PDA

View Full Version : How do you structure your work out?

red crayon
01-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Im guessing that most people here have a good Idea on how to set up a work out. You can follow one that you saw in a magazine, There are some good ones in some of the magazines. If you cant find one that suites your needs how do you set one up? This is mostly directed at beginers and people that think that they have a lot of experience but really dont get it. You might even call this a rant of sorts anyway. . . .

I will tell you what the formula is that I use for my work outs and I hope you guys will post the way you come up with the set of exercises you use on the days you work out. Again Im hopeing to get some corrections and improvements to the Ideas that I use. If I knew everything there would be no point to being here, would there.

I normally begin with compound exercises and then progress to Isolation exercises and at the very end I usually will do a pumping exercise.

Heres an example. I did this today:

Squats First set 135 20 reps 4 sets total

Leg Press First set 135 all sets 10 reps 4 sets

Front squat I tried to do 4 sets but I havent got this one down with the new grip. 135 pounds

Seated leg Curls 4 sets ten reps 160 first set (machine has 20 pound plates)

Seated Leg extensions 4 sets 10 reps 160 first set

Stiff Leg dead Lift 4 sets 10 reps first set 135 pounds

Standing Calf raises 4 sets at 20 reps with 160 pounds

I have had a lay off of 9 mounths because of work and no time. I also want to be able to function at work so Im raising the weight slowly.

As you can see the compound exercises (Uses lots of muscle groups) are first then the isolation and so on. I also hope you guys will post what you use to decide on the exercises you use. Oh and please correct me or offer any Ideas you might have. Im here to learn!

Nelson303
01-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Well. I go by feel. I have a general idea but go with the pump. I think your workout is a great jump back in routine. I would just lighten up isolation moves for more reps. Seems to get more blood in there. And for me after killing squats. I Lots of light high volume machine work seems to cut down on being sore. But I can't follow a written routine. May my odd acting up.

SisterSteel
01-10-2013, 01:51 AM
My weightlifting program is designed to increase my strength, speed, agility, and coordination.

zedhed
01-10-2013, 05:37 PM
So show us plz suga.

SisterSteel
01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
So show us plz suga.

You know I can't say no to you Zed. ;)

Here's an example of what could be one of my weeks.....
PULL DAY
Deadlift (could be conventional or sumo) 3,3,3,1,1,1
Snatch High Pulls (speed work) 3,3,3,3,3
Seated Good Mornings 7,5,5,3
1-Arm Rows 10,10,10

LEG DAY
Back Squat 3,3,3,1,1,1
Reverse Band Back Squat (speed work) 3,3,3,3,3
Front Squat 3,3,3
Glute Ham Raise 10,10,10

PUSH DAY
Bench 3,3,3,1,1,1
Standing overhead press (strict) 3,3,3
Z-Press 7,5,5,3
Close Grip Bench 7,5,5,3
Triceps Extension 10,10,10

I use %'s for my numbers and no matter how I feel I have to hit my numbers. This does put some pressure on me but than again I want that because you feel quite a bit of pressure when you compete and you have to learn how to cope and deal with that pressure.

Fit Guru
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I always start legs with extensions .it warms up the knees for squats plus its not a mass builder.another thing is always increase the weight (per your leg press log) if your doing 145 for all sets your cheating yourself.beginner or not.no way your getting maximum growth using same weight for every set.

red crayon
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I posted the weight I begin with and thats all. I didnt want to look like a weinie or make anyone try and do the weight I do and get hurt. I really dont care if I ever lift 500 pounds but I want to look like I can. I guess Im saying I try and do Body Building and if the strength comes thats ok and if it doesnt thats ok too. What ever it takes to get the size, thats the main goal.

Nelson303
01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Well. Body Building is about illusion. Just cause you look like a Greek God don't mean you are strong.
Red, I get what you are saying. I'm tall as hell and only volume work helps me. While my buddy is doing just shit and looks great. So just change it up more. And fucking kill it dog.

red crayon
01-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I have always told the people I work out with that there are some things that are always true about Gum Rats.
1. We all want to Impress the opposite sex
2. We all have to show off what we got
3. We all want it now
lol, If I met a woman on the street I cant show her my 500 pound bench press on the spot. On the other side of that I can catch her eye with the way my body looks! This is easy to prove. Go to the Mall and stand in front of the window of almost any store and look at the reflection of the women behind you. They all act like the are in their own little world untill they are behind you and think you cant see them. If you have done a good job at the gym almost everyone of the women will check you out as the pass behind you! lol, Now you see where Im coming from.

Fuelfan
01-11-2013, 06:42 PM
We've been doing the Blood and guts workout put together by Dorian Yeates. We do like to switch it up a bit for some muscle shock. I've grown more the past 6 months doing that and running AL gear than I have in the last 3 years. A far as putting together workouts for my wife and daughter I do what we call a 3 2 1. First I pick 3 compound movements which consist of one upper body, one core and one lower body movements and do 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps of each exercise with a 2 minute rest after each round. Then I pick 2 others compound movements consisting of one upper and one lower exercise and do 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 minutes rest between rounds. Then they pick a body part like bicep or triceps or whatever it may be and do isolated exercise. They absolutely love it and works very well for them.

Fit Guru
01-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Nelson I'm gonna have to disagree with you here and I hate to ever disagree. Big muscles means big strength at least 90% of the time. Yes bodybuilding is about creating an illusion onstage but what I've seen is where u see big muscles you see big strength. I can relate tho when I was young I was td black people had natural big muscles but weren't strong. But to every exception there is a rule but all the bodybuilders I'm around( and its alot) are as strong as they look.

Nelson303
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Glad to disagree Fit. Can't wait to use you. I can tell it will be fun. And I bet you are right 90%. I just like to disagree. I guess. But I look like a twig and crush these dudes with size. I'm not monster strong. But I have had a few reps with amateur guys. No pros. After they got there pump it was done. And I do 5 more sets. Since I'm broken the 500's are not easy but. Pride and 3 days recovery and I'm there. Maybe I'm just WEEK. Fit Guru I will be picking your brain. A lot.

But what is considered strong. 500+ on every major lift.

exphys88
01-11-2013, 10:40 PM
This is an interesting topic, and I don't really have an opinion, but I do know that I was blessed w muscles that look bigger than they are. I get a lot of compliments, but I'm not that strong, and I know some guys that can move trucks but aren't that big.

But, I believe to get to the professional bbing levels that fit works w, you can't get away w being sorta strong.

To get big enough for girls to notice you, you don't have to be at that level though.

SisterSteel
01-12-2013, 02:14 AM
But what is considered strong. 500+ on every major lift.

Strong is a subjective word. I could tell you what I consider strong to be but that doesn't make it right. Some people consider strong to be a number you hit and others say it's when you lift multiples of your bodyweight.

red crayon
01-14-2013, 01:30 AM
This is exactly what I was looking for! If you have a different Idea than I do I want to hear it. If everyone agrees with me Im never going to learn anything, Keep shareing your Ideas I love it!