PDA

View Full Version : Half and Quarter Reps

red crayon
01-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Is there a weight lifting (Bodybuilding) protocol (dog crap, 5x5, pyramid) that has you doing half and quarter reps all the time? I see several people doing this at the gym I go to. It looks like they are simply trying to pump the muscles they are working. Most of the exercises I see them using look like a weighted version of the mandatory poses. What is this? I watched one of them do 4 sets of front squats (I think thats what it was) All quarter and half reps, from the standing position (top half) hands crossed, coming up off their heels every time. Then a row, kinda. Bottom quarter of a full row. Then a standing cable curl that looked like a rear biceps pose, half reps only.

Am I missing something? Best I can tell, they just take more special supplements and do work outs that make no sense to me. Im always looking to gain more knowledge but there is no rhyme or reason to this. Am I missing something here? I finally cant stand this any more I have to ask you guys maybe you know, what is this?

Sherk
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Lol. Those are people who have no idea what they're doing. I laugh at them on a daily basis. There's a kid at my gym whose about 5'10 and would be surprised if he weighed 120. He walks around with his chest puffed out and arms wide from phantom lat syndrome. He does quarter reps on everything.

artman115
01-30-2013, 12:59 AM
......He walks around with his chest puffed out and arms wide from phantom lat syndrome....

^^ ha ha ha

Sherk. No halves or quarters on the DoggCrapp... Although I'm sure a few people probably think I'm crazy when they see me laying on the bench after chest, stretching in the db fly position. Prob think in stuck there.

Vicious 13
01-30-2013, 01:02 AM
sometimes my last rep will b a half rep because of no spotter. but not the whole set

red crayon
01-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Im glad I actually am not going crazy. I dont plan on saying anything to these people its pointless. I have heard several people say that the main guy doing this knows so much they always go to him for help (He is big but not balanced). Really I hope he keeps doing this. I can tell from what I see that he is on so much stuff that he could just do some jumping jacks and a few push ups and grow. He doesnt have any off cycle either. Anotherthing he always looks like a kangaroo while he is doing a set. Its sad really.

Dont get the wrong Idea though I know that you have to cheat or whatever to get the last rep or two on a heavy set but I dont think the whole work out (every rep) should be like this. Guys thanks for the replies! Now that I have got this off my chest I will be fine, Thanks!

Manny1983
01-30-2013, 02:07 AM
I've heard of working on your sticking point on certain exercises by only working let's say the top half or bottom half of a movement but not for a whole workout.

red crayon
01-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Yes I do that myself I had to do my squat like that. The thing I mentioned isnt like that. I began to think that it was some kind of special work out I didnt know about. I guess its just a lack of knowledge, thats all.

ordawg1
01-30-2013, 03:47 AM
I like to watch the hot women do bent over ANYTHINGS !! When I watch all these other dick wads-I get all upset.So -I just watch the women and my BP stays good.My cawk gets a lil wood-but better than trying to figure out the morons-or the fat ass gym guru lol-OD

NTL
01-30-2013, 10:04 AM
I got two guys that are in the gym the same time as me that practice the quarter &half Rep religion.

Fuelfan
01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
I know a guy that does that shit when he trains biceps on the curl machine. He calls them "baby bumps". What he does is like a set of 8 reps and on the last rep he lowers it about 3/4 of the way down and gives it these little bumps 100 times and does 4 sets of them. The guy has absolutely HUGE arms so I wonder if it really does work? I'm not going to tell him that's stupid cause the dude could plow me over!

Ironguruera
01-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Yes x reps by Steve holeman(sp)

Larry Scott also did them and called them "burns". Good enough for Larry the legend.....good enough for me!

It's a way to tax the muscle once U can no longer do a full rom rep.

Fit Guru
01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Yea those guys are idiots. The only time to do quarter reps is in a "to failure" set and this is pure failure where u can't move it. Too much of this will wreck your central nervous system.

SisterSteel
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
People train less than full ROM reps because it allows them to lift more than they would if they actually performed the movement through the full ROM. There are some assisting lifts like rack pulls, pulls from the blocks, board presses, etc that are beneficial in working the top portion of the lift but they shouldn't replace the main lift. They should only assist in increasing the main lift. For example, a rack pull will help with your deadlifts if you have problems with the lockout. If you're problem is starting the lift than rack pulls won't help you at all.

artman115
01-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Exactly Sis!! Right on point!! Sticking points, plateaus and lockout work.

Nothing replaces the full range of movement. I blame it on all these new mag and DVD training routines.

zedhed
01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
No halves or quarters in any 5x5 that I know of. If its not a full its a do over.

MuscleAddiction
01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
I've heard of working on your sticking point on certain exercises by only working let's say the top half or bottom half of a movement but not for a whole workout.

^^^ this, I do this for bench, but last exercise of workout.

kazman68
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
We have a guy that dons the big powerlifting belt, wrist wraps and proceeds to do 1/16-1/32 reps I'm not kidding maybe 3 at a time..guy looks like...well you know what I mean...

mj_0360
01-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Lmao I seen a dude doing squats in the power rack with 245 on his back grunting away doing half reps tonight. I almost felt kinda bad for him.

red crayon
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
I have seen several people do this kind of a work out over the years. I always wondered if it had a name. The whole work out is always partial reps. It seems to build a massive pump but when the cycle (yes they were on cycle) was over the pump went away faster than it came. All that was left was a bunch of strech marks. I think partial reps have their place but they should be a small part of a work out. IMHO.