PDA

View Full Version : Starting All Over

Ecto
06-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Well since I ain't been to the gym in over a month, because of my new job schedule, i am going to be starting back in the next coming week(s). I think I really need to just focus on strength for a solid 6 months to a year and not worry so much about the hypertrophy aspect of it all. Even though i been liftin for years now, my muscles are still noobie, according to the numbers I'm putting up on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. I think I will just start with something basic as hell, like Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

darksidefitness
06-30-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't think a month will hurt you too bad. I was out for 1.5 month due to a minor abd surgery and when I get back, my muscle didn't even noticed. I took some precautions just in case...but I was fine. My cardio in the other hand sucks more due to inactivity. But did not notice too much dif in strenght. For strength I use Westside technique/training/routines if interest. Good deal down there with Louie & team.

Ecto
06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
......plus i'm going to have a little help from Mr. Test C, so hopefully the strength will return quickly

Shamus3285
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I am in a similar boat. Mr. "P" will be assisting me in the process.

Ecto
07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Since I have had a month off my knees have gotten a break and have healed up. I'm not so sure i should do Squats anymore. I have alot of wear and tear on my knees from all the years i wrestled in school which was 3rd - 12th grade. Now at 41 when i do heavy squats, i can't even bend down without my knees constantly popping. So should i just do away with the squats altogether or just go extremely light and stay toned?????

Manny1983
07-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Since I have had a month off my knees have gotten a break and have healed up. I'm not so sure i should do Squats anymore. I have alot of wear and tear on my knees from all the years i wrestled in school which was 3rd - 12th grade. Now at 41 when i do heavy squats, i can't even bend down without my knees constantly popping. So should i just do away with the squats altogether or just go extremely light and stay toned?????

There are many people that feel that legs get better results in growth when you do higher reps since it will cause a greater amount of Hypertrophy rather than higher weight and less weight.

Right now what I'm doing which you should try because of your knees is pre-exhaust your legs by starting with leg extensions and leg curl making sure that I go nice and controlled and do a quick squeez at the top on both, followed by squats, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts and lunges. I'm not really doing high reps but the effect is that my legs are getting trashed with less weight and stress on my knees since I'm pre-exhausting them. You can do this and go with even lower weight if you want to get higher reps or moderate weight like I'm doing. Also remember your muscles don't know weight they know and respond to the stress aspect of the training.

exphys88
07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
I would recommend continuing squats, just keep the weight low so that there is no pain involved.

zedhed
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey Ecto IMO you are an excellent candidate for learning to do front squats. As said above keep your weight low and you reps at around 12-15.
Most peeps with wear and tear knee issies find front squats to actually be theraputic.
Good luck bro and let us know how it works out for you. Also if you need tips or variations of front squats just post up and ask. Thibs has an excellent vid on variations.

darksidefitness
07-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Are you sure that the pain is in your knees and not estrogen trying to take over? Just checking...:p In a serious note and like zedhed said...front squats can help you brother. There is a website that sell a front squat harness. It's very strong, cheap and you can add some extra pounds without pain in your wrist or front chest.

Ecto
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't feel any pain really. My knees just popped really bad all the time. Like if I basically need to squat down and get something out of the cabinet, something in my knees pops, not just one both. Not to mention i have a torn Meniscus that has never been repaired. But as of now i am healed up, no popping. I think I will try the front squats.....great suggestion!!!!

Jayt
07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Get it goin ECTO! This gettin old shit ain't for you! Glad to hear the work sched is getting workout.

donjob
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Are you sure that the pain is in your knees and not estrogen trying to take over? Just checking...:p In a serious note and like zedhed said...front squats can help you brother. There is a website that sell a front squat harness. It's very strong, cheap and you can add some extra pounds without pain in your wrist or front chest.

you can use lifting straps so there's not so much strain on your wrists. just attach the straps to the bar where your hands wold normally go, now wrap your hands in them use that to stabilize the bar rather than your hands with your wrists bent all the way back.

Bruiser
07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Well since I ain't been to the gym in over a month, because of my new job schedule, i am going to be starting back in the next coming week(s). I think I really need to just focus on strength for a solid 6 months to a year and not worry so much about the hypertrophy aspect of it all. Even though i been liftin for years now, my muscles are still noobie, according to the numbers I'm putting up on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. I think I will just start with something basic as hell, like Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

I'm in the same boat brother. I spent 5 weeks in the hospital with autoimmune pancreatitis and lost over 60 lbs and lost about 100 lbs off all my lifts! It sucks. Now they've got me on corticosteroids for a total of nine f***ing weeks, ughhh. So I can't compete in powerlifting or strongman this year. It's rough. But I'm doing the opposite of you. I can't risk taxing my CNS so I'm doing a bodybuilding type routine. So I'm focusing on hypertrophy and know that the strength will come back with the size. With the help of Drol, Test and Deca of course... :D

zedhed
07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
you can use lifting straps so there's not so much strain on your wrists. just attach the straps to the bar where your hands wold normally go, now wrap your hands in them use that to stabilize the bar rather than your hands with your wrists bent all the way back.

Yup this is exactly how I do em. Way easier on the wrists.

squatzilla
07-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Stick to the basics; you'll be back in no time. Rips program is great.

SPECIALFORCE
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Focusing on compound lifts will build your base and increase strength.

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 12:14 PM
A month off if nothing. Muscle memory is amazing. I took 5 whole years off one time( first ever and last since) just have up bodybuilding to raise a family . Thought that would never happen in a million years. Hadn't missed a workout since I was 15. After starting back training I was back on stage in 6 months and winning the first show I competed in. My coworkers were floored. Most had known I used to workout but I went from a normal looking guy back to stage ready in 6 months.just start light weights and few sets so you won't be crippled by soreness then I gaurentee you'll be back where u were in no time.

Encino_Mang
07-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Focusing on compound lifts will build your base and increase strength.

Sometime time off is good and a month ain't bad....oh and what specialforce says....compound movements are all you need IMO well until your able to move big wights anyway

zedhed
08-13-2012, 11:41 AM
How you doing here guy, what up?

Ecto
08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Everything is going great!!!! I have added 10 lbs to my Bench in 2 weeks, so the Superdrol must be kicking in. I've put on about 5 lbs of weight in 3 weeks. Looking much thicker through my Traps and upper chest. Got about 2 weeks more till Test starts doing it's magic.

layddually
08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Everything is going great!!!! I have added 10 lbs to my Bench in 2 weeks, so the Superdrol must be kicking in. I've put on about 5 lbs of weight in 3 weeks. Looking much thicker through my Traps and upper chest. Got about 2 weeks more till Test starts doing it's magic.

Dam ecto I'm jealous bro I can handle orals like dbol, superdrol.

Ecto
08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
There is just one area of concern, cause I am doing Starting Strength and piling on the weights. I am doing back Squats 3x a week and now my knees are popping when i walk. Would it help to maybe go lighter twice a week and just do say 20 rep squats instead of 5 x 5 heavy weight squats? My knees just can't hack it anymore.

layddually
08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
There is just one area of concern, cause I am doing Starting Strength and piling on the weights. I am doing back Squats 3x a week and now my knees are popping when i walk. Would it help to maybe go lighter twice a week and just do say 20 rep squats instead of 5 x 5 heavy weight squats? My knees just can't hack it anymore.

You should try what I am doing. I am doing the 5x5 but as recommended by zedhed starting super light. It still hurts my knees but the idea isit also strengthens your connective tissue and joints.

Ecto
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
You should try what I am doing. I am doing the 5x5 but as recommended by zedhed starting super light. It still hurts my knees but the idea isit also strengthens your connective tissue and joints.

Sounds good. I will go light.

layddually
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Sounds good. I will go light.

If you have iPhone stronglifts has a 5x5 app that's great.

zedhed
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah bro on these progressive programs you really need to start out very light. In fact so light that it seems dam near ridiculous to you. That way you have tons of room to add weight as your bod adapts to it. BTW popping in your knees is not necessarily a bad thing. If/when you have pain is when you need to consider your options.
But by all means start light and advance your weights steadily.
Good luck bro.