PDA

View Full Version : What are your staple lifts and why?

SisterSteel
04-15-2013, 12:19 AM
What are the lifts you build your routine around and why?

Myself, I built my routine around the Back Squat, Front Squat, Standing Overhead Press, Bench, and Conventional Deadlift. It's pretty obvious why for me since I'm a powerlifter/grappler and those lifts compliment the sports I compete in.

red crayon
04-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I think I came from the same gene pool that Pee Wee Herman did, lol. Anyway I build my work out around the compound lifts with a few Olympic Lifts thrown in just for fun.

Compound Lifts = Bench Press, Back Squats, Deadlifts, Seated Military Press, Bent Rows
Olympic Lifts = I like the Clean and Press and Im working on getting the form down on the snatch.

I like these lifts because I can tell that they give me results. They also make you get sore too. Its the Good pain not the bad pain. Really, that kind of Pain Feels good. I like it anyway!

SisterSteel
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Be patient learning the snatch. It takes years to perfect. The snatch is the most technically difficult lift to perform. Red I posted a thread about how to properly perform a snatch. Check it out.

red crayon
04-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks Ms Sister Steel! I hope it turns out like the clean and press did, You dont have to go real heavy to get lots of benifit. Most everyone else in the gym will stop and watch when you do them too.

I saw some of the female lifters at the Arnold warming up doing the snatch lift and it was beautiful. I know that sounds funny but thats what it was.

SisterSteel
04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks Ms Sister Steel! I hope it turns out like the clean and press did, You dont have to go real heavy to get lots of benifit. Most everyone else in the gym will stop and watch when you do them too.

I saw some of the female lifters at the Arnold warming up doing the snatch lift and it was beautiful. I know that sounds funny but thats what it was.

It doesn't sound funny at all. Watching someone perform the classical lifts correctly, especially elite level athletes is a thing of beauty. You'll also never get a sense of accomplishment from ANY other lift like you will from the classical lifts.

red crayon
04-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I agree and the sense of accomplishment is just plain astounding. I get a buzz from it, really.

Whiskey
04-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Just the basics, squat, bench, and standing military/overhead press, whichever you want to call it. Here lately, past couple months, I've really been big on core strength. I want to be able to hold my legs straight out and not quiver. To do the human flag on command, just looks cool to me, a sign of pure strength

Whiskey