PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 days a week workout routine

Ebo10
03-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Looking for input I want to start training like 3 or 4 days a week. Any suggestions on what to workout together and type of movements to do etc. I need to hit every body part each week.
Thnx

Ironguruera
03-31-2013, 04:25 PM
I find my body responds very well to a 3 day a week program. I have a family and work a lot so time is a rare thing!

I did the 5 day programs as a young buck and didn't grow nearly as well. I also would get burnt out faster on those programs.

I hate doing chest and triceps same day. If I hit triceps 1st I get a shit chest workout and vice versa. I also don't like chest and shoulders together or even the next day so my below routines are setup that way on purpose.

I do chest/biceps

Legs/triceps

Shoulder/back

I do calves, abs, 2 times a week. As u can see I train my entire body in 3 days.

As far as routines its too long to list. I like volume, drop sets, giant sets, supersets. Look at my log for more details.

I try to keep the workouts 1-1.5 hours.

Here's the results of the above. 3 yrs of training. 2 cycles.

chrisotpherm
03-31-2013, 04:42 PM
A lot of folks benefit from 3-4 days a week. I believe when your in initial lift off phase so to speak you have to smash hard. Maybe for a month then switch to a 3-4 day routine. Will allow your body a lot of rest and recomp time. Maybe kaz, fit or sister can chime in on how the BB do it!

red crayon
04-01-2013, 09:59 AM
I will try and help get you started. Maybe someone can post a different Idea.

I would start out with a full body work out 3 days a week. Do the same work out every day. I always recomend starting with legs because that will seperate you from the normal gym rats. A lot of people work their upper body and dont do leg work much because its hard to do. They usually wear long shorts or pants to cover up their bad legs. They look like big chickens.

Squats 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
Dead lifts 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
Flat bench Press 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
Barbell curls 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
Triceps extensions on the high cable machine 8 to 10 reps 3 sets
Set ups 3 sets of 25

This is a good work out to begin with and after about a month to six weeks I would go to a push pull style work out.

Start with a weight that you can get somewhere between 8 to 10 reps on and then increase the weight and begin again.

You didnt say what level your at or How long you have been working out. Thats why I listed a good work out to start with.

AgentYes
04-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Upper/ lower push/pull

SisterSteel
04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Are you training for BBing or PLing? This all makes a difference in the routine/regimen. They are 2 totally different things and are accomplished differently. If BBing I would say 4 and if PLing I would say 3.

BBing:
Mon Quads/Hams
Tue Chest/Tri
Thur Back
Fri Shoulder/Bis

PLing:
Mon Pull
Wed Push
Fri Legs

These are just 2 variations. Again, as for reps, sets, rest time, etc I would need to know what you're looking to accomplish.

Ebo10
04-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Are you training for BBing or PLing? This all makes a difference in the routine/regimen. They are 2 totally different things and are accomplished differently. If BBing I would say 4 and if PLing I would say 3.

BBing:
Mon Quads/Hams
Tue Chest/Tri
Thur Back
Fri Shoulder/Bis

PLing:
Mon Pull
Wed Push
Fri Legs

These are just 2 variations. Again, as for reps, sets, rest time, etc I would need to know what you're looking to accomplish.

Hey sister thnx for taking an interest. Ill give you a lil background cuz I'm interested in what you come up with.
I'm 6' 250lbs 20-25%BF at 30Yrs I have been working out since I was in high school but I have always gone 5to6 days one movement a day. Ive been back to gym for 2 months after being gone from gym for 8 months and I just can't commit that much time anymore. So I need some expert advice how to lose about 30 pounds but keep strength up. The nice thing about 3 days a week is I can get in much needed cardio a lot easier.
Thnx for help

Ironguruera
04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
my program is more bb based. I don't really care how strong I am. Yes I try to continually progress in weight or sets etc but weight its not my main objective.

I would say a fast paced circuit training routine would work great for fat loss.

Weight loss is going to come down to the diet more then anything though.

I don't have much 1st hand experience In powerlifting and caloric burn.
I sometimes wear a chest strap style heart monitor during my workouts. I often burn 800-1200 cals in 1 hour lifting weights. Not sure if that possible with a powerlifting routine as I've never tried. Most pl routines seem to have more rest between sets then how I train so that might be counterproductive if your main goal is fat loss.

Sister is more pl experienced then prob any of us, so she can chime in if a pl routine like red crayon listed above would suit your needs in regards to fat loss.

A bb routine will keep you strong....just not pl strong.

Ebo10
04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
my program is more bb based. I don't really care how strong I am. Yes I try to continually progress in weight or sets etc but weight its not my main objective.

I would say a fast paced circuit training routine would work great for fat loss.

Weight loss is going to come down to the diet more then anything though.

I don't have much 1st hand experience In powerlifting and caloric burn.
I sometimes wear a chest strap style heart monitor during my workouts. I often burn 800-1200 cals in 1 hour lifting weights. Not sure if that possible with a powerlifting routine as I've never tried. Most pl routines seem to have more rest between sets then how I train so that might be counterproductive if your main goal is fat loss.

Sister is more pl experienced then prob any of us, so she can chime in if a pl routine like red crayon listed above would suit your needs in regards to fat loss.

A bb routine will keep you strong....just not pl strong.

I would ultimately like to keep my strength up but PL or BB it honestly doesn't matter much to me. Whatever is gonna work better with my schedule and help to obtain the goal is what I will do. As long as I'm in the gym doing something that works. I feel better look better and overall quality of life is better when I train. Ill try anything whether or not it works for me will be decided by hard work and dedication to an honest attempt at whatever it is to see if truly works. I'm either all in or nothing.

kazman68
04-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Here is my current BB split:

1. Chest/Shoulders/Abs
2. Legs (thighs and calves)
3. Off (cardio if needed)
4. Back/Traps/Abs
5. Arms(bi's & tris)/Calves
6. REST CHEAT DAY
7. Off (cardio if needed)

I think the rest day in the middle of the week does wonders for recovery.

Ebo10
04-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I think I'm gonna go with this routine and see how it goes.

Mon: chest/tri
Tues: cardio
Wed: legs
Thurs: cardio
Fri: back/biceps
Sat:shoulders
Sun:rest

How's that look? I might rest some Thursday and do cardio hard after legs...? Depending how I feel. I notice I don't get as sore after leg day if I do a serious cardio following workout

Fit Guru
04-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Here's what I have all my clients do. Each body part is worked once a week except on Fridays the starting body parts get worked twice. Example::
Mon- chest and tris
Tues-back and bi's
We'd-legs
Third-shoulders and calves
Friday- chest and tri's

Then Monday would be Back and bi's
Tues-legs
And so forth. This is a great way of not over training. I've done this for years

bigcivic
04-02-2013, 03:12 PM
im going to give that i try fit. I've been stuck in a plateau thanx bro

Ebo10
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Here's what I have all my clients do. Each body part is worked once a week except on Fridays the starting body parts get worked twice. Example::
Mon- chest and tris
Tues-back and bi's
We'd-legs
Third-shoulders and calves
Friday- chest and tri's

Then Monday would be Back and bi's
Tues-legs
And so forth. This is a great way of not over training. I've done this for years

Fit that's got my interest brother! I think I might have to try that, depending on whether or not I can make the gym that often throughout the week. Thnx for input tho.. I like it

SisterSteel
04-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I think I'm gonna go with this routine and see how it goes.

Mon: chest/tri
Tues: cardio
Wed: legs
Thurs: cardio
Fri: back/biceps
Sat:shoulders
Sun:rest

How's that look? I might rest some Thursday and do cardio hard after legs...? Depending how I feel. I notice I don't get as sore after leg day if I do a serious cardio following workout

One day in between back and legs isn't much especially if you're planning on deadlifting and squatting.

You'll want to stick with compound movements to burn Kcal while lifting and get your metabolism firing.

And don't forget about your diet. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle you're trying to put together.

red crayon
04-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Like Sister Steel said Your Diet is very Important. That doesnt mean you have to live on rice and fish just eat clean as much as possible. Most people who eat clean try and eat food that hasnt been processed. Or has been processed as little as possible. A good example is an apple. An Apple hasnt been processed but apple sauce has. Also try to stay away from fried foods bake them or microwave them instead. Sugar! In my opinion sugar can kill you so avoid sugar, sucrose or almost anything on the products list of ingridents that ends with . . .ose. it plays hell with your horemone levels and puts your body in a fat storage mode. Yes that includes diet soda!
There are certain times when almost any food will help you reach your goals but to begin with just eat clean, avoid fried foods and sugar.

BigBones
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Ok so... is anyone else thinking what I am thinking? DIET! Recomp is 70% food/diet, 30% aerobic and anaerobics. Get your food straight first and cardio. Fuck trying to find a "good lifting routine" to drop the weight. Its imperative you do lift for ana ssprtment of reasons but your goal is to drop the 30 pounds. You can proceed to clean bulk after, not adding 30 pounds of garbage. :-) People bulk and cut all the time and have 0 clue about how to do this properly.

Ok, down from my pedestal.

And up again, lol. I am a natty BB. I increase near 25+ pounds in the off season and drop about 15 of it when I cut (yes putting on 10+ a year, about .75 pounds a month of muscle all said and done). It's easy as fuck to cut the fat off when you know what your doing/you know you body and macro fit. Find what works for you. I drop it in about 10 weeks give or take a few. Usually less.

My 10 cents. :-)

Imagine using some AAS with the knowledge of what your body wants and needs...

>> BigBones

BigBones
04-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Lol I clearly missed Sisters and Red Crayons posts. Glad we drilled that one home. ;-)

mkbeast
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I do:
Mon - chest/bi
tues - legs
wed - back
thur - shoulders/tri
fri - full body

:)

Ebo10
04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Ok so... is anyone else thinking what I am thinking? DIET! Recomp is 70% food/diet, 30% aerobic and anaerobics. Get your food straight first and cardio. Fuck trying to find a "good lifting routine" to drop the weight. Its imperative you do lift for ana ssprtment of reasons but your goal is to drop the 30 pounds. You can proceed to clean bulk after, not adding 30 pounds of garbage. :-) People bulk and cut all the time and have 0 clue about how to do this properly.

Ok, down from my pedestal.

And up again, lol. I am a natty BB. I increase near 25+ pounds in the off season and drop about 15 of it when I cut (yes putting on 10+ a year, about .75 pounds a month of muscle all said and done). It's easy as fuck to cut the fat off when you know what your doing/you know you body and macro fit. Find what works for you. I drop it in about 10 weeks give or take a few. Usually less.

My 10 cents. :-)

Imagine using some AAS with the knowledge of what your body wants and needs...

>> BigBones

Hey BB was that a scolding or harsh criticism? Lol.. I'm pretty good on my diet bro I'm just switching from a six day a week to 3or4 weight lifting days. Just curious what works for other people so I can incorporate some ideas into my new schedule. Good lookin out tho I know who to MSG if I need to be put in check sometime.

Ebo10
04-03-2013, 12:02 AM
One day in between back and legs isn't much especially if you're planning on deadlifting and squatting.

You'll want to stick with compound movements to burn Kcal while lifting and get your metabolism firing.

And don't forget about your diet. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle you're trying to put together.

Good point I better do legs to start out the week. Back on Friday. Thnx sis

BigBones
04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Lol, yea I was in a pissy mood driving into NYC always pisses me off. Sorry brotha. I'm glad you have your diet in check. Lifting on a diet I prefer a rotating 3 day split over 4 days.

Something like:
Mon - Push
Wed - Pull
Fri - Legs
Sat - Push

Then rotate to Pull on Monday at the top of the next week. I usually switch my lifts every 6-8 weeks dependent on a few factors. Depends on my goals. :-)

>> BB (aka the harsh one or critic :-)

SisterSteel
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Lol, yea I was in a pissy mood driving into NYC always pisses me off. Sorry brotha. I'm glad you have your diet in check. Lifting on a diet I prefer a rotating 3 day split over 4 days.

Something like:
Mon - Push
Wed - Pull
Fri - Legs
Sat - Push

Then rotate to Pull on Monday at the top of the next week. I usually switch my lifts every 6-8 weeks dependent on a few factors. Depends on my goals. :-)

DogCrapp training was like that. There would be a day repeated each week and they would switch each week to.

Ebo10
04-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Something like:
Mon - Push
Wed - Pull
Fri - Legs
Sat - Push

Driving into NYC, I hear you. Getting into SF is something that always gets me. It's all good thnx for the new input too.