PDA

View Full Version : Just bragging a bit.

exphys88
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
I've climbed this mountain tons of times, usually taking 2 days including sleeping in the snow. But, the last time I did, we started from where this pic was taken, snowshoed to the base, put on crampons and climbed it and snowshoed all the way back in 1 day. 10 hours of nonstop climbing, w about 30 lbs of gear on my back!
This is truly my playground.

Orange24
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Shasta?

exphys88
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
No, lassen, but I have done Shasta 3 times too.

Orange24
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
That's gorgeous bro. Congrats and good work!

exphys88
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
That's gorgeous bro. Congrats and good work!

Thanks bro. The feeling of summitting a mountain is incredible. Definitely addicting.

Ironguruera
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks bro. The feeling of summitting a mountain is incredible. Definitely addicting.

U know they make snow mobiles right? Lol j/k bro.

exphys88
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
U know they make snow mobiles right? Lol j/k bro.

Lol, that would be blasphemous.

Ironguruera
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Lol, that would be blasphemous.

Nice to see ya on here bro. I haven't been on iron mag In ages

exphys88
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Nice to see ya on here bro. I haven't been on iron mag In ages

You too. I'm mostly here and IM.

Vicious 13
01-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I love being in the mountains that's awesome

exphys88
01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I love being in the mountains that's awesome

Yeah, you're not too far from me either, I think. I think I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I can still drink water from the ground in the mountains around me.

Fit Guru
01-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Your insane.end quote

AgentYes
01-04-2013, 02:23 AM
Your insane.end quote

This.

ordawg1
01-04-2013, 02:56 AM
I think we are both insane-EX lives right down the road from me in Tibet !! Oh -wait.........I am on the road about half the year-not sure where I call home now ? Probably here at MC lol-OD

AgentYes
01-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Its the snow! Cannot hang.

ineedtogrow
01-04-2013, 03:55 AM
wheres the "like" button when you need one! thats great bro! a new achievement is always exciting

NTL
01-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Looks like fun.

ordawg1
01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Its the snow! Cannot hang.

You would look SUPER HOT NEKID in the snow !!Think of the fun we would have lol-OD

SisterSteel
01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Exphys88 have you climbed any of the 7 summits?

exphys88
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Exphys88 have you climbed any of the 7 summits?

I have not, but I do have my sights on Denali. My serious climbing buddy is in the peace corp and we have plans to do it once he's out.
I've done quite a few 12,000-14,000 ft mountains, all unguided and unroped, so Denali at 20,000 ft will be quite a step up.

exphys88
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
You would look SUPER HOT NEKID in the snow !!Think of the fun we would have lol-OD

It's interesting how hot any girl looks when you come across one mountaineering. Lol

exphys88
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
I think we are both insane-EX lives right down the road from me in Tibet !! Oh -wait.........I am on the road about half the year-not sure where I call home now ? Probably here at MC lol-OD

You need to take me rafting!

ordawg1
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
You need to take me rafting!

Which rivers-I have done most all of them ? Probably the best is the Grand Canyon in small raft-is 16 days-225 miles-161 rapids-several class 10s. Have done it 3 times-but am gone a month or longer as to side hiking excursions.LMK-OD

exphys88
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Which rivers-I have done most all of them ? Probably the best is the Grand Canyon in small raft-is 16 days-225 miles-161 rapids-several class 10s. Have done it 3 times-but am gone a month or longer as to side hiking excursions.LMK-OD

That sounds amazing, but scary. I've only done Klamath, trinity and Sacramento River, but never more than class 3. I'd love to do multiple day trips.

zedhed
01-04-2013, 02:24 PM
That is one awsome pic bro. Jealous!
Years ago my brother and did several ofthe 14ers in Colo...lot of fun and good memories.

exphys88
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
That is one awsome pic bro. Jealous!
Years ago my brother and did several ofthe 14ers in Colo...lot of fun and good memories.

So you know how shitty 14,000 ft feels.
I've taken a pulse oximeter to the top before and everyone in the group was at about 75% oxygen saturation. If I was to go into the ER in the 80s, they admit me immediately! Crazy

Vicious 13
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Crazy I've never been that high I don't think any of the mountains i snowboard get up that high. I'm not sure how high mammoth gets up to

exphys88
01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Crazy I've never been that high I don't think any of the mountains i snowboard get up that high. I'm not sure how high mammoth gets up to

Most in ca only go up to bout 8-9. Plus they give you a lift lol.
Its so incredible to climb for 12 hours straight, heavy pack, fear of death w every step, can't breath, nauseous, and dizzy, yet you find something in you that keeps you moving forward when everything in you is screaming at you to give up.

Vicious 13
01-04-2013, 03:14 PM
That's crazy last year it dumped pretty good so we went to get some back mountain action at baldy. We were supposed to cut right like halfway down but missed it and dropped into a valley. I've never been more scared in my life. Waist deep snow took us about 4 hours to get out. I really thought we were going to die that day. I gotta have my lifts the snow takes it all out of u especially if you've got some weight on u. It was a great feeling when I got to the top though

exphys88
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
That's crazy last year it dumped pretty good so we went to get some back mountain action at baldy. We were supposed to cut right like halfway down but missed it and dropped into a valley. I've never been more scared in my life. Waist deep snow took us about 4 hours to get out. I really thought we were going to die that day. I gotta have my lifts the snow takes it all out of u especially if you've got some weight on u. It was a great feeling when I got to the top though

It's no joke to get caught in something like that.
My number one rule when heading out is to have the minimum gear to be able to spend the night-shovel, sleeping bag, emergency blanket, lights, stove and extra food. My day packs are always above 25 lbs because of this, but it gives me peace of mind.

I was once caught in a huge storm for 14 hours. We planned on digging a snow cave to sleep in but the snow was so powdery that it just kept collapsing on us. Luckily we brought a 2 man tent just in case; we had to sleep 3 guys in a 2 man tent for 14 hours. It snowed so much that we had to shovel snow off the tent all night and when we finally got out the next day, we were in waist deep snow w snowshoes on.

AgentYes
01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
That sounds amazing, but scary. I've only done Klamath, trinity and Sacramento River, but never more than class 3. I'd love to do multiple day trips.

Class 3? The American has solid 4 north fork spring time go hit it!

ordawg1
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Class 3? The American has solid 4 north fork spring time go hit it!

Good runs on Amercan-but GC has it's own rating due to HUGE flow.It is beautiful and BIG !! It's all fun-OD

AgentYes
01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Good runs on Amercan-but GC has it's own rating due to HUGE flow.It is beautiful and BIG !! It's all fun-OD

I just love me some american river summer camping you can't beat the heat <3

Vicious 13
01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I went rafting in WA for the first time. It was fun as hell but cold. Didn't help that I threw a ganor off Of a big rock, I got to finish rafting soaked.

ordawg1
01-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I went rafting in WA for the first time. It was fun as hell but cold. Didn't help that I threw a ganor off Of a big rock, I got to finish rafting soaked.

Never cold-whether rafting or climbing buy QUALITY clothing and you will be fine.Junk clothing or equipment can ruin a trip-kinda like shitty gear can ruin a cycle-OD

Vicious 13
01-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Yea that's for sure. I didn't pack right, had to buy all new Columbia gear while I was there. I was doing good till I got in the water. I had a wetsuit on but it was still cold. The water there wasn't to extreme I would love to step it up a few notches. Grand Canyon would b fun. Get two birds stoned at once, I've always wanted to see it

exphys88
01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Never cold-whether rafting or climbing buy QUALITY clothing and you will be fine.Junk clothing or equipment can ruin a trip-kinda like shitty gear can ruin a cycle-OD

Exactly, I've climbed in 10 below and was comfortable because I spend money on my gear.
Just what I carry in my pack and the clothes on my body can be worth up to 3 grand. My climbing pants and shell are close to 1 grand.

chrisotpherm
01-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Wow bro, that is crazy prices. However whatever you love you will spend money on!!!

Orange24
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
^^ its true. I'm a brewer. My brewery has cost me lots and lots. All worth it because its what I love most

ordawg1
01-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Exactly, I've climbed in 10 below and was comfortable because I spend money on my gear.
Just what I carry in my pack and the clothes on my body can be worth up to 3 grand. My climbing pants and shell are close to 1 grand.

Ppl alwys ask what a 16 day rafting trip costs.Is about 4 K per person-WITHOUT travel " to & from" and gear.Dry bags-hydro skins-wave light-booties- gloves- splash jacket and pants etc etc.The initial amount is not bad until you add gear and other. But- go without good gear and you are screwed.Actually a grand for a good shell and pants is not too bad IMO.Plus-they can save your life !!-OD

exphys88
01-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Wow bro, that is crazy prices. However whatever you love you will spend money on!!!

It's one of those hobbies that bring me happiness and good health so my wife goes along.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Exphys88 who's your gear made by? Arc'teryx, Marmot, Moutain Hardware, North Face?

I also have a question. If I was looking to buy a decent shell to wear when I go hiking (that's something I'd like to get into) what would you advise me to buy?

exphys88
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Exphys88 who's your gear made by? Arc'teryx, Marmot, Moutain Hardware, North Face?

I also have a question. If I was looking to buy a decent shell to wear when I go hiking (that's something I'd like to get into) what would you advise me to buy?

I have a ton of brands-arc'teryx, marmot, mountain hardware. They're all very good brands, w arc'teryx being the most expensive.
If its just for regular hiking, nothing extreme, I'd go w marmot cause its a good product for not as much. Columbia is a cheap option w decent quality too, but its on the bottom of the list in terms of quality. Another option is to buy REI brand gear, they make great products for a great price.

ordawg1
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Actually Columbia bought Mtn Hardwear and they would have a great shell for you IMO.I am like EX-I have all that plus more !! WE are both freaks when it comes to outdoor stuff and equipment.Can't do enough or have enough when storming castles !!-OD
Add-REI is a great suggestion~~

exphys88
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Actually Columbia bought Mtn Hardwear and they would have a great shell for you IMO.I am like EX-I have all that plus more !! WE are both freaks when it comes to outdoor stuff and equipment.Can't do enough or have enough when storming castles !!-OD
Add-REI is a great suggestion~~

I use my Columbia for my not so crazy adventures or for around town. I sure as hell don't wear my arc'teryx gear to the store.!

SisterSteel
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
I'll take both of your suggestions and check out what REI has to offer. Do you have any suggestions for a REI shell?

exphys88
01-07-2013, 01:10 AM
I'll take both of your suggestions and check out what REI has to offer. Do you have any suggestions for a REI shell?

I always go w gore-tex, because you're sure to stay dry. Typically the more waterproof something is, the less it breathes though, so I get stuff that has vents in the back and/or armpits.

exphys88
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
These marmot precip shells are good jackets for a reasonable price. Good for all around use.

http://www.rei.com/product/804387/marmot-precip-rain-jacket-womens

Nelson303
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I live close to a Sierra Trading Post warehouse. That is a place to check out. All odd sizes too. They carry everything for anything. But it's easy to be a outdoor gear junkie when you live in paradise.

ordawg1
01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I live close to a Sierra Trading Post warehouse. That is a place to check out. All odd sizes too. They carry everything for anything. But it's easy to be a outdoor gear junkie when you live in paradise.

Great store if you can find what you need.I have used some off brand and did well.I have also bought some that I tossed-but prices are good.Nice pic bro-OD

zedhed
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Could you imagine doing it in all wool and hob nailed boots.....those old timers were some tuff MoFos! That shit is a ton when it gets wet/sweaty. So just add 40 lbs for clothing and your g2g...back then.

SisterSteel
01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
These marmot precip shells are good jackets for a reasonable price. Good for all around use.

http://www.rei.com/product/804387/marmot-precip-rain-jacket-womens

Thanks exphys88. I'll go and check it out this week. I like the fact that it comes in so many colors.

ordawg1
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Could you imagine doing it in all wool and hob nailed boots.....those old timers were some tuff MoFos! That shit is a ton when it gets wet/sweaty. So just add 40 lbs for clothing and your g2g...back then.

No-I like all my hi-tech goodies too much.lol I am roughing it when I am out of cell phone range and have to use my sat phone !!-OD

Fuelfan
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
I just started reading this post and thought it kinda crazy you guys taking about wanting to go to the grand canyon, I live about 3.5 hours away from there. Fantastic place! We just had a ride on our motorcycles through there a choice months ago. I got room for all of you up here for you to come stay and I'll take you there. You'll need all that warm clothing your talking about right now because where I'm at right now is negative 18° F. Also we have the best skiing around within minutes from my home! Come on up!

ordawg1
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I just started reading this post and thought it kinda crazy you guys taking about wanting to go to the grand canyon, I live about 3.5 hours away from there. Fantastic place! We just had a ride on our motorcycles through there a choice months ago. I got room for all of you up here for you to come stay and I'll take you there. You'll need all that warm clothing your talking about right now because where I'm at right now is negative 18° F. Also we have the best skiing around within minutes from my home! Come on up!

WE might take you up on that come summer bro !! Have you rafted the 225 mile stretch from Lees Ferry down to Diamond Peak ? A " rim to rim" North/South-is also a great hiking trip.There are tons of great hikes in that area as you now.Plus-not too far to Vegas !!-OD

Fuelfan
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I haven't done much rafting other than I've done the snake a few times up in Jackson, WY but I'd love to do more. Yeah Vegas isn't to far away. I really wish you would take meer up on it, I've got plenty of room for you and even got a few extra bikes laying around to go for a nice ride!

exphys88
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
I'd seriously do a rafting trip! no bullshitting, I love adventures and the wifey is great about it. fuel, I'm also a skiier!

exphys88
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM

those guys were way tougher than me! I know some old mountaineers that would build their own crampons and attach them to leather boots. no fuckin way, I want my gore-tex insulated boots with crampon attachments.

exphys88
01-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks exphys88. I'll go and check it out this week. I like the fact that it comes in so many colors.

you're welcome. I'm a huge REI gear whore, mostly because they carry products and they'll take anything back at any time. they will literally take a jacket back years later!

SisterSteel
01-08-2013, 07:22 PM
you're welcome. I'm a huge REI gear whore, mostly because they carry products and they'll take anything back at any time. they will literally take a jacket back years later!

WOW. That speaks volumes. That means they REALLY stand behind their product so they put plenty of time and effort making it the best they can make it. I'm going to REI this weekend and VERY excited.

Vicious 13
01-08-2013, 08:58 PM
I got my north face tent and sleeping bag from rei for a really good price. They have some really good sales sometimes. Got some really nice boots too for like Half off because they were a season old.

exphys88
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I got my north face tent and sleeping bag from rei for a really good price. They have some really good sales sometimes. Got some really nice boots too for like Half off because they were a season old.

I go to their annual sale too where they sale all of their returns for like 75-90% off.