PDA

View Full Version : Everyone knows how to do side lateral raises right?

AlphaMuscle
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Side laterals is a brilliant exercise which is performed in a bad way

People think by using heavier weights they are gonna get bigger shoulders or maybe it's an ego thing showing off to their gym bro's. Well it's stupid.

The work out is called side lateral for gods sake! So why do some people at the same time work their lower back, buttocks, calf muscles and hamstrings???

The movement has to be controlled and your back stable. if you have to swing like a monkey then the weight is too heavy bro.

Sherk
02-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I use to tell this guy that almost everyday. He swings the weight on every type of lift. It doesn't matter if its bi's, tri's, shoulders or anything else. He incorporates his entire body to the lifts and claims he's power lifting. No it's not power lifting its retarded lifting. He's out constantly with injury after injury.

red crayon
02-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Kangaroo. . . . . They look like a kangaroo lifting weights. Full reps? Forget about it. They dont do many of those either. The most common question I hear those guys ask is "Im lifting heavy why aint I growing?" The best answer to that is "I dont know." I do know but they wont listen. The main part that gets me is I have to wait until they get out of my way so I can use the rack, get the dumbbells, use the bench or what ever. Their lack of knowledge is astounding! I use less weight and make the muscle work through the full range of motion. I almost always make some kind of progress. Its all right there if they would only look and see what I do. Dont get the wrong Idea Im not perfect but I work at it. Im always correcting my form, getting one more rep, lifting another 5 pounds, something. Its progress. Can you tell this is one of my pet peeves, lol.

zedhed
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Put up a good vid of the correct way to do em bro!

Negao
02-28-2013, 02:56 AM
When I do side laterals, I like to have the thought of "opening up my chest" when I bring the weight up. I also turn my pinky upwards like I'm pouring out a glass of water.

This probably makes no sense at all.

Sherk
02-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I know what you mean with the pinky, but I can't picture opening up your chest. I just did shoulders last night and was working with someone I know. What I told him was elbows up which in turn will do what you say with the pinky. He kept trying to keep his elbows more down but that hits more of the front delt than the side.

red crayon
02-28-2013, 10:10 AM
The shoulder moves your arm up. The part of the arm it moves is from the shoulder to the elbow. Most gyms have a good set of mirrors. look in the mirror the muscles that are moving are the ones doing the work. (for any exercise this is true) If you still have a hard time telling if your hitting the side delts with the lateral raise put a piece of tape on it. Now try and feel the tape move. When the muscle contracts or expands the tape will move as well. I use electrical tape. I read an article about this several years ago, they called it "Touch, feel, grow". That sounds kinda simple. It really is that simple. Sometimes I help some of the new gym members with their lifts and I always tell them "The body part thats moving is the part thats doing the work".

Manny1983
02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
The way I do them might look a little goofy but it works.

I grab onto something I can wrap my hand around and grip well, place both feet against whatevery I'm grabbing onto and hang sideways then start the motion. Really helps avoid any movement

zedhed
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
What kind of weights you all use?
Cant picture that Manny...
I do em elbow up and pinky up also.
My delts suck.:(

wanabbig
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
I use cables or dumb bells, depends on the mood. Stand straight with my head slightly foward to focuse on the traps and delts. Nice and smooth range of motion watching closly in the mirror. Sometimes I'll sit down and do the same thing.

Manny1983
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
What kind of weights you all use?
Cant picture that Manny...
I do em elbow up and pinky up also.
My delts suck.:(

I don't like how he has his feet, I like to have my feet against the same bar I'm hanging from to avoid my feet slipping or moving but you get the idea.

Sherk
02-28-2013, 04:20 PM
You can also set up an adjustable seat like you're doing incline bench but lay on your side. That give good separation from the delt to the arm. It's a variation of the side delt raise that Arnold came up with in the late 70's. it doesn't need a lot of weight. I use 20lb db 4 sets of 12-14.

EZ_E
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
The way I do them might look a little goofy but it works.

I grab onto something I can wrap my hand around and grip well, place both feet against whatevery I'm grabbing onto and hang sideways then start the motion. Really helps avoid any movement

Yup, this is money...

This move is probably 2nd only to squats in f-ed up form.....

"The bounce"

"The peacock"

~EZ

BigBones
03-01-2013, 01:28 AM
I find all movements that hit the deltoid a hard with high reps to be of high value for one looking for growth.
With the lateral movement, personally I strap up. This is going to sound silly but form is everything, always for a bodybuilder.
I do these seated with a tight straight back, letting my arms sink with weights wrapped via my straps, lifting to pinch my delts.
The movement is very concentrated and focused, NO SWINGS, NO RECRUITING of other muscles. A huge amount of weight is not necessary.
High reps, a few good sets, maybe even a few drop sets dependent on what your goals are.

>> BigBones

EZ_E
03-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I find all movements that hit the deltoid a hard with high reps to be of high value for one looking for growth.
With the lateral movement, personally I strap up. This is going to sound silly but form is everything, always for a bodybuilder.
I do these seated with a tight straight back, letting my arms sink with weights wrapped via my straps, lifting to pinch my delts.
The movement is very concentrated and focused, NO SWINGS, NO RECRUITING of other muscles. A huge amount of weight is not necessary.
High reps, a few good sets, maybe even a few drop sets dependent on what your goals are.

>> BigBones

Yesss, doing these seated is tremendous...

~EZ

zedhed
03-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks Manny. Now its crystal!

EZ_E
03-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Zed, what's happenin' bossman???

~EZ

Manny1983
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM

No problem brother

Ironguruera
03-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Hey guys I thought I would chime in here. I totally am with you guys. Weight is not as important to form and muscle isolation in regards to bb.

However that said. U can in fact use "power" to use extra weight but still isolate the targeted muscle.

Here is well respected mr Scott Abel (google him he was HUGE when he competed) with natty bb Kevin the machine Weiss showing how to blend power with correct form.

think outside the box gentlemen. If u watch and listen his form is great and he is still hitting the medial delt! He is controlling the movement not just dangerously throwing it all over!

Check out this vid

http://youtu.be/YO7mvXaCbmY

SisterSteel
03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't like how he has his feet, I like to have my feet against the same bar I'm hanging from to avoid my feet slipping or moving but you get the idea.

I do them a little like this. I call them hanging side laterals and you can actually get some trap work in at the top of the lateral movement which I like.

AlphaMuscle
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I actually did that exercise with the cables today, definitely going to try with dumbbells next week .