PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting Shoes 101...

SisterSteel
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Ever thought about the shoes that you wear to the gym? Of course you have. You've actually spent some time thinking about which shoes to wear, and you probably have a pair designated as your 'gym shoes'. How did those shoes earn that illustrious title and serve such a noble purpose? Suitability for the task? Performance enhancement? Safety? Not usually. Comfort and looks seem to be the main criteria associated with gym shoe choice. This is a problem if your training includes any free weights at all. While this may be obvious to some, many of us will make a poor footwear decision and wear running shoes to the gym to lift weights.

Proper footwear in the gym is important, especially if you are lifting free weights. When we lift weights we want two things to happen: (1) all the force our body produces under the bar should contribute to moving the weight and (2) the weight needs to be controlled in a safe manner. If we lift in a running shoe, it's akin to trying to lift while standing on a giant marshmallow. The soles of the running shoes, the marshmallow, will absorb and dissipate a large amount of the force generated against the floor that should be directed towards moving the weight. A gel or air cell shoe is a great thing for reducing the impact shock that causes the repetitive use injuries associated with running. But in the weight room, shoes should provide for the efficient transmission of power between the bar and the ground. You can't lift as much weight in the wrong shoes.

The second issue is control of the weight - and your body - while standing on an unstable surface. A compressible medium placed between the feet and the ground will behave inconsistently enough during each rep to alter the pattern of force transmission every time. This means that the subtle points of consistent good technique on any standing exercise are impossible to control. And there is an increased chance for a balance or stability loss-induced injury while lifting heavy weights, since perfect balance cannot be assured on an imperfect surface.

Weightlifters and powerlifters have known this for more than 50 years, although the shoe choices available for their purposes were formerly quite limited. Until the 1970's, combat boots, Chuck Taylor's, and even patent leather oxfords (see old photos of Paul Anderson) were the shoes used for lifting weights. To be stable and perform optimally, a weightlifting shoe needs to be snug fitting, provide exceptional support, and have a noncompressible wedge sole with neoprene or crepe for traction against the floor. Most will lace all the way down to the toe for adjustment to individual foot width, and will have an adjustable strap across the metatarsal area for added lateral stability.

Another pair of shoes to buy? Is it really worth it? Yes. Effective training yields superior results. Safe training yields fewer training injuries. The logic is inescapable. For as little as $40 for a pair of old-school Chuck Taylor's or as much as $200 for the state of the art Adidas shoe, you can have the right shoe for the right job. The right shoe is important for performance and safety, and for as little as half the cost of a premium running shoe, you can look and lift like a pro.

NTL
05-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Chuck Taylor's my shoe of choice.

SFDan
05-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Chucky T's for me.

SisterSteel
05-12-2013, 04:40 PM
If you like Chuck's just wait a little because Reebok will be releasing a powerlifting shoe and it should be good.

Manny1983
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
When I lift at home I lift barefoot

babablacksheep
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I just use Adidas Samba...good flat shoe that keeps you close to the ground

SisterSteel
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
When I lift at home I lift barefoot

Squatting with shoes will make it easier to hit depth and sit back.

Manny1983
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Squatting with shoes will make it easier to hit depth and sit back.

I wear chucks when I go to the gym but I don't find shoes comfortable and my feet ache so at home I go barefoot but I know what you mean Love

SisterSteel
05-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I wear chucks when I go to the gym but I don't find shoes comfortable and my feet ache so at home I go barefoot but I know what you mean Love

If you squat with a medium stance you may want to try squatting with a shoe that has a slight heel on it.

Manny1983
05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
If you squat with a medium stance you may want to try squatting with a shoe with a slight heel on it.

Mind suggesting something Sis? I usually squat just outside shoulder width

SisterSteel
05-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Mind suggesting something Sis? I usually squat just outside shoulder width

I'd suggest an Olympic weightlifting shoe because it has the slight heel on it and the sole is made from material that will not compress under any circumstance. That means a greater transfer of enegry when you squat.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/

The Adidas Power Perfect II Shoe would be what I suggest. They'll also last forever if you only wear them in the gym.

Manny1983
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I'd suggest an Olympic weightlifting shoe because it has the slight heel on it and the sole is made from material that will not compress under any circumstance. That means a greater transfer of enegry when you squat.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/

The Adidas Power Perfect II Shoe would be what I suggest. They'll also last forever if you only wear them in the gym.

Thanks Sis I just checked them out I might pick them up on payday

red crayon
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Awhile back I was searching for some equipment to help with my lifting in the gym, I have found the information I recieved on this Forum to be of great help. Shoes? That was a question I couldnt find an answer to so I looked on the internet and came across this site: http://wlshoes.com/review/adidas-power-perfect-2/
I hope it helps. I try and help you guys as much as you help me!

chrisotpherm
05-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Chuck Taylor's my shoe of choice.

Same here. Love them!