PDA

View Full Version : Personal Power Lifting Equipment

red crayon
01-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I like to be proactive in my lifting so that I can stay Injury free. What personal lifting Equipment do I need so that I can work on some of the power lifts (ie. Squats, Deadlift, Bench also I like to do the Clean and Press from the floor.) I lift raw, I know what that term means, and I think I need a better set of equipment. (Equipment = Lifting straps, Belts, Knee Wraps etc.) I usually buy most of my equipment at prowriststraps.com. Thanks.

red crayon
01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Straps, Shoes? Does anyone have any Ideas?

Ironguruera
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
ok I'll chime in. I'm confused. U said u lift raw....I thought that's no straps, belt etc? .

Are u transitioning away from that?

That said. I really enjoy wrist wraps for pressing work and some bicep curls. I have small weak wrists and find when I move decent weight my wrists hurt. Well not with the straps. I like black with red stripe style with Velcro and thumb loop.
Shiek and many others make nice ones.

I also like belts. I have some shiek belts. A monsta powerlifting style with lever clasp setup. It's epic! the monta like most hardcore leather belts pinches me pretty good. Vs the shiek belts being super comfy and flexible. If u want a tight super supportive belt though the shiek is not stiff enough IMHO. I even have their powerlifting fabric one that's black and red. I do like that one a lot. For heavy moves though I like the monsta and just not worry about the pinching lol.

For shoes depends on my mood. I often wear vibram 5 finger komodos.
For leg day I recently have been using my otomix lifting shoes. I like the slightly raises heel in them.

I prefer not to use straps to strap to the bar. My back is shit so I don't wanna push the back moves to far with straps. I also like the grip/forearm work that no straps provide.

red crayon
01-21-2013, 02:57 AM
If I confused you Im sorry. I ment I lift with out a suit. I have to use a set of straps because I smashed my right hand in the past and it sometimes lets go. I cant lift like that. I use these straps when dead lifting.http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/12398 My belt is a leather .25 inch thick belt I have had for years. I keep it clean and maintained very well with sadle soap and mink oil.

I appreciate the info on the shoes. Strange as it may sound I use a pair of new balance shoes or my work boots. I know the shoes are important but I had to try and guess what to wear. I want to learn the right way to do the lifts, if Im not already doing them right. I dont mind buying new equipment but want to get the right stuff. I already have some equipment that looked good but was mostly useless. Thanks.

SisterSteel
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Let me chime in and explain raw. There are 2 kinds of raw, classic raw and raw.

Classic Raw is allows for knee wraps, wrist wraps, and a belt

Raw allows knee sleeves, wrist wraps, and a belt.

If you're looking for equipment than you would need to decide which type of raw you would like be under and than pick up the few items. You'll also want to get a good pair of shoes. I personally think Spud Inc Suspension straps are worth their weight in gold so I'd also recommend you pick up a pair of those as well. In case you need to dump the bar and don't want to get folded like a lawn chair.

You'll have to see what federation you want to compete in b/c that will dictate the length of the wrist wraps and also knee wraps (if you decide you want to go that route).

This can turn into a very big discussion so let talk about this more so we can get you on the right track.

red crayon
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
To begin with Im coming off of a nine month lay off because of work. I want to see what I can lift first since Im about 53. I have lifted heavy weight in the past. If I cant get my total for the bench, dead lift and squat over 1500 or close to 1800 I dont think there is much point in competing. I still like to do the lifts and dont want to get hurt thats why I asked about the equipment. I appreciate any help, I would like to keep the answers on the forum so everyone here can benefit from them, if thats ok. Thanks.

SisterSteel
01-21-2013, 06:15 PM
To begin with Im coming off of a nine month lay off because of work. I want to see what I can lift first since Im about 53. I have lifted heavy weight in the past. If I cant get my total for the bench, dead lift and squat over 1500 or close to 1800 I dont think there is much point in competing. I still like to do the lifts and dont want to get hurt thats why I asked about the equipment. I appreciate any help, I would like to keep the answers on the forum so everyone here can benefit from them, if thats ok. Thanks.

1800lbs Raw is a big total. That's an Elite total for the 308lbs class in APF (which is the biggest non tested federation). You have to remember gym lifts and meet lifts a vastly different. For the bench you start the decent but you have to wait for the press command and than the rack command. For Squats you have to get set and than when you make eye contact with the head judge (center judge) he gives you the squat command and so you begin to squat. For the deadlift, you can't wear straps and you can't move your feet once you're set and beginning your pull. You also have to wait for the down command and once you're given it you can't just drop the bar.

Now, I'm not saying you can't hit it but it won't be easy.

red crayon
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
If you dont ask you may never know.

I knew that the lifts that you do in a meet were different from what you do in the gym, I didnt know what the difference was. I have looked at my lifting logs and sometimes I go back and do what I call a beginners routine. Bench Squat and Dead Lift with a couple more compound lifts thrown in all in the same session. Thats about as close to a meet as I have come so far. The best one I could find was a 300 pound bench (My bench sucks) a 595 dead lift and a 555 squat all on the same day. Thats a little over 1400 pounds. Thats not bad but I cant tell you if the lifts would have been disqualified in a meet or not. I do pause at the bottom, I have for years, thats about all I can say for sure. Thats a good total but not good enough in my opinion to hit the top three in most meets. Also That was about 2 years ago, I did have to work up to that I cant do that everyday, I am on HRT and my test level usually is around 300-350 when they test it. Other than the HRT stuff I was completely natural, I only had the supplements I bought at BB.com. I usually lift by myself, no training partner or trainer. Sometimes I video tape my lifting sessions so I can possibley improve my lifting technique.

With all that in mind I believe that a 1500 pound total is reachable, maybe more. Especially since Im here and working my lifts from a different angle. I am currently working on getting back to where I was when I had to stop lifting. When I get there I want to work on adding more weight to my lifts but I also want to try and stay injury free, if possible. The main reason I lift is to try and slow down the ageing process, I have been very successful at that. I mainly work my lifting from a bodybuilding angle but I do know that you need some power in order to get any size. I hope these random thoughts havent confused you guys. I was thinking that maybe this information might help you help me if your so inclined to do so. With all the info being in a thread instead of a bunch of Private messages it might also help someone else. You know get the info out here once and be done with it. Again, Thank You Very Much for helping!