PDA

View Full Version : Work that Booty

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
You may or may not have heard me speak about an exercise called a "glute bridge". Well if you haven't, than listen up because this movement will make a world of difference for you if you want a nice ass (speaking to the women) and it'll help you get a bigger deadlift and squat (speaking to the men).

As everyone knows, a strong posterior chain is crucial in lifting heavy weights. What makes up the posterior chain? The calves, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. Today, I'm going to talk about a lift that will work your glutes/hams.

So let's dive right in... This movement is so important because it puts direct work on the glute/hamstring region without allowing the lifter to use his/her upper body. Without the use of the core and upper body you have to utilize the hip extensors. When you perform this lift, you wan to fully contract your muscles at the top of the lift. You don't want to sacrifice form for weight with this movement. Be sure to perform each and every rep the same way. Also, keep this movement fluid and smooth to keep from sustaining an injury.

You begin with yourself on the floor and the bar right above your pelvis. This will be uncomfortable so you may want to put a pad on the bar. Bring your heels as close to your butt as you can get them. Use your hands to hold the bar in position. As the weight gets heavier, you may need to have someone standing behind you (to help keep you in place). Bridge the weight up using your hams and glutes. Than slowly lower it down in a controlled manner. Don't crash down with it.

Here's a vid to illustrate what it is I described...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWW8Ja5ETEg

Ironguruera
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Looks like that would work awesome! thanks for always including videos in these posts sister. Makes it so easy to see what u mean!

Great post as always.

zedhed
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Man that chick must be tiny. Ive done these and have a hell of a time getting under the oly bar and weights. Then I tried setting the bar/weights on blocks....didnt work so well. Lost ROM. And yes if your using any weight you will deff need a pad on that bar.

Ironguruera
01-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Yea I figured the pad is a must for any decent weight.

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Looks like that would work awesome! thanks for always including videos in these posts sister. Makes it so easy to see what u mean!

Great post as always.

You're welcome Ironguruera. I find it's always easier to understand what someone is saying if you include a video to visually show what's being explained.

Man that chick must be tiny. Ive done these and have a hell of a time getting under the oly bar and weights. Then I tried setting the bar/weights on blocks....didnt work so well. Lost ROM. And yes if your using any weight you will deff need a pad on that bar.

Try putting the bar on 45lbs plates. It will raise the bar for you a couple of inches(to give you more room to get under the bar) and still have a decent ROM to perform the lift.

Ecto
01-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I damn sure need to incorporate these into my week somehow, cause my deadlift and squat are pathetic at best. Hell i can bench more than I squat.

zedhed
01-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Ecto Ecto Ecto.....:cool:

Fuelfan
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm trying to train my wife and oldest daughter and this is absolutely going to be incorporated into their workouts. Sister you got it figured out! Fantastic posts!!!

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I damn sure need to incorporate these into my week somehow, cause my deadlift and squat are pathetic at best. Hell i can bench more than I squat.

I'd put this exercise in your leg day since it's a ham/glute movement.

I can help you with your squat but that's for another thread or PM's. There are many questions I'd ask you like are you sitting back when you squat, are you pushing your knees out, how wide is your stance, etc.

Encino_Mang
01-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Is this hard on the lower back?

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Is this hard on the lower back?

Your hamstrings may cramp up on you if you're not properly hydrated when you perform them but I haven't found it to be hard on my lower back at all.

Ironguruera
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Your hamstrings may cramp up on you if you're not properly hydrated when you perform them but I haven't found it to be hard on my lower back at all.

I suck at the whole water intake thing...... I'm working on it!

babablacksheep
01-06-2013, 08:05 PM
really good exersise for improving that thrusting motion you need in the bedroom.....pound away baby!!!!!!

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I suck at the whole water intake thing...... I'm working on it!

Remember it's 1 ounce of water for 1 kilogram of bodyweight and that's just for sendentary individuals soooo for us athletes we need more. I'd suggest you do 1.5x that amount. For example... I'm 195lbs (a lil under 90kg) but I take in a lil over a gallon a day (127ounces).

Encino_Mang
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM

I'm in.....hips and hams are key to power squats!

edit: and glutes too ;)

ineedtogrow
01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
i like reading these threads from you Sis. always very knowledgeable and gives me some great ideas. thank you

Minxen33
01-06-2013, 09:43 PM

Sister- what do you think about this variation? this is how I do these for "maximum activation at the top of the lift"

SisterSteel
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Sister- what do you think about this variation? this is how I do these for "maximum activation at the top of the lift"

I think that's a good variation. Doing them from the floor allows you to use more weight but doing them with a flat bench allows for a greater ROM.

Ecto
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
SisterSteel, what sets and reps would suggest on this exercise.

SisterSteel
01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
SisterSteel, what sets and reps would suggest on this exercise.

I'd suggest sets from 5reps to 3 reps. You're goal is strengthen that area. Also, you want to really contract fast and hard to get your glutes/hams firing on all cylinders.