be uncomfortable. Did you feel like the bar was going to choke you?

Orange24
01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Haha yes a little

SisterSteel
01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Haha yes a little

Than you probably did have it sitting back like you should. It'll just take some time to get used to the movement. This isn't an easy lift like a leg press.

Orange24
01-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Ya I want to get better. Seems like I can get a deeper squat this way but definitely rough getting used to it

mj_0360
01-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Well, I did front squats for the first time the other day. I did use the smith machine just because the movement was so awkward for me, I plan on just using the bar next time. I liked doing them I was just pretty weak, I wont say what pouindage I used lol

Sherk
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, I did front squats for the first time the other day. I did use the smith machine just because the movement was so awkward for me, I plan on just using the bar next time. I liked doing them I was just pretty weak, I wont say what pouindage I used lol

Proper form and movement is 1000x more important than the weight. Don't worry about how much you can or can't do at this point. Focus on the movement and where your hips are. No one cares how much you can or can't lift. The guys that do care how much someone else lifts are usually the ones that don't know what they're doing and look like ass clowns arching their back like a rainbow doing a press or doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Ditch the smith machine. 185lbs on a straight bar is more beneficial for you than 315lbs on a smith machine. The smith machine is the worst machine every invented. Makes the lift virtually worthless.

... And don't worry about the poundage. It doesn't matter if you start with just the bar. ANYONE and I repeat ANYONE can front squat 315lbs this way. I don't care if you're a woman or a man. I

So suck it up, work hard, and reap the benefits.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Ya I want to get better. Seems like I can get a deeper squat this way but definitely rough getting used to it

It takes time but be patient. All good things come in time....

Fuelfan
01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
When I do front squats I have a hard time keeping my shins vertical when going real deep. It does help when I take off my shoes but I still feel my form is not what it should be. Any suggestions?

zedhed
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Ditch the smith machine. 185lbs on a straight bar is more beneficial for you than 315lbs on a smith machine. The smith machine is the worst machine every invented. Makes the lift virtually worthless.

... And don't worry about the poundage. It doesn't matter if you start with just the bar. ANYONE and I repeat ANYONE can front squat 315lbs this way. I don't care if you're a woman or a man. I

So suck it up, work hard, and reap the benefits.

Suga I would argue this with you. IMO it is the Leg Extension machine that is the very worst of the worst machines. This has fucked more knees then any other workout machine known. The research is there time after time that this WILL fuck your knees all to hell. Its multiplied stress beneath the patella (a very small surface) that bears weight that is extended (therefore multiplied) out in front of the fulcrum. BAD NEWS!!!

The Front Squat will do 1000 times more (developmentally) for your quads then any amount of leg extensions will ever do. And the Front Squats will not ruin your knees.

zedhed
01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
When I do front squats I have a hard time keeping my shins vertical when going real deep. It does help when I take off my shoes but I still feel my form is not what it should be. Any suggestions?

Practice with light weight or just the bar. Also check out Dr. Squat on form. Just google it.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Suga I would argue this with you. IMO it is the Leg Extension machine that is the very worst of the worst machines. This has fucked more knees then any other workout machine known. The research is there time after time that this WILL fuck your knees all to hell. Its multiplied stress beneath the patella (a very small surface) that bears weight that is extended (therefore multiplied) out in front of the fulcrum. BAD NEWS!!!

The Front Squat will do 1000 times more (developmentally) for your quads then any amount of leg extensions will ever do. And the Front Squats will not ruin your knees.

You got me. ;)

Leg extensions are TERRIBLE. I don't EVER use that machine. It did nothing but cause me a great deal of pain. If you look at my quads, you'd agree that they're pretty developed and ALL I do for mine is Olympic style front squats.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Well for starters, it's easier to perform the movement with a heel on your sole which is why all Olympic weightlifting shoes have a heel on them. It makes it easier to get into positions.

Your shins will come forward with front squats. They will not stay vertical like when you back squat.

My suggestion is to put a 1x4 under your heel when you front squat and that should help you a bit.

Fuelfan
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I'll give that a shot! Thank you Sister!

Ironguruera
01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm going to check the front squat out this week for sure. I never liked that weird arms crossed setup so I never do them.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll give that a shot! Thank you Sister!

Anytime. I think you'll find it easier to get into position. Now, your shins are still going to shoot forward but it should be a bit better. Also perform these with a narrow stance (shoulder width being the widest to really hit your outer quads).

I'm going to check the front squat out this week for sure. I never liked that weird arms crossed setup so I never do them.

Check them out. I think you'll like'm.

Ironguruera
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Question sister.....I lack the flexibility to do them without the straps. Looks like the straps will just tear out of your hands?

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Question sister.....I lack the flexibility to do them without the straps. Looks like the straps will just tear out of your hands?

If you use regular bodybuilding straps you should be able to wrap them around your hand. If you were using my Oly straps than yes, they would fall out but bodybuilding straps are pretty long and shouldn't give you that problem.

zedhed
01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Nuther question for you suga, I am not as vertical as I need to be on my Front Squats at the bottom. How do I correct?

SisterSteel
01-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Nuther question for you suga, I am not as vertical as I need to be on my Front Squats at the bottom. How do I correct?

You're using the clean grip or strap, right? Are you making sure you're REALLY arching your lower back while keeping your chest high? Answer that and we'll move on to the next set of questions.

zedhed
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Yep using strap grip.
Keeping my lower back tight as hell and arched. Keeping my shoulders back and tight. Chest full and up as much as I can.
Bar at throat actually resting behind delts. Feet roughly waist width apart and toes out slightly. Wearing a flat shoe, no heel.
I see lots of vids where the person doing the front squat is nearly vertical. Im not and I have the prob of the bar sliding forward so that I have to stop and re set it.
So my back is at an arch but my head is in front of and not in line with my hips.:cool:

zedhed
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
This is how I look. Is this a relatively good front squat?
Seems to me he is sitting back too much and should be dropping down between his feet...and because he is sitting back he leans forward....IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PDF-ttVvrP8#t=290s

zedhed
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Thibs showing the way to hold the bar with straps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CVTkbggmxR0#t=21s

SisterSteel
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
This is how I look. Is this a relatively good front squat?
Seems to me he is sitting back too much and should be dropping down between his feet...and because he is sitting back he leans forward....IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PDF-ttVvrP8#t=290s

Exactly. The front squat is a quad dominant movement which is why you sit down and not sit back. You utilize your quads and not your hams. I would tell him to sit down more and back less. I would also say get those elbows up. There starting in the down position to begin with. That could partly be because of his shoulder inflexibility but that can be worked on. Also try putting a 1x4 under your heel to help get into position. The heel actually makes things easier. You may need to work on hip flexibility.

The guys form isn't bad but it can be better and if he works on it, it will get better.

twist84
01-09-2013, 08:25 AM

I don't use straps but I know when I first started doing front squats olympic style it felt weird and hurt my wrists. Once you do them a few times you will get comfortable with the way you are holding the bar. I usually only have 2 or 3 fingers from each hand on the bar. Love front squats though. I usually do them right after cleans.

A good way to practice form is to wall squat drills. If you have never done these, they're pretty easy. Just find a wall, line your toes up with the wall, and about 1 inch back from it. Then try performing a squat, my suggestion is to find a pillar or something similar incase you fall.

zedhed
01-10-2013, 05:35 PM
LMAO "in case you fall" YUP!

twist84
01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
LOL, I've fallen a few times when I was learning.

It helps a lot with your knees also because it forces you to torque your knees outwards. It's always painfully watching someone do squats when there knees torque inwards, OUCH!

PudgieRaubach
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I've done fronts about every 3 workout for some time and i've always used the arms crossed method. I've seen several videos where phil heath does them with the straps but i havent been able to get comfortable with it yet. will try again tonight and try one plate to start...
i have never had a problem leaning, but i will say when i go heavy my front delts hurt for days from the weight laying across them for those reps....

SisterSteel
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
I've done fronts about every 3 workout for some time and i've always used the arms crossed method. I've seen several videos where phil heath does them with the straps but i havent been able to get comfortable with it yet. will try again tonight and try one plate to start...
i have never had a problem leaning, but i will say when i go heavy my front delts hurt for days from the weight laying across them for those reps....

If you go heavy enough you'll have a problem. It's just not mechanically sound. As for using the straps, just watch the vid I posted and give it a try. It's not hard to do and you can even work on your wrist flexibility and just use a clean grip.

SisterSteel
01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
LOL, I've fallen a few times when I was learning.

It helps a lot with your knees also because it forces you to torque your knees outwards. It's always painfully watching someone do squats when there knees torque inwards, OUCH!

If their knees are coming in that can lead to a terrible injury. They need to drop the weight and perform the movement correctly.

Bruiser
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm looking at a front squat harness right now. Think that could be a huge help with my form on these.

PudgieRaubach
01-16-2013, 06:03 PM
If you go heavy enough you'll have a problem. It's just not mechanically sound. As for using the straps, just watch the vid I posted and give it a try. It's not hard to do and you can even work on your wrist flexibility and just use a clean grip.

wish i would have found that video before...i'm trying that tonight.

mj_0360
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Just a quick update- I've been doing front squats for 3 or 4 weeks now and I pushed out 145for 6 today. The first time it did them I could barely do 50 on the smith machine lol. Anyways, I've grown quite find of this movement and I look forward to doing them every week. I've been doing them with a cross grip btw.

SisterSteel
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Just a quick update- I've been doing front squats for 3 or 4 weeks now and I pushed out 145for 6 today. The first time it did them I could barely do 50 on the smith machine lol. Anyways, I've grown quite find of this movement and I look forward to doing them every week. I've been doing them with a cross grip btw.

When you switch from the cross armed style you're number will go up even moreso. And it's good to hear you ditched the smith machine.

red crayon
01-20-2013, 11:00 PM
I am trying to use the grip demonstrated in the Video, Sister Steel but my arms wont bend like that. The bar hits me in the chin. Any suggestions?

Ironguruera
01-20-2013, 11:36 PM
I am trying to use the grip demonstrated in the Video, Sister Steel but my arms wont bend like that. The bar hits me in the chin. Any suggestions?

Use the straps like in the other video in this thread by zed. It's at the top of this page.

My arms don't bend that much either.

SisterSteel
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Use the straps like in the other video in this thread by zed. It's at the top of this page.

My arms don't bend that much either.

That just means your wrists aren't flexible. You can work on it but it's easier to just use straps. I posted a vid in the beginning of the thread with Rob front squatting 501lbs while using straps. Give it a try.

PudgieRaubach
01-21-2013, 01:46 PM

I've always done them (both regularly as well as ) with my arms crossed and pulling out on the bar rather than with the straps and pulling up and in only two workouts I've already gone up in poundage. Wish i would've switched years ago.

Ironguruera
01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
That just means your wrists aren't flexible. You can work on it but it's easier to just use straps. I posted a vid in the beginning of the thread with Rob front squatting 501lbs while using straps. Give it a try.

Yeah for sure. Feels like my wrists are going to snap off lol. I couldn't find my straps in my car...then I remembered I took a bunch of gym stuff out of my car.
I might need new straps as I custom cut mine. They were ridiculously long.

red crayon
01-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Here is another video about the front squat. What do you think about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRmdtSvmQQ

kazman68
01-22-2013, 12:07 AM
If their knees are coming in that can lead to a terrible injury. They need to drop the weight and perform the movement correctly.

That's a sign of weak quads, if I remember right.

SisterSteel
01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
That's a sign of weak quads, if I remember right.

It can be adductors or abductors or even something else. It does mean there is an imbalance.

red crayon
01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
I watched the video I posted a link to and by following some of the things I got out of that video I have been able to get the bar down some. I spread my grip out wider and I am grabbing one hand grip at a time. The bar still isnt down to the top of my front delts but I will stay after it until I get it. In the Video he said that it might take a few weeks to get it right so Im staying after it. I tried the straps but they slipped all over the place so that was no good. Again Thanks for all the help everyone!

SisterSteel
01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I watched the video I posted a link to and by following some of the things I got out of that video I have been able to get the bar down some. I spread my grip out wider and I am grabbing one hand grip at a time. The bar still isnt down to the top of my front delts but I will stay after it until I get it. In the Video he said that it might take a few weeks to get it right so Im staying after it. I tried the straps but they slipped all over the place so that was no good. Again Thanks for all the help everyone!

When you say you down to the top, where are you talking about exactly. The bar should sit on the top of the delt and not the bottom of it. If you put your hands out straight in front of you, the bar should not fall down and it shouldn't cause your arms to drop. Bar position is everything with this movement. Too low and it'll cause you to drop it and too high and it can choke you.

red crayon
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
On top of my front delts almost against my throat. Thats the location I am aiming for. Is that the right spot?

SisterSteel
01-23-2013, 06:55 PM
On top of my front delts almost against my throat. Thats the location I am aiming for. Is that the right spot?

Yes, that's the right spot. Just be patient and you'll get it in time.

zedhed
01-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I like the bar actually behind my delts against my throat. But I still lean forward a tad and it slips just a bit. I have no clue how to keep more vertical like the guy in that vid.
I notice that even when I sit in a chair I lean forward on the way down to sitting in that chair. Is that just bod mechanics for my bod?
LOL if I dont lean forward I just know that Im gonna tip over backwards.

SisterSteel
01-24-2013, 04:44 PM
I like the bar actually behind my delts against my throat. But I still lean forward a tad and it slips just a bit. I have no clue how to keep more vertical like the guy in that vid.
I notice that even when I sit in a chair I lean forward on the way down to sitting in that chair. Is that just bod mechanics for my bod?

You have to work on your arch (arching your lower back). Once you're able to arch your lower back you won't have that feeling anymore.

SisterSteel
01-24-2013, 04:44 PM

You have to work on your arch (arching your lower back). Once you're able to arch your lower back you won't have that feeling anymore.

red crayon
01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe trying what I do will help. I look up higher than I normally do, Push up on my heals, and lift in a power rack with the safties adjusted up higher until I get my balance working better. *Red*

Ironguruera
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Sorry sis I tried this yesterday. I found my straps and went after it. Even with my back belt my back killed me and I hadn't even loaded up yet. I admit I have a problematic back.
Not for me.

I enjoyed working legs again though. Had an mcl issue so I've been easing back Into legs.

SisterSteel
01-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Sorry sis I tried this yesterday. I found my straps and went after it. Even with my back belt my back killed me and I hadn't even loaded up yet. I admit I have a problematic back.
Not for me.

I enjoyed working legs again though. Had an mcl issue so I've been easing back Into legs.

Something you could do to help ease back into legs. It'll make the lift more dynamic is reverse band back squats. If you have a power cage you can perform this exercise. I'll make a post about it next. It make the lift lighter at the bottom (when you are completely squatted down) and makes it heavier at the top (where you are standing up). You might wonder what's great about this movement..... well, you have to generate more power to complete the lift. If it's 225lbs at the bottom and 315lbs at the top you'll need to generate 315lbs of power to complete the lift. This is a dynamic movement and not a static one where the weight remains the same.

Louie called this Future's Method b/c it allows you to lift the weight you'd use in the future right now.

red crayon
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
I did my legs again tonight and I have got the bar on my delts. It makes my wrists hurt but after time I think that will go away. Ive descovered there are a couple of bones up there in the way, Oh well Im gonna get it its just a matter of time.

SisterSteel
01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
I did my legs again tonight and I have got the bar on my delts. It makes my wrists hurt but after time I think that will go away. Ive descovered there are a couple of bones up there in the way, Oh well Im gonna get it its just a matter of time.

You may want to widen your grip to make it a bit easier on your wrists. Also stretch your wrists when you done afterwards. It will make getting them under the bar easier.

Mattingly
01-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Been battling disc problems in my lower back for years. Going to try front squats next leg night to see how it feels on my back. Looks like a more upright position that may work.

red crayon
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I look up at about 35 degrees. I also try and keep my butt and chest pushed out that keeps the arch in my back. Oh and push off of your heels. lol, try and remember all that while pushing a heavy weight.

mj_0360
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I added another 40lbs onto my front squat this week, not too shaby.

Sinister613
02-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Sorry if i missed it but you said you can replace leg extensions with these? Would you do tjese and back squats in same workout then or just do these in favor of back squats?

Thanks

zedhed
02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I would alternate from week to week.

red crayon
02-01-2013, 10:59 PM
I do them both. I would say that you need to try and find what works for you. My wife says my work out is more like an "S" and "M" thing than a BodyBuilding thing. lol, arent they all?

Sinister613
02-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Yea doesn't everyone do it for the pain?

SisterSteel
02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Sorry if i missed it but you said you can replace leg extensions with these? Would you do tjese and back squats in same workout then or just do these in favor of back squats?

Thanks

Yes, front squats can replace leg extensions. I don't perform leg extensions ever because they cause my knees to be in pain, even with light weight. Leg extensions also have absolutely no carry over to anything else so I see no need to perform them.

I do front squats and back squats every week in my leg workout. After those I may put in reverse band squats, rdl's, blute bridges, GHR's, etc. I'm not a fan of any machine that uses a weight stack.

Wallycn
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I have been noticing that lately when I've been doing extensions. It doesn't last long but for about 10-15 seconds my knees burn when I finish a set.

SisterSteel
02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I have been noticing that lately when I've been doing extensions. It doesn't last long but for about 10-15 seconds my knees burn when I finish a set.

I'm not talking about a burn or soreness. I'm talking about actual pain in my knees. It's bad enough where I can't squat or do anything.

zedhed
02-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Front squats will give you so much more then leg extensions and not ruin your knees in the process.

AlphaMuscle
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
That's excellent piece of info there. I have been meaning to look this up for a while. Im glad I came across this. Thanks

AlphaMuscle
02-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Try to place 2 25lb plates on the ground touching one another and place your heels on them - This allows for a deeper squat even with the feet close together.

MuscleAddiction
02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Front squats will give you so much more then leg extensions and not ruin your knees in the process.

And because of Zed getting on my ass about doing extensions, I have not done them in over a month...squat, lunge, press, and squat again.

Try to place 2 25lb plates on the ground touching one another and place your heels on them - This allows for a deeper squat even with the feet close together.

This does work well, helps with balance too...love front squats, problem is the bar rolls on me before my legs give out.

SisterSteel
02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
...........This does work well, helps with balance too...love front squats, problem is the bar rolls on me before my legs give out.

That's why I recommend Olympic weightlifting shoes. They have a heel on them (made of wood or some polymer). The heel opens you hips and makes it easier to get into position. I wouldn't go as high as a 25lbs plate because if you go to high, you'll put pressure on your knees. Instead of the 25lbs plate use a a 10lbs plate. That is right at the right height. You want the heel height to be around 1".

MuscleAddiction
02-12-2013, 07:38 PM
That's why I recommend Olympic weightlifting shoes. They have a heel on them (made of wood or some polymer). The heel opens you hips and makes it easier to get into position. I wouldn't go as high as a 25lbs plate because if you go to high, you'll put pressure on your knees. Instead of the 25lbs plate use a a 10lbs plate. That is right at the right height. You want the heel height to be around 1".

Yes you are right...I do use 10's more than quarters, and yes been looking into those shoes you are talking about, will grab a pair for sure.

SisterSteel
02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
There are a few places you can get Oly shoes:

dynamic-eleiko, rouguefitness, and pendlay all carry Olympic weightlifting shoes.

MuscleAddiction
02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
There are a few places you can get Oly shoes:

dynamic-eleiko, rouguefitness, and pendlay all carry Olympic weightlifting shoes.

Thanks girl!

SisterSteel
02-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks girl!

Anytime. If you have any questions about the shoes let me know because there are differences. For an all around good shoe I'd go with with power perfects from Adidas. You can find them at dynamic-eleiko.com.

bigmike88
02-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Anytime. If you have any questions about the shoes let me know because there are differences. For an all around good shoe I'd go with with power perfects from Adidas. You can find them at dynamic-eleiko.com.

ty!