PDA

View Full Version : Pick my new training appart and give me your guys opinion!

AsapMitch
05-11-2013, 02:49 PM
First of all i take no credit for the following post i found it on bodybuilding.com forum !
~3 on / 1 off

Day 1 : Chest/Arms

-Flat Barbell Bench 3x6-8 (i perform Incline Bench)
-Incline Dumbbell Bench 3x6-8 (Reverse Bench)
-Flat Dumbbell Flye 3x8-10 (Incline Bench)
-Dips 3x10-12
* Cable Crossover performed every 2nd-3rd session *

-Barbell Curl 3x6-8 / Lying French Press 3x6-8
-Incline Dumbbell Curl 3x8-10 / Tricep Pressdown 3x10-12
-Preacher Curl 3x8-10/ Overhead Extension 3x8-10

Workout Duration : Approximately 45-60 minutes

Day 2 : Legs/Calves

-Back Squats 3x6-8 (alternate with Front Squats)
-Leg Press 3x8-10
-Leg Extension 3x10-12
-Romanian Deadlift 3x6-8
* Leg Curls performed every 2nd-3rd session *

-Calf Press 3x15-20
-Standing Calf Raise 3x15-20
-Seated Calf Raise 3x6-10

Workout Duration : Approximately 40-50 minutes

Day 3 : Back/Delts

-Barbell Row 3x6-8
-Lat Pulldown 3x10-12
-Cable Row 3x8-10
-TBAR Row 3x6-8 (Dumbbell Row if heavy enough DB's)
* Shrugs performed every 2nd-3rd session *

-Military Press 3x6-8
-Side Lateral / Rear Lateral 3x8-10
-Upright Row 3x6-8

*Face Pulls performed @ end for shoulder health

Workout Duration : 45-60 minutes

Rest time: 1minute,30seconds - 2 minutes for the Power Movements on each body part; ie:
Incline Barbell,Front Squats,Barbell Row,Barbell Curl,Lying French Press,Military Press,etc.

Rest time: 45 seconds - 1 minute for the Isolation & Hypertrophy Movements on each body part;ie :
Incline Dumbbell Curl, Dumbbell Flye, Cable Row, Tricep Pushdown, etc.

Rep Range: You want to stay in 6-10 for mass on most movements. It's acceptable to use higher reps on movements such as Leg Press,Leg Extension,Tricep Pressdowns going up to about 12-15; occasional widowmakers are permitted but try to just lift HEAVY , Controlled, and up the weight if you can get over 10 reps. A nice method is you use your 10 rep maximum, then continue using the same weight on the next sets, as this will make your sets look like 10-8-then 7/6 reps which will put you in the desired rep range. The following workout if you up the weight, you will most likely get something like 9/7/6 and you can keep working on the weight until you feel comfortable using it for 10. The same applies to the lower rep power emphasized exercises.

It is ok to go down to the 4-5 rep range on the Foundation Power Movements, but it is highly advised that you have a spotter with you that will help you get some forced reps in to get at least 6 reps on each movement; you can also simply just drop the weight really quickly and continue getting some reps. Remember, we are looking to maximize the potential for size gains on this routine; 6-10 should really be your foundation. It's fine to go rather heavy without sacrificing form or opening up the room to injury in the ~4-5 rep range, but have a spotter assist you with some forced reps after!

Why do this 3on/1off ? : Well because Lee Haney(8X Mr.Olympia) did it, thus that means it's the best... lol not srs,srs,not srs,semi-srs.

But this is the real reason why IMHO this is the superior 3 on - 1 off programming...

#1. Chest should be trained with Triceps to avoid overtraining them on this kind of frequency; anecdotally when people do Triceps 24-36 hours before Chest in high volume training,their bench will suffer or the recovery will not be adequate. (An example is the Chest/Back,Legs,Delts/Arms,Off routine) However, this allows one to train Chest & triceps together, while ALSO..

#2. Allowing you to train Back separately from Biceps. Too many people complain about how their biceps don't grow, and they need to "emphasize" them when they are not weakened by prior back training. This is different from Tricep training, as Chest->Tricep seems to tie in together MUCH better than Back to Biceps does. Focus on your guns separately from your back!

#3. Training Legs the day before back day allows for heavier poundages, and not being limited by weak stability or scorched erectors. You are more susceptible to injury having a fatigued back before training legs; the vice versa is much safer and you are not looking to train your erectors on back day anyways - rather it is more lat/trap/rhomboid/teres emphasis.

#4. Keeping Press frequency high seems to be key in adding poundages quickly to your pushing muscles. As discussed earlier, triceps unfortunately don't recover as fast which is why we had them placed on the same day as Chest; since we are planning to train them twice in a week. However, the minimal tricep stimulation received by only performing 1 press on Shoulder day will allow for adequate recovery two days later when Chest is trained. Shoulders also have a faster recovery rate ; especially since our primary focus on the Deltoid training day is to hit the Side & Rear Deltoids with only one press movement being done. Front Deltoids will receive far more than an adequate amount of stimulus on two separate days - on Chest day where they are being absolutely pummeled; especially with all the Incline emphasis - followed by Back/Deltoid day where the Military Press/Upright Row/Laterals are being performed; all of which stimulate the front deltoids(especially exercise #1). We can continue having high press frequency, WITHOUT letting our poundages suffer, and allowing adequate recovery. Too often we hear of people complaining about their lack of pressing strength; legs and back seem to progress just fine being trained every ~3-4 days or more. Pressing should be done more often.

#5 - Having Chest and Shoulder day separate is always a plus. Now we can focus solely on Bench one day, and pure Press another day; while CONTINUING 2x a week frequency and no overlap. How many times have you been angry that your Press goes down the toilet as soon as you do a Bench before it on a "Push Day"? But then you realize that logically you SHOULD be doing the benching first, so there really isn't much you can do about unless you make it a 4on/1off to put them on separate days or some other options. Look no more fellow shoulder geeks; you now have the chance to go ALL OUT on both Bench and Press SEPARATELY in 3 days ! and BREAK PR'S while being fresh. There are many more reasons....these were just a select [5].

I guarantee anybody who goes on this type of programming consistently,eats lots of protein,and stays consistent for even 3 months will see major changes both in size and strength. Already know several people in person that have been doing this for a while, one of which recently went from a 195 pound to 218 pound bodyweight, with minimal fat gain, and is tipping ~18 inches on his arms naturally.

All and all, my point is this is the GOAT (or one of the GOATs)

Have fun, and yes I believe 3on/1off is the most optimal training program for bodybuilding. ^ ^ . 72 hours is perfect before training a muscle; and helps keep people consistent on a 2x a week frequency. People get burned out going 6 days in a row on 6on/1off's, and most people simply find their performance and growth significantly better with an offday after the third day. Seemed to work for the following people..~

As i said this was taken from Bodybuilding.com forum and all credit goes to user: DerekET
Have Fun ripping her a new one boys !

zedhed
05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Leg extensions IMO are THE very worst excersize that you can do. You WILL fuck your knees doing them. Replace with Front Squats. This has been studied and loads of papers have been written.

babablacksheep
05-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Extensions are very hard on the knees....I do them super light ans high plume just to get blood in muscle....but he's right your knees were not made to have tension placed on them in that way....heavy squatting is a much better choice for the knees

AsapMitch
05-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks guy i'll take that into consideration! I think i might keep them but just light to get the blood pumping like you!

SisterSteel
05-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I don't want to come off as rude but this looks like nothing more than some workout that was copied and pasted from some stupid magizine. It's not something you want to follow imho. I'll give you my .02 on it.

Chest:
It has 1 movement for triceps and 3 for biceps. Your tricep is 2/3 your arm and you're neglecting your triceps.

Back:
Why no traditional deadlifts? There is no better mass builder and it will thicken your back up like no other. There are 4 different rowing movements in this program. Remember MORE ISN'T better. Pick 2 and than rotate the others in. You're also not doing anything for your lower back.

Legs:
First I think the layout isn't the best. Legs and than back? Not a sound idea. You should have a at least 1 day in between them and I'd suggest 2 days. There's no need for leg presses. You're already performing back squats. Ditch the leg extensions and learn how ot front squat. I have a thread with everything you need to know about it on here. Do more for your hammies than RDL's. Put some Lunges in there.

I personally think people put to much stock in what they read in the magizines and forget that none of the bber's mentioned in those articles actually follow the routines that are posted. It's a selling gimmick and unfortauntely many people fall for it.

I'd do something more like a 4x week training program where it's 3 days and the 4 is a repeat of one of the days so you work 1 group 2x week and each week it changes. You also don't want to neglect rest. You grow outside of the gym and not in it so spending more time in the gym isn't always the answer. And lastly, don't forget to eat. IF you want to grow you have to eat. Food is the most anabolic substance you can put in your body.

red crayon
05-18-2013, 11:31 AM
I hate to do it but Im gonna have to defend the magazines. I always talk to the pro bodybuilders whenever I get a chance to, I have seen several at the Arnold. They all said that they gave the magazines their current work out to print but that isnt the work out they used to gain their size. Its what they use to keep their size, big difference. Most of them also said that the articles were ghost written from some notes that they submitted. Being a pro is a full time job and they just didnt have the time to do all that wrighting.
I think that the magazines are a good place to start when you are a beginer but thats about it. I have three that I read all the time and often I will pick up some useful information. I dont follow the information or work outs in them word for word, I quit doing that many years ago. If you live in a small town like me they are a good place to start but thats about it.
Sister Steel is right about the work out! Id follow her advice. Compound exercises, Isolation exercises and then pumping exercises. Thats a good model for a body building work out. Oh also eat big to get big and dont forget to rest, your body does most of its growing while you sleep.