PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Question

Ecto
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
I Love 5/3/1, but does anybody find that working that one body part once a week is not enough??? I hate to go messing with Jim's Template, but I need to Bench at least twice a week to maintain strength gains and push to new levels.

red crayon
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
There is nothing that says you have to stay on a 7 day schedule with your work outs. Right now mine are on an 8 day schedule. Sometimes I will run a six day schedule. One on one off and so on. Just make sure you can repeat the same schedule all month long and get enough rest. I know there is more to it than that but thats what I have done. I hope this helps.

artman115
01-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I hear ya. I went with DC Training a few years ago. On cycle I tend to want to push it to EOD rather than take wkd off. But I stick to the plan.
Ex:

Mon - A1 day:Chest, Shoulders, triceps, Back Width, Back Thickness

Wed - B1 day: Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hamstrings, Quads

Fri - A2 Day: Same muscle groups as A1 different exercises

Sat -Off
Sun - Off

M B2, W A3, F B3

rinse and repeat

SisterSteel
01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
I Love 5/3/1, but does anybody find that working that one body part once a week is not enough??? I hate to go messing with Jim's Template, but I need to Bench at least twice a week to maintain strength gains and push to new levels.

No, I don't find that to be the case at all. Now I do have both speed work and strength work but they're both done on the same day.

Most programs with the execption of Sheiko and WSBB have people benching just 1x week.

And I wouldn't focus on benching. OH pressing is what's going to bring your bench up, not the other way around.

Ecto
01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
No, I don't find that to be the case at all. Now I do have both speed work and strength work but they're both done on the same day.

Most programs with the execption of Sheiko and WSBB have people benching just 1x week.

And I wouldn't focus on benching. OH pressing is what's going to bring your bench up, not the other way around.

Thanks on the tip. Cause I was fixing to cut the OH Press a little and work a Bench in there. I'll just stick to Template.

Getstrong34
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
im on my 5th go round of 5/3/1 and have had tremendous gains in strength. I agree the pressing movements increased my bench for sure. I have attended Jim and Dave's seminars in the past and that question is always asked.

Vicious 13
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
I've asked a couple times but don't think anyone has chimed in. I like doing 1 3 5 and go heavy to light any pros and cons

SisterSteel
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
I've asked a couple times but don't think anyone has chimed in. I like doing 1 3 5 and go heavy to light any pros and cons

What's your questions Vicious? I've pretty well versed on 5/3/1 as well as most other training programs (WSBB, Cube, Sheilko, my own, etc)

Vicious 13
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Well instead of doing 5 3 1 I like I do my heaviest set first so I do 2 4 6 is that a bad way if doing it. I just feel I'm stronger on my first set than my last so i like going heavy to light. Maybe that's bad though

Vicious 13
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Anyone?

SisterSteel
02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
You're just doing the pyramid in reverse order. As long as you follow the %'s from prilepin's chart you should be good. It may be a bit harder on your joints jumping immediately to the heaviest weight first so keep an eye on that and make sure you're sufficiently warmed up.

And btw, that program does exist. It's called RPT. I'd say try it and let us know how you like it. You can also read up on it. The idea with it is that you focus on the first set (making progress with each time).

Vicious 13
02-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks sister. Yea that's what i like about it, is making progress on my first set because its only a rep or two and I feel strong and not fatigued.

TheRage93
02-19-2013, 06:42 PM
I agree. While I enjoy the shoulder work, I just add an extra bench day. Light. Just for extra work.

mondtster
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks on the tip. Cause I was fixing to cut the OH Press a little and work a Bench in there. I'll just stick to Template.

Do the OHP day and use incline and weighted dips as accessories.