PDA

View Full Version : Home Gyms

Mattingly
03-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Anyone else here lifting at home? My gym equipment had been in storage for almost 7 months while I moved my family across the country and waited for our house to get built. Everything is set back up now except for some mirrors and posters/pictures I have to hang. Hung some slatwall to organize attachments, etc. works great!!

Main equipment is a PowerTec power rack, PowerBlocks (90lb set currently but adding on to it shortly), TDS Lat Tower, Body Solid Functional Trainer, assortment of bars/attachments, adjustable bench, preacher curl, incline trainer. Everything is on horse stall mats. They work friggin awesome for your gym floor!

What type of equipment does everyone else have at home?

Vicious 13
03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Yo bro I really want to set up my own home gym I'm glad I posted cause maybe u can help. My 24 hour pass expires in may it some shiy and honestly I can't stand that place. There's a frock if line for every thing. I'm thinking get a rack so I can bench and squat maye a full rack of dumbells. I'm just bummed cause I use a lot of hammer strength machines and I knownicant by them. Also I really want a steam room as this one of he main reasons uneven go to 24.... Any advice I would appreciate I'm haw some money ready to
Go buy I'm by trying to go over a grand and get crazy. What do u guys think? I'm thinking it might even b worth it to get a nice bench and do cray days at home because waiting to bench is fucking ridiculous.... Especially when your necking three times as much as the guy and gs taking like ten minute rests I seriously want to take him outside

Vicious 13
03-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Fuck sorry guys I know that's hard to read I just tried but i started drinkig and well it is what it is

Vicious 13
03-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Matt sorry for the dumb questions but about how much did j out into it

Mattingly
03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
LOL Vish! Not a dumb question at all. Very pricey if I add it now after the fact. But, I just prioritized and bought the most important things in order. Adjustable bench and dumbbells first. I highly recommend PowerBlocks for a home gym, they take up hardly any space. Power rack was key and really should have been first purchase plus obviously olympic bar and plates. The lat tower and functional trainer with selectorized weight stacks are more luxury items I saved for and added recently. They just allow for a massive selection of movements and diversity. Plus the wife now works out with me but funny thing is she prefers working in the power rack. Who knew?!

Vicious 13
03-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks Matt goin to seriously start looking at equipment

Mattingly
03-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Let me know bro, glad to help any way I can. I spent a ton of time researching and shopping around.

MuscleAddiction
03-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Anyone else here lifting at home? My gym equipment had been in storage for almost 7 months while I moved my family across the country and waited for our house to get built. Everything is set back up now except for some mirrors and posters/pictures I have to hang. Hung some slatwall to organize attachments, etc. works great!!

Main equipment is a PowerTec power rack, PowerBlocks (90lb set currently but adding on to it shortly), TDS Lat Tower, Body Solid Functional Trainer, assortment of bars/attachments, adjustable bench, preacher curl, incline trainer. Everything is on horse stall mats. They work friggin awesome for your gym floor!

What type of equipment does everyone else have at home?

Wow...nice Matty! I have a universal gym, bench press with Olympic weights, dumbells, different plates, tractor tires, heavy bags...just if I get bored. I do all the rest of my lifting at 2 different gyms.

Mattingly
03-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Nice MA! I was going to add a gym membership initially but my home gym has really turned out better than I even had originally planned. Dont know if I could ever go back to a commercial gym now other than to maybe mix it up every now and then down the road.

Vicious 13
03-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Can I ask u guys what u are roughly on the home gym? Also I've made this post before I'd love to jar my own steam room if anyone had any ideas on the best way to do that

Vicious 13
03-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Have not jar sorry guys

Ecto
03-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I workout at home. My set-up is small and simple but works for me. I have a pull-up/dip station, Pendlay Bumper Plates and Bushing Bar, Rogue Squat Stands, Powerblock DB's, EZ Curl Bar, and a Bench.

Mattingly
03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Nice Ecto. I was looking at some of the Rogue equipment last night. Are you setup in basement or garage?

SisterSteel
03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
A home gym isn't a feasible option for me. All the equipment I need is very costly.

Mattingly
03-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I hear that SS, not to mention the space requirements can be a challenge. Definitely not for everyone or every situation. I never considered working out from home until I got married and we had a baby. It is just so much easier to head out to the garage and get my workout in after tucking the baby in. I just don't miss workouts any more which is key for me, just being consistent.

Ecto
03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Nice Ecto. I was looking at some of the Rogue equipment last night. Are you setup in basement or garage?

Well it used to be my garage, but we closed it in and put a false wall in front of garage door w/ insulation. I love the stuff at Rogue, it's very heavy duty, their squat stands kick ass. I wish I had room for a GHR.

zedhed
03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Dam dude thats some super nice equipment there.
My home workout area is on the cheap....
Squat Rack
500 Lb oly set
Reg size plates (200 Lbs) with extra long dbl bars
Pull/Chin up bar
Steele saw horses, very handy when you dont have a spotter
Adjustable bench with leg curl attachment
Recumbent bike
Treadmill
Assoreted Jump Stretch bands up to 300 Lbs
Just bought 2 packs of the Golds Gym interlocking weight room mats and love em. Very good quality and appear that they are gonna last.
And 2 sets of wrist straps
Thats it

Mattingly
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice Zed! Are you exclusively lifting at home or do you have a gym membership as well?

SisterSteel
03-03-2013, 12:02 PM
I hear that SS, not to mention the space requirements can be a challenge. Definitely not for everyone or every situation. I never considered working out from home until I got married and we had a baby. It is just so much easier to head out to the garage and get my workout in after tucking the baby in. I just don't miss workouts any more which is key for me, just being consistent.

I would consider it if I could have a building to house it all (like a 2 car garage) and could put together a consistent team to train with. I'd need a monolift, squat cage, comp bench, platform, DB's and plates, and than I'd need a 45lbs & 55lbs squat bar, DL bar, bench bar, safety squat bar, cambered bar, and a few other things like bands and chains.

Manny1983
03-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a home gym and I love it. I got all my equipment off Craigslist, the 2 half racks and 2 benches (one isn't visible), lat pull down with lower pulley, 600# in plates, 2 O bars, Ez curl bar and rubber flooring was like 250 if I remember rite i bought it from a high school that was upgrading equipment. Not shown is the picture is a power tower I traded my old iPhone 3G for. it looks like a cluster fuck in the picture lol but I had been doing drop sets and didn't pick up my plates that night. Also I'm moving all that equipment to my parents garage cuz its bigger and Ive been staying at their house since mine got robbed. Unfortunately my house is to far to drive out to in order to train so it's been a minute since I last trained and it sucks.

zedhed
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Nope no gym membershit bro. Only at home for me. Oh and I have a computer with a sound system for tunes and vids for breaks and when Im on the bike.

Mattingly
03-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I would consider it if I could have a building to house it all (like a 2 car garage) and could put together a consistent team to train with. I'd need a monolift, squat cage, comp bench, platform, DB's and plates, and than I'd need a 45lbs & 55lbs squat bar, DL bar, bench bar, safety squat bar, cambered bar, and a few other things like bands and chains.

That would be an awesome setup! We have a 3 car garage and the single garage is the dedicated gym. Never enough room for all the equipment I want though.

Mattingly
03-03-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a home gym and I love it. I got all my equipment off Craigslist, the 2 half racks and 2 benches (one isn't visible), lat pull down with lower pulley, 600# in plates, 2 O bars, Ez curl bar and rubber flooring was like 250 if I remember rite i bought it from a high school that was upgrading equipment. Not shown is the picture is a power tower I traded my old iPhone 3G for. it looks like a cluster fuck in the picture lol but I had been doing drop sets and didn't pick up my plates that night. Also I'm moving all that equipment to my parents garage cuz its bigger and Ive been staying at their house since mine got robbed. Unfortunately my house is to far to drive out to in order to train so it's been a minute since I last trained and it sucks.

I friggin love it Manny! That looks like my kind of gym, designed to train in and not sit around and chat!

Mattingly
03-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Nope no gym membershit bro. Only at home for me. Oh and I have a computer with a sound system for tunes and vids for breaks and when Im on the bike.

That works Zed! We Hung a tv on the wall to watch when on the incline trainer and have one of those Bose SoundDock's for my iPod for music when lifting. I think we are starting to scare the neighbors! :-p

Ironguruera
03-03-2013, 02:35 PM

Didn't we tell u to organize that fucking OSHA nightmare ?? Lol nice setup manny.

zedhed
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
LOL bro all of my neighbors are pretty far away so no issue there. But sometimes the dogs howl...

MuscleAddiction
03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Didn't we tell u to organize that fucking OSHA nightmare ?? Lol nice setup manny.

Lol...that is what I was thinking...do you use the lampshade for any training techniques? I have some things in my garage as well...Paramount universal gym, bench press adjustable, bars, plates, even have a Hammer Strength H-squat machine that is disassembled...too damn big to put up, and it is just goofy looking.

Manny1983
03-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Lol...that is what I was thinking...do you use the lampshade for any training techniques? I have some things in my garage as well...Paramount universal gym, bench press adjustable, bars, plates, even have a Hammer Strength H-squat machine that is disassembled...too damn big to put up, and it is just goofy looking.

Lol that's the same picture as before commie lol it's much more organized now

NitroTech
03-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Here's pics of my home setup. Real pain carrying those weight stacks down the stairs.

Mattingly
03-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Nice bro! I hear ya about bringing everything down the stairs. My gym was in my basement last house. The toughest thing was bringing the horse stall mats down. Hired movers when we moved, man did they struggle with all my equipment!

redhawk01
03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Here's pics of my home setup. Real pain carrying those weight stacks down the stairs.

nice. old school universal shit. same set up we had in high school. home of the 200lb bench club. lol

NitroTech
03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Yea, I bet that universal is 30 years or more old! It does the job but I'd still like a rack and free weights, but then I'd take over the entire basement. Doubt that would go over. :)

nice. old school universal shit. same set up we had in high school. home of the 200lb bench club. lol

Mattingly
03-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Just ordered a trap bar and curl bar that fits in my power rack (84"). Yep, a 7' olympic curl bar. The ever evolving home gym! The only thing I hate about ordering new equipment is having to wait for it!!

mryar
03-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Yo bro I really want to set up my own home gym I'm glad I posted cause maybe u can help. My 24 hour pass expires in may it some shiy and honestly I can't stand that place. There's a frock if line for every thing. I'm thinking get a rack so I can bench and squat maye a full rack of dumbells. I'm just bummed cause I use a lot of hammer strength machines and I knownicant by them. Also I really want a steam room as this one of he main reasons uneven go to 24.... Any advice I would appreciate I'm haw some money ready to
Go buy I'm by trying to go over a grand and get crazy. What do u guys think? I'm thinking it might even b worth it to get a nice bench and do cray days at home because waiting to bench is fucking ridiculous.... Especially when your necking three times as much as the guy and gs taking like ten minute rests I seriously want to take him outside

I'm torn as well. Its cheaper to do a home gym, but like you said the regular gyms have extra things like the steam rooms (and bball court in my case). I also find that if I do a workout at home sometimes I cut it short but if I'm at the gym I feel obligated to do the full planned workout, but that might be just me. Is there some place else you can get the steam room? I say this because the ski resort I have a pass at let you use the sports facility which has all that stuff. Maybe a tanning salon or something? But at that point it becomes more than its worth as its so easy to step in a steam room before or after a workout but to drive somewhere just to steam room seems not quite worth it. After this typing I think I'm more unsure. Anyone make a steam room at home?

zedhed
03-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I knew a guy on another site that did. I believe that there are kits for them. Google it and see.

Mattingly
03-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Ordered a trap bar and a 7' Olympic curl bar that fits in my power rack. Should be here next week. Being able to shrug, deadlift, squat, and even do rows with the trap bar just adds to my options every night and allows me to really mix up the workouts.

With the giant curl bar I am excited to close grip bench with the different hand wrist angles. Will also be nice for skull crushers and of course curls and being able to use the safety bars and j hooks of my power rack versus pulling out the TDS stands all the time to use with the standard length curl bar. In this case it is approved to curl in the rack baby!!

mondtster
03-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Wish i had about 5000$ to spend at Rogue Fitness. I would love to have a decked out home gym.

Nitrous
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I put my gym together 11 years ago. Its 90 percent Body Solid. Not pictured is a Stair stepper and a bike.

Mattingly
03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
That's sweet Nitrous! I have some Body Solid equipment as well. Their Functional Trainer is awesome!

Antoni2
04-13-2013, 02:50 AM
I was going to add a gym account originally but my house gym has really converted out better than I even had originally organized. Don't know if I could ever go returning to a professional gym now other than to maybe mix it up every now and then in the future.