PDA

View Full Version : The Snatch Pull...

SisterSteel
04-29-2013, 12:40 AM
I made mention of this movement, the Snatch Pull, so I decided I would make a thread explaining it.

Snatch Pulls
This movement is much alike a wide gripped deadlift where you get the brush at the hip (bar hits hip region) and shrug high and hard at the top of the movement. This exercise works your legs, lower back, biceps, and of course your traps and upper back girdle. This exercise isn't nearly as technical as the Squat Snatch or Power Snatch.

Execution:

-Position a weighted barbell on the ground. Squat down and grasp the barbell with the hands in a pronated position (palms down) using a hook grip, spaced apart much wider than shoulder-width. If you are using a barbell only or light weights, start with the barbell at midshin level.

-Pull against the bar so that the arms are straight and the low back is flat or slightly arched. You will lean forward slightly, but distribute your weight evenly on the feet. Inhale.

-Lift the bar off the floor by forcefully extending the knees and hips. Keep the shoulders in front of the bar and keep the bar close to the shins. Do not let the hips rise faster than the shoulders.

-Just after the bar passes the knees, drive the hips forward (getting the brush at the hips)

-After the brush explosively extend and shrug the shoulders, keeping the arms straight.

-Lower the bar to the ground in the reverse order of that you lifted it in.

In a nutshell you will be wide grip deadlifting with a brush at the hips and than shrugging like hell.

Give this try because it builds speed and also it'll help build monstrous traps.

babablacksheep
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna try this one sis....I hate sitting around and shrugging so if I can get 2 exersises out of one its worth it in my book

any1uno
04-29-2013, 03:23 PM
nice description Ms Steele. I use to do these a few years ago. It helps to be coordinated too!

SisterSteel
04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Here's a video of Misha K. performing a Snatch Pull. This will help you visualize what I wrote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1nocDpf7zU