PDA

View Full Version : worlds strongest man competition

Ironguruera
01-19-2013, 01:36 PM
man these guys are incredible! Even my wife loves to watch these competitions with me. She gets all into it and yells at the tv lol.

Last night they squatted 700 lbs. one guy got 11 reps! Beast mode! I couldn't believe my eyes.

Are these guys drug tested ? Or it it like a NPC bb event? I'm not saying these guys aren't strong or impressive by any means....just have a hard time believing they are natty!

SisterSteel
01-19-2013, 01:45 PM
No, they are not drug tested. Strongmen are the definition of strength athletes. I mean think about it. PLers hold a 800lbs deadlift as a holy grail and those guys rep it. Strongmen lift obnoxiously heavy weights and they're still agile. Watch the medleys. Talk about impressive.

What was so impressive with that 700lbs squat is that the bar didn't spin on it. It was all ONE welded piece. That makes it INCREDIBLY hard to squat.

Big Brian Shaw had problems this WSM b/c of his recent surgery but he'll be back. I don't know how much longer Big Z can still compete. He's been at or near the top for a decade.

Bruiser
01-19-2013, 02:00 PM
No, they are not drug tested. Strongmen are the definition of strength athletes. I mean think about it. PLers hold a 800lbs deadlift as a holy grail and those guys rep it. Strongmen lift obnoxiously heavy weights and they're still agile. Watch the medleys. Talk about impressive.

What was so impressive with that 700lbs squat is that the bar didn't spin on it. It was all ONE welded piece. That makes it INCREDIBLY hard to squat.

Big Brian Shaw had problems this WSM b/c of his recent surgery but he'll be back. I don't know how much longer Big Z can still compete. He's been at or near the top for a decade.

Well put Sis. Is the reason a lot of PLs are staring to add in some strongman work into their training. I think Brandon's Cube method does that too. It's so insane to watch those guys. I've got several friends who compete in strongman and it's a trip to watch those guys train let alone compete. One of my prized possessions is a personalized autograph pic of Mammoth Shaw hanging on my gym/garage wall!

Ironguruera
01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Well put sis. I was hoping u would chime in!

Yeah they did the anvil race my jaw was on the floor. To pick up 275 lbs and fucking run with it!?!? Then they would sprint back...... Mad respect !

These guys are very well rounded. to watch a 300+ lb guy be that agile is crazy.

SisterSteel
01-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Well put Sis. Is the reason a lot of PLs are staring to add in some strongman work into their training. I think Brandon's Cube method does that too. It's so insane to watch those guys. I've got several friends who compete in strongman and it's a trip to watch those guys train let alone compete. One of my prized possessions is a personalized autograph pic of Mammoth Shaw hanging on my gym/garage wall!

His PLing Cube method actually has some Olympic Weightlifting in it which I think is a good idea. I was a Olympic Weightlifter before I transitioned to Powerlifting and MANY of the great lifters use Olympic Weightlifting Assisting lifts in their program. I've been preaching that for over 5 years. Lilly does have a Strongman Cube Method but I haven't had a chance to read that one yet.

kazman68
01-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Well put sis. I was hoping u would chime in!

Yeah they did the anvil race my jaw was on the floor. To pick up 275 lbs and fucking run with it!?!? Then they would sprint back...... Mad respect !

These guys are very well rounded. to watch a 300+ lb guy be that agile is crazy.

These guys are well rounded, some of the best athlete's period!

Here is one of my favorite moments, When Bill Kazmaier wins the silver dollar deadlift, and pulls an extra rep just to say 'in your face'! It's at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiGNyx8N7w

940# X2 and could have done more...

babablacksheep
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Yea those guys can lift some ungodly weight.....and actually move around with it

chrisotpherm
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Just makes you wonder the toll it takes on the body though.

Ironguruera
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Just makes you wonder the toll it takes on the body though.

I feel pretty risk free from the sofa lol.

I don't know how those guys don't throw their back out or tweak a knee!

Bruiser
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Lots of Deca... Lol

kazman68
01-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Franco actually dislocated his knee, falling down while running with a refrigerator on his back.

chrisotpherm
01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah I think I will just stick to what I'm doing. Lol.

Ironguruera
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Franco actually dislocated his knee, falling down while running with a refrigerator on his back.

A refrigerator on his back!?! Franco was a beast! he had a crazy deadlift. One of my favs ESP for a shorty.

AgentYes
01-20-2013, 09:53 PM
If you ever get a chance to go to a live strongman please take it. Hands down the most fun I have ever had at a live sporting event. There will be a big one this year at the San Jose Fitexpo.

They have gotten smarter about what the guys do there have been a few horrific injuries historically. Its just thrilling watching these guys throw atlas stones around OMFGHEEE

Ironguruera
01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Yea after recording this comp and getting Into it, I'd love to watch one in person!

Even my 1 yr old was watching it with us lol.

AgentYes
01-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Yea after recording this comp and getting Into it, I'd love to watch one in person!

Even my 1 yr old was watching it with us lol.

Do a google search for "_____ strongest man" with your state name i think all of the states have the now. One of my best bros is the strongest man in our state :)

SisterSteel
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM

And Kaz tore something pretty bad one time when he was trying to bend some rebar. That's why they dropped it from the event selection.

SisterSteel
01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Do a google search for "_____ strongest man" with your state name i think all of the states have the now. One of my best bros is the strongest man in our state :)

Here's the site:

http://www.nastrongman.com/

Getstrong34
01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
agreed walking around at 350+ is a feat in itself