PDA

View Full Version : To wrap or not to wrap....

SisterSteel
03-14-2013, 07:56 PM
For those of you who squat and I hope that includes all of you, do you wrap your knees? When do you wrap your knees? Do you wait till you hit a certain percentage or do you wrap after a certain weight is on the bar? Do you wrap the wraps "in" or "out". Do you wrap from the top down or vice versa? Do you wrap them as tight as possible or are they only semi tight?

If you don't wrap your knees, why not? Is there anything keeping you?

This should be an interesting discussion.......

kazman68
03-14-2013, 08:50 PM
For those of you who squat and I hope that includes all of you, do you wrap your knees? When do you wrap your knees? Do you wait till you hit a certain percentage or do you wrap after a certain weight is on the bar? Do you wrap the wraps "in" or "out". Do you wrap from the top down or vice versa? Do you wrap them as tight as possible or are they only semi tight?

If you don't wrap your knees, why not? Is there anything keeping you?

This should be an interesting discussion.......

I don't wrap anymore, but then again I'm not using the huge poundage's I used to, my top sets are with 405, I don't go any higher than that, when I did squat heavy I would start wrapping at 405 not super tight, but when I hit 5 plates and up, I wrapped very tight.

Layddually2
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I have to wrap even with light weight or it kills my knees.

SisterSteel
03-15-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't wrap anymore, but then again I'm not using the huge poundage's I used to, my top sets are with 405, I don't go any higher than that, when I did squat heavy I would start wrapping at 405 not super tight, but when I hit 5 plates and up, I wrapped very tight.

Did you wrap inward or outward? And why did you wrap that way?

SisterSteel
03-15-2013, 08:31 PM
I have to wrap even with light weight or it kills my knees.

How do you wrap?

SisterSteel
03-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Here's another question for everyone. What wraps do you use? I prefer the Titan Titanium Wraps. They're really springy so they give you that "pop" out of the hole.

MuscleAddiction
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I wrap...gifts! Just kidding, but I do really...I will wrap when I free squat 405+, I use Inzer red stripe wraps, when I wrap I start at the bottom of the knee from the inside and wrap out, criss cross across the knee, wrap snug but not to cut off circulation. Still have to get my squatting shoes...but eventually will.

Encino_Mang
03-15-2013, 10:52 PM
My knees have been hurting so I use Inzer knee sleeves........when I wrap I start at 315

Layddually2
03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
How do you wrap?

I don't know the proper way to wrap I just start at left side of knee and wrap around front. I just use the cheap wraps from academy.

SisterSteel
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't know the proper way to wrap I just start at left side of knee and wrap around front. I just use the cheap wraps from academy.

When you pull the slack from the wrap, you pull from the back (when it's behind the knee). Don't EVER pull the slack out when you're going over the top of the knee. That will cause you to have pain.

I'd also suggest you buy some better wraps. There are many different kinds. I'd suggest something springy that you can wrap tight so it'll give you some help out of the hole. You don't need stopping power wraps unless you're a geared lifter.

Layddually2
03-16-2013, 10:32 AM
When you pull the slack from the wrap, you pull from the back (when it's behind the knee). Don't EVER pull the slack out when you're going over the top of the knee. That will cause you to have pain.

I'd also suggest you buy some better wraps. There are many different kinds. I'd suggest something springy that you can wrap tight so it'll give you some help out of the hole. You don't need stopping power wraps unless you're a geared lifter.

Thanks

TheRage93
03-19-2013, 07:47 AM
I only wrap my knees if I'm doing reps/sets with anything over 85-90% of my 1rm. Other than that I use knee sleeves to keep the knees warm.

babablacksheep
03-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Well I start on the wraps at315 on the sust rack...and 8-9 plates on the leg press....and I generally always wrap on the hack squat....I ruined my knees during high school wrestling so I do use wraps almost every time for leg day...and I use some old school flexsports wraps...don't think they make em anymore

chrisotpherm
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I wrap up my knees when I hit 405 on squat and 9 plates on squat rack. Just feel I have better control and form then the wobble wobble I see other guys I see.

SisterSteel
03-19-2013, 09:31 AM
I only wrap my knees if I'm doing reps/sets with anything over 85-90% of my 1rm. Other than that I use knee sleeves to keep the knees warm.

That's exactly what I do normally interestingly enough.

SisterSteel
03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Well I start on the wraps at315 on the sust rack...and 8-9 plates on the leg press....and I generally always wrap on the hack squat....I ruined my knees during high school wrestling so I do use wraps almost every time for leg day...and I use some old school flexsports wraps...don't think they make em anymore

I suggest you pick up a near pair of wraps. I'm a big fan of Titan Support Systems. Give'm a try.

darksidefitness
03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
After 80-85%. which translate about 425lbs plus. outward is my choice to wrap my knees. Just looks easier and feel stronger. Ck Barea's wrap knees video in you tube. Looks great. I'm using some old wraps for the gym and Garage ink monster for competition. Bad azzzz.

babablacksheep
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
What are near wraps sister?

SisterSteel
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
What are near wraps sister?

Damn, auto correct. It was supposed to say knee wraps.

babablacksheep
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Oh I see...yea it happens to me as well fuckin hate it

Ironguruera
03-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Sister thanks for the tip about pull the slack from behind the knee. I was doing this wrong and couldn't figure out why some days they hurt and others they didn't lol.

Do u prefer to start at the top and wrap down or vice versa? Finish inside or outside?

SisterSteel
03-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Sister thanks for the tip about pull the slack from behind the knee. I was doing this wrong and couldn't figure out why some days they hurt and others they didn't lol.

Do u prefer to start at the top and wrap down or vice versa? Finish inside or outside?

A lot of people make that mistake... pulling the wrap down over the knee which is the #1 way to cause A LOT of pain and could potentially cause your knee to track improperly leading to an injury.

I actually start from the top and work my down and than back up. I usually have the wrap finish on the front but that's just my preference. You can have it finish on the side (inside or outside). If it's hard for you to bend over with everything on you'll want to start at the bottom and wrap up. I find this to be the case with more geared lifters. I'm a raw lifter and starting at the top is easy for me so that's where I start my wrap.

One more thing I want to note and it's VERY important. If you wrap outside make sure you wrap BOTH knees outward. If you wrap inward make sure you wrap both inward. I have seen a lot of people in the past wrap one inward and one outward. That's a recipe for an injury.

Ironguruera
03-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Solid advise as always! Really was baffled as to why some days being my knees killed other days the wraps felt fine lol.

SisterSteel
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Solid advise as always! Really was baffled as to why some days being my knees killed other days the wraps felt fine lol.

Just trying to keep everyone safe when they're squatting.

Something else for everyone to consider... if you're squatting and you don't have a spotter you should buy these:

http://www.liftinglarge.com/Spud-Suspension-Straps

I realize that they are $90 but they have saved my ass more than once when I squatted without anyone there to spot me. They work better than pins because you can set it exactly to catch it if you fail and you can get out from under the bar so it doesn't crash on you.

TheRage93
03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
That's exactly what I do normally interestingly enough.

I think this is a sign SisterSteel. Lol jk