PDA

View Full Version : More volume while on cycle?

smoovy
01-10-2013, 01:20 AM
a typical day in the gym for me is 5-6 lifts, 60 min. I been doing that for 3 years, anything over an hr and my body doesnt heal fast enough and eventually it catches up to me and I stop gaining strength.

I'm currently in week 2 of a Test e and dbol cycle. Ive read that your muscles heal much faster when taking test and essentially you could train every day if you muscles would heal fast enough and you would see very rapid results. Ive also been reading Arnold's autobiography and he talks about lifting for 3 hours a day (this is before he made it big). So I'm wondering if my typical 5-6 lifts and 1 hour isn't going to be enough. How long should I be training for? Does it just depend on your body? Oh I forgot to mention, I lift 4 days a week and try to get in 1-2 days of either hill sprints or prowler/sled.

SisterSteel
01-10-2013, 01:38 AM
First what kind of program are you following to gain strength? 5/3/1, 5x5, WSBB, Sheiko, Cube, Juggernaut, etc?

Secondly, you not only need to be concerned about your muscles recovering you also need to be concerned about CNS recovery from the workout.

Even with AAS you wouldn't be able to literally train everyday if you're training for strength. You're body and mind need time to recoop from the workout. That would lead to overtraining (CNS fatigue) and that would just set you back.

You can do GPP in between your workouts like sled pulls and such.

I also wouldn't consider Arnold a strength athlete. He was a bodybuilder which is more about aesthetics and less about athletics (how much you can lift).

smoovy
01-10-2013, 02:28 AM
4 week phases, splits, phase 1 8RM, phase 2 5RM and phase 3 3RM. each day begins with the big lift, then the rest of the lifts are higher reps, each week the sets various so that I end the phase on a 1 set max for the main lift. This sort of program has worked very well for me so I decided to use it while on cycle.

red crayon
01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Sister steel is right. Even if the muscles recover (They wont) on a every day work out schedule Your CNS wont. That means that your brain will get tired and you will have the ability to lift but you wont have the motivation. It will be hard to get going and get anything done. You will also eventually get the shakes and twitches. I have pushed the limits of what I could do and often pushed to far. Propper rest no matter what your on is necessary. If your chemically assisted you will get faster results but the same basic rules apply. Most people I see that I know are assisted lift two days with one day off then two more days lifting and two cardio days, then repeat. I dont know if thats the best way but it works. I would start there. Work outs are one to one and a half hours in length. I hope this helps.

mj_0360
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
I add a sixth day and I add an extra exercise or two whenever I am on cycle. I find that I heal a lot faster but I need to make sure I eat, eat, eat and sleep enough,

Fit Guru
01-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I think your fine where your at not really knowing everything but it seems o be fine for recouperation

kazman68
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Good point about the CVS Sister, most people don't realize this is where you usally burn out, that being said I have always been a volume guy..on I usually go a little longer, I have found volume, with a fair amount of rest between sets works best for me, I usually train 90 min, 3 hours seems a bit much but I know Lee Priest supposedly follows something like this...go by how your body feels, if I feel like more I do more, if not I back off...

Fit Guru
01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Good point about the CVS Sister, most people don't realize this is where you usally burn out, that being said I have always been a volume guy..on I usually go a little longer, I have found volume, with a fair amount of rest between sets works best for me, I usually train 90 min, 3 hours seems a bit much but I know Lee Priest supposedly follows something like this...go by how your body feels, if I feel like more I do more, if not I back off...

I know I made my best gains when I sped up my workouts to no more than 45 min.i used to train 2 hours for years.that was way too much volume and yes your CNS burns out quick.

kazman68
01-11-2013, 03:15 AM
I know I made my best gains when I sped up my workouts to no more than 45 min.i used to train 2 hours for years.that was way too much volume and yes your CNS burns out quick.

I have tried that and I don't feel I get as good as results, everyone is different.