PDA

View Full Version : RDL Variation

SisterSteel
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I know many of you perform RDL's with a bar using the standard clean grip which is shoulder width. That's how you were probably shown and it works. But... I have a small change and it doesn't require you to stand on something and use anything other than the bar you're accustomed to.

Instead of using a clean grip when you perform RDL's, try using a snatch grip (very wide grip). This will not only increase the ROM the bar travels it will also bring the lats and upper back into play.

Here's a vid illustrating the variation of the movement. Give them a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZG5ciDrD0

kazman68
01-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Your posts are always so informative, thanks again Sister.

SisterSteel
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Your posts are always so informative, thanks again Sister.

Just sharing some of my training tips/secrets that have helped me develop my physique. Hopefully, it can help others.

zedhed
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Hey suga is there a diff in the way Europeans do the RDL then the way we do em here in the US?
Am asking cuz I have seen many vids of the Bulgarians doing them with much more knee bend and thats how I do em. The typically use the snatch grip and go low as in to the floor, but like I said with quite a bit more knee bend.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey suga is there a diff in the way Europeans do the RDL then the way we do em here in the US?
Am asking cuz I have seen many vids of the Bulgarians doing them with much more knee bend and thats how I do em. The typically use the snatch grip and go low as in to the floor, but like I said with quite a bit more knee bend.

Those aren't RDL's you're watching. Those are snatch pulls. It's an Olympic weightlifting assisting lift. It's something totally different. I can write about snatch pulls if you'd like since I competed in Olympic Weightlifting for 4 years. IMHO everyone should perform Snatch Pulls, Snatch High Pulls if you have access to bumpers.

There are quite a few Olympic assisting lifts that everyone could benefit from like snatch pulls, clean pulls, pull from the blocks, pulls from the hang, power cleans, good morning/squat combination, Klokov press, etc.

zedhed
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Go for it suga.
The thing is I saw it on an RDL page. Maybe I missed a sub heading....wouldnt be the first time fosho!

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Go for it suga.
The thing is I saw it on an RDL page. Maybe I missed a sub heading....wouldnt be the first time fosho!

You probably didn't miss something. It was probably just mislabeled. RDL's are performed in Oly lifting but more times than not they are performing a variation of a pull. In Oly lifting, pulls are king and so they're worked a million different ways to help increase their Clean & Jerk and Snatch.

zedhed
01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
K gotcha and thanks suga!

twist84
01-09-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm going to give this a shot instead of a ordinary RDL. Looks good, thanks for info.

Fit Guru
01-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks Sister! Good info!

chrisotpherm
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Awesome video. Unfortunately all my deadlifts days are over with. Even with light way they irritate the heck out of my bulging disk and almost leave me paralyzed the next day.