PDA

View Full Version : Does your gym allow chalk???

SisterSteel
04-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I am wondering how anyone could train without the use of chalk especially if they don't use wraps. I sweat (yes, I sweat. lol) and without the chalk my grip would fail and I don't use wraps.

Back in the day when I used to train at another gym I would use chalk and the staff would bitch and moan telling me that I was making a mess and this is not professional to use chalk. My solution was to get a chalk bag (from a climbing store) and use that so the mess was minimal.

So who else here uses chalk and does your gym allow it? If they don't do you abide by that rule or do you find a way around it?

Encino_Mang
04-22-2013, 09:28 PM
10 years ago yes we had a PL club and the gym endorsed us......the girl running the place left and so did the chalk stands :(

babablacksheep
04-22-2013, 09:55 PM
No chalk allowed....but I use it carefully from time to time

SisterSteel
04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
10 years ago yes we had a PL club and the gym endorsed us......the girl running the place left and so did the chalk stands :(

That sucks ass. See how great things are when a woman is running things, lol.

No chalk allowed....but I use it carefully from time to time

NICE. You can always use liquid chalk if you need to use it more often. It's not messy and so it's easy to use.

Mattingly
04-22-2013, 10:54 PM
My gym strongly encourages chalk. Of course, it is my home gym in my garage. ;-) it gets very warm in there some nights and I absolutely have to use the chalk.

NTL
04-23-2013, 03:24 AM
One does one doesn't. I just deadlift at the one that does.

zedhed
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Its totally pathetic that gyms with weights dont allow the use of chalk. Maybe there be the threat of a lawsuit from an injury involving a heavy ass bar of weights that slipped cuz of no chalk....nah thats not politically correct now is it...

SisterSteel
04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
My gym strongly encourages chalk.............

Nice. That's what a lot of strength athletes do. They get together, pool their money, and buy the equipment they need so they don't have to put up with bullshit rules.

twist84
04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Nice. That's what a lot of strength athletes do. They get together, pool their money, and buy the equipment they need so they don't have to put up with bullshit rules.

I wish I could use chalk, but I've just learned to use the hook grip, which works pretty good, once you get it down.

Ebo10
04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Try a rosin bag like pitchers use in baseball! You don't have to bounce the shit out of it and get it everywhere to get the job done.

SisterSteel
04-23-2013, 10:17 PM
I wish I could use chalk, but I've just learned to use the hook grip, which works pretty good, once you get it down.

Try using chalk with the hook grip and it'll work even better. I only pull using a hook grip. It's mechanically superior to the over/under mixed grip.