PDA

View Full Version : 7 Deadlift Variations...

SisterSteel
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
No matter what you read about the exercise being "bad for your back," or people saying that you "shouldn't deadlift heavy" for whatever stupid reason they come up with... if you want results, you should be deadlifting.

Snatch-Grip Deadlift
I think the snatch-grip deadlift is one of the most underrated exercises in the world. Snatch-grip deads force you into a lower position, which requires more work from the entire back, hamstrings, and glutes. Whenever the hamstrings are more involved in an exercise, you're building major leg strength. If your hams are weak, forget about being fast. If you want to get stronger and everyone should be then the snatch-grip deadlift is the solution.

I've also found it to be an outstanding indicator exercise. Basically, whenever someone's snatch-grip deadlift goes up, so does their other deadlift variations and squats. Whenever you can significantly increase the strength in your hams, especially from a "stretched" position like with snatch-grip deads, all of your leg exercises will blow up.

The How To:
Step up to the bar with feet about hip-width apart, just like you'd normally deadlift, but place your hands much further out on the bar. Basically, go as wide as you're comfortable going, but don't fret too much about it. Because of the wider grip, you'll be in a starting position that's lower than you're used to, and it may feel a bit awkward. Don't panic, you'll get used to it.

The snatch-grip deadlift is great for max effort strength-building work and for multiple sets of low reps. They should be done first in your workout as you don't want to do these with a pre-fatigued lower back! If your legs and back need a boost, try this for three or four weeks, and then switch to another squat or deadlift variation.

Sumo Deadlift
For some powerlifters, the sumo deadlift is an "easier" way to use more weight because of the shortened range of motion. For others, it just fits their body type and allows them to lift heavier. Either way, you don't have to be a powerlifter to benefit from sumos! The sumo deadlift will focus even more on your glutes and hips than conventional (closer-stance) deadlifts. The ultra-wide foot position forces you to really sit back during your pull, which hits your inner thighs, hips, and glutes in a very unique way.

The How To:
Stand with the bar about two-inches from your shins with your feet as wide apart as is comfortable. Point your toes outwards to decrease knee stress. Grab the bar with a mixed grip (one hand palm up, one palm down). Now, rip that bar off the ground!

Clean Pull
A clean-style deadlift or clean pull will be set-up much like a power clean, except that you only pull the bar to waist-height and shrug your shoulders up. I'm reluctant to recommend this lift to someone looking to raise their deadlift for competition because, much like when doing the Olympic lifts, the shoulders will be over the bar rather than behind it. This can hinder their technique in the powerlifting-style deadlift if you're not careful, but there's a way around the problem. I'll have athletes perform clean pulls rather than clean-style deadlifts. A clean pull is a much faster version of the clean-style deadlift. Because of the increased speed, less weight is on the bar, so you can keep your shoulders behind the bar and not worry about missing the lift.

The How To:
Start with the bar close to the shins, in a comfortable stance with both hands in a palms-down grip. Begin lifting off the floor slowly, then, as the bar reaches the mid-shin or just below knee-level, explode the weight up to complete the lift. Clean pull, approaching midpoint. Notice that the explosiveness almost brings both feet off the ground!

Romanian Deadlift
The Romanian deadlifts (RDL) may be one of the most underrated exercises in the iron game. They're misunderstood and often thought of as a "simple" accessory Olympic lift, but the people who've focused on them appreciate the power of the RDL. For lifters with long torsos and fairly short legs, the RDL is far superior to other pulling movements when it comes to focusing on the glutes and hamstrings. While the straight-leg deadlift is often suggested for these areas, people with this body type end up putting most of the stress on the lower back, while the glutes and hams are mostly ignored.

Because the hams respond well to low reps and accentuated negatives, you can use the RDL as a main leg movement, but don't be afraid to use it as a supplementary exercise for moderate reps (in the 6-10 range).

I suggest rotating this movement into your routine for three weeks on, and then three weeks off. I don't normally recommend doing any one exercise so often, but this is a critical movement.

Straight-Leg Deadlift
The straight-leg deadlift is an excellent variation for those who need to bring their lower backs and hamstrings up to par. While I feel that the Romanian deadlift is a more effective hamstring builder for most people, especially those with long torsos, the straight-leg deadlift is still a great exercise. The name of the exercise is a bit confusing, however. You don't actually keep your legs locked "straight." Keep a slight bend at the knees to prevent injuries. Stick to "traditional," higher reps on straight-leg deadlifts, 3-4x8-12 done after your main leg movement for the day.

While RDLs can be used as a max effort, strength-building movement, I'd advise against using straight-leg deadlifts the same way. Keep them as an accessory lift in your leg training toolbox.

The How To:
Many people get confused by the difference between a straight-leg deadlift and a Romanian deadlift, however, there's one distinction that makes a world of difference. In the straight-leg deadlift, you perform a rep by bending over at the hips. With a Romanian deadlift, you push the hips back to produce the movement. There are two standard options when it comes to increasing the range of motion (ROM) on both exercises. You can stand on a box or you can load the barbell with 25-pound plates instead of 45's. (You are deadlifting more than 135 pounds, right?)

Between the two, it's preferable to use 25's because this will increase ROM without altering form. When you're on a box, you may get distracted worrying about balance. You might have even seen people doing these while standing on a flat bench, but this is big-time overkill!

Jefferson Lift
I'll warn you now: This one will get you some stares in the gym (as if you're not used to that already). It's an old-time movement, but it's still useful today. The Jefferson lift is actually more of a squat variation than a true deadlift variation, but if your inner thighs need work, the Jefferson lift will be right up your alley. In addition to working the hell out of your thighs, the Jefferson lift will force your abs and back to work extremely hard to stabilize the load. Use the Jefferson on days where you're not quite up to doing all-out squats or deadlifts, but don't want to punk out and skip serious work. This can be done for medium to high reps in the 5-10 range.

The How To:
Straddle the lengthwise bar with one foot on either side. Put one hand in front of you and one behind you, squat down, grip the bar and pull/squat up.

Trap Bar Deadlift
The Trap Bar Deadlift has fallen a bit out of favor in the strength training community in the last few years. This is based on the (mistaken) assumption that trap bar deadlifts are ineffective because they don't hit the posterior chain hard enough. First of all, with all the deadlifting, box squatting, sprinting, and Olympic lifting that most athletes already do, their posterior chain is worked plenty. Secondly, while the trap bar deadlift may technically be a "squat accessory," that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing! This style of deadlift (or really, like the Jefferson lift, it's a variation of a squat) is especially helpful to those who have recurring back problems. Because of the hand placement, much of the stress is taken off the lower back and shifted elsewhere. This is great when you have a sore or injured lower back.

The How To:
Stand in the center of the trap bar (you'll probably have to keep a fairly narrow stance), grip the handles, and rise up. Just because your hands are at your sides, remember to think of it as a deadlift. Keep your back flat and don't straighten your legs too soon.

Pointers for All Deadlifts
-Sit back! Don't just squat the weight up let your hamstrings, glutes, and back do the work.
-Keep your shoulders behind the bar. This goes hand-in-hand with sitting back during the pull.
-Instead of thinking of "pulling the bar up," use your hands as vices and picture pushing your feet through the floor. Whenever I see someone using their biceps during a deadlift (which is extremely dangerous), I know they're thinking of pulling.
-Think of yourself as a see-saw. Let your bodyweight "lean back" and take that weight off the bar.

Mattingly
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Nice info Sister! Sumo and Trap Bar DL's are my current favorites!!