PDA

View Full Version : 34 Ways to Increase Your Deadlift

SisterSteel
01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
In light of a recent PM I received from a member, I thought I would post up these 34 ways to increase your Deadlift:

Perfect your Technique

1. Learn the Olympic Lifts. The Deadlift is not a Stiff-legged Deadlift. Olympic Lifts will teach you to keep your hips down.

2. Learn to squeeze your abs. A tight core is key to lifting big weights. It’s also safer for your lower back. Brace your abs.

3. Do glute activation work. If you lockout the weight by pulling back instead of using the glutes, start doing glute activation work.

4. Improve hip mobility & flexibility. Tightness in the hip area will make it harder to use the glutes. Do some (dynamic) flexibility work.

5. Deadlift more. The more you deadlift, the better you’ll become. Try deadlifting twice a week: once light, once heavy.

6. Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. The best investment you will make: it will teach you the technique on the major lifts.

Increase your Strength

7. Increase your muscle mass. The bigger your muscles, the greater your strength. So eat more.

8. Use the maximal effort training method. Heavy singles at +90% intensity for 3 to 7 sets.

9. Strengthen your legs. Full Squats & Front Squats are your friends.

10. Strengthen your hips. Box Squats, Glute-Ham Raises, Pullthroughs, Reverse Hypers, Romanian Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlifts, …

11. Strengthen your glutes. Kneeling Squats, Deadlift Lockouts, …

12. Strengthen your lower back. Goodmornings, Reverse Hypers, Weighted Hyperextensions, …

13. Strengthen your upper back. Barbell Row, Powercleans, Powersnatch, High Pulls, …

14. Strengthen your abs. Windmills, Turkish Get-Ups, Front Squats, Zercher Squats, Quarters Squats, Heavy Deadlift Lockouts, Side Deadlifts, Side Bends, Pulldown Abs, Prone & Side bridges, …

15. Do unilateral work. Lunges, Step-Ups, Single-leg Deadlifts, Pistols...

Increase your Speed

16. Pull fast. Learn to pull with maximal speed by applying maximum force & acceleration to the bar.

17. Speed Deadlifts. Several sets at 70% intensity.

18. Bands. Popularized by Westside Barbell: bands will teach you to accelerate the bar.

19. Chains. Another accomodating resistance method. Chains will also teach you to accelerate the bar.

20. Box Squats. Box Squats are perfect to learn exploding from the bottom position.

Train your Sticking Point

21. Train the bottom movement. Deadlifts from blocks, Snatch-grip Deadlifts, Halting Deadlifts, Deadlifts with small plates, …

22. Train the middle movement. Rack Pulls from knee level.

23. Train the top movement. Deadlift Rack Lockouts.

Train for Power

24. Olympic Lifts. Power Cleans, Powersnatch, … will teach you to explode under the bar.

25. Plyometrics. Depth Jumps are perfect to develop leg power.

Train your Grip

26. Stop deadlifting with straps. Straps will only make your grip weaker.

27. Train your supportive grip. Static Holds, Thick Barbell Holds, Side Deadlifts, Farmer Walks, …

28. Use an alternate grip. Best way to achieve big weights.

29. Use chalk. Don’t let sweaty hands be the limiting factor.

30. Use an overhand grip as much as possible. Only use the alternate grip once you can’t handle the weight with an overhand grip.

31. Squeeze the bar. Squeeze it as hard as you can, you’ll have a better grip.

The Don’ts

32. Don't Deadlift in running shoes. They reduce power transmission & impair foot stability. Buy a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Star, they’re cheap & efficient.

33. Don’t use mirrors. It only gives you info on one plane. Learn to feel the movement, listen to your body.

34. Never bend your lower back. Always keep a neutral spine, brace your abs.

kazman68
01-04-2013, 12:45 AM
In light of a recent PM I received from a member, I thought I would post up these 34 ways to increase your Deadlift:

Perfect your Technique

1. Learn the Olympic Lifts. The Deadlift is not a Stiff-legged Deadlift. Olympic Lifts will teach you to keep your hips down.

2. Learn to squeeze your abs. A tight core is key to lifting big weights. It’s also safer for your lower back. Brace your abs.

3. Do glute activation work. If you lockout the weight by pulling back instead of using the glutes, start doing glute activation work.

4. Improve hip mobility & flexibility. Tightness in the hip area will make it harder to use the glutes. Do some (dynamic) flexibility work.

5. Deadlift more. The more you deadlift, the better you’ll become. Try deadlifting twice a week: once light, once heavy.

6. Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. The best investment you will make: it will teach you the technique on the major lifts.

Increase your Strength

7. Increase your muscle mass. The bigger your muscles, the greater your strength. So eat more.

8. Use the maximal effort training method. Heavy singles at +90% intensity for 3 to 7 sets.

9. Strengthen your legs. Full Squats & Front Squats are your friends.

10. Strengthen your hips. Box Squats, Glute-Ham Raises, Pullthroughs, Reverse Hypers, Romanian Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlifts, …

11. Strengthen your glutes. Kneeling Squats, Deadlift Lockouts, …

12. Strengthen your lower back. Goodmornings, Reverse Hypers, Weighted Hyperextensions, …

13. Strengthen your upper back. Barbell Row, Powercleans, Powersnatch, High Pulls, …

14. Strengthen your abs. Windmills, Turkish Get-Ups, Front Squats, Zercher Squats, Quarters Squats, Heavy Deadlift Lockouts, Side Deadlifts, Side Bends, Pulldown Abs, Prone & Side bridges, …

15. Do unilateral work. Lunges, Step-Ups, Single-leg Deadlifts, Pistols...

Increase your Speed

16. Pull fast. Learn to pull with maximal speed by applying maximum force & acceleration to the bar.

17. Speed Deadlifts. Several sets at 70% intensity.

18. Bands. Popularized by Westside Barbell: bands will teach you to accelerate the bar.

19. Chains. Another accomodating resistance method. Chains will also teach you to accelerate the bar.

20. Box Squats. Box Squats are perfect to learn exploding from the bottom position.

Train your Sticking Point

21. Train the bottom movement. Deadlifts from blocks, Snatch-grip Deadlifts, Halting Deadlifts, Deadlifts with small plates, …

22. Train the middle movement. Rack Pulls from knee level.

23. Train the top movement. Deadlift Rack Lockouts.

Train for Power

24. Olympic Lifts. Power Cleans, Powersnatch, … will teach you to explode under the bar.

25. Plyometrics. Depth Jumps are perfect to develop leg power.

Train your Grip

26. Stop deadlifting with straps. Straps will only make your grip weaker.

27. Train your supportive grip. Static Holds, Thick Barbell Holds, Side Deadlifts, Farmer Walks, …

28. Use an alternate grip. Best way to achieve big weights.

29. Use chalk. Don’t let sweaty hands be the limiting factor.

30. Use an overhand grip as much as possible. Only use the alternate grip once you can’t handle the weight with an overhand grip.

31. Squeeze the bar. Squeeze it as hard as you can, you’ll have a better grip.

The Don’ts

32. Don't Deadlift in running shoes. They reduce power transmission & impair foot stability. Buy a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Star, they’re cheap & efficient.

33. Don’t use mirrors. It only gives you info on one plane. Learn to feel the movement, listen to your body.

34. Never bend your lower back. Always keep a neutral spine, brace your abs.

Great post! Jim Cash who was a great deadlifter told me to imagine when pulling the bar, act like your trying to push your feet through the floor, not sure if everyone will understand, but once you get it down you will know what I mean. Your posts on powerlifting are simply awesome Sister!

SisterSteel
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Great post! Jim Cash who was a great deadlifter told me to imagine when pulling the bar, act like your trying to push your feet through the floor, not sure if everyone will understand, but once you get it down you will know what I mean. Your posts on powerlifting are simply awesome Sister!

Thanks Kaz. I'll be posting threads of mine on Olympic weightlifting and even bodybuilding eventually.

It's interesting for me when I sit back and see my progression going from Bodybuilder to Oly lifter to Powerlifter. It's been a helluva ride so far and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon and for those wondering.... yes, I do plan on returning to the bodybuilding stage in time.

AgentYes
01-04-2013, 01:55 AM
Glute activation revolutionized my squat and deadlift... not to mention dat ass. I do my little routine before every lower body workout and I love the results.

Awesome list girl thank you! Very timely for me :)

I was taught this cue as "push the world away from you"

SisterSteel
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Glute activation revolutionized my squat and deadlift... not to mention dat ass. I do my little routine before every lower body workout and I love the results.

Awesome list girl thank you! Very timely for me :)

I was taught this cue as "push the world away from you"

A great movement for glute activation is the "glute bridge". You can do it seated on the floor or with your shoulders on a bench. I'll make a thread about that movement next probably because most don't even know about it.

And you have quite the ass to.... I might add. ;)

Encino_Mang
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Good post..............my deads are sad :(

AgentYes
01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
A great movement for glute activation is the "glute bridge". You can do it seated on the floor or with your shoulders on a bench. I'll make a thread about that movement next probably because most don't even know about it.

And you have quite the ass to.... I might add. ;)

My best friend does weighted you're bridges with 225 I kid you not! That is the only time you're allowed to use a pussy pad. When tube bar is actually ON your pussy lol. I'm too shy to do them ;)

And ty :)

AgentYes
01-04-2013, 07:25 PM
That should say weighted glute bridges :/

kazman68
01-04-2013, 10:11 PM
And you have quite the ass to.... I might add.

I could say something really bad, but I will keep my mouth shut, this AL Test is good stuff!

SisterSteel
01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Good post..............my deads are sad :(

Well, this will help you improve upon them.

My best friend does weighted you're bridges with 225 I kid you not! That is the only time you're allowed to use a pussy pad. When tube bar is actually ON your pussy lol. I'm too shy to do them ;)

And ty :)

You're very welcome. ;)

You can bridge 225lbs. I bet your hips are stronger than you think. I perform them with 315lbs easily for high reps.

AgentYes
01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Well, this will help you improve upon them.

You're very welcome. ;)

You can bridge 225lbs. I bet your hips are stronger than you think. I perform them with 315lbs easily for high reps.

Not me. A friend of mine and she has about 30lbs on my DL right now. My hip flexors are strong though. Full sit ups.

Bruiser
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Great info here Sis!