PDA

View Full Version : 5x5?

Layddually2
05-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Here in a week or two my nephew will be working out with me. He is 14 this year and going into football and powerlifting next year. He wants to loose weight and put on size and strength too. I told him that's going to be difficult. But here is what I'm thinking. 5x5 + bb finish work ( going to use some of westside principles) then after work we will be doing insanity. I'm going to start him at 3000 cals shoot for 200g protein carbs and fat not sure yet. He is about 5' and 160lbs. And suggestions or changes etc is very welcome. I only have this summer to work with him. So roughly 12 weeks.

chrisotpherm
05-27-2013, 09:30 AM
has he been working out at all? Going right into a 5x5 can be kind of strenuous right out the gate.

Layddually2
05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
We did last summer, then football, then wrestling, and he has been working out in school.

chrisotpherm
05-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Well 5x5 will put some serious size on him for sure. What is the purpose behind the insanity at the end of the workouts? Those session are crazy fat burners and even worse on muscle atrophy. If he is trying to put on size I would just smash 5x5 routine and have him doing cardio no more than 3xweek to minimize muscle atrophy and maximize growth IMO.

SisterSteel
05-27-2013, 10:43 AM
For someone who is new to lifting, meaning they haven't followed a regimented program he will be able to still make gains as he drops some weight.

When you say WSBB you're referring to a DE Day and a ME Day. He's not ready for that. WSBB isn't a beginner program. 5x5 is a great program for him to build his base with.

Instead of insanity whatever... I'd have him push/pull a prowler. It's MUCH better for him developmentally.

Layddually2
05-27-2013, 11:02 AM
This is why I ask for opinions I wasn't thinking about it being to much. The biggest problem is he wants to have abs and be bigger but he is about 30lbs over weight. I have never had that much belly fat so it's hard for me to know what to do here. And I'm on cal deficit right now and can't even think about anything but food, I'm shaking right now.

Layddually2
05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I tried to tell him lets make you bigger now and worry about fat loss later

zedhed
05-27-2013, 11:10 AM
I think that Chris and Sis have given you a good start here bro. Good to see that you ask for opines, its the best way to gain from the knowledge base on here which is awesome.

chrisotpherm
05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
I tried to tell him lets make you bigger now and worry about fat loss later

Trust me once training camp starts up for football he is going to drop mad weight. LOL.

Layddually2
05-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Trust me once training camp starts up for football he is going to drop mad weight. LOL.

Haha that's right I forgot about 2 a days. And it will be 110 here lol.

chrisotpherm
05-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Lol.

Alexis
06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Well that's cool that you have decided something like that,It can make them very strong and in fact healthy in young age.
Because nowadays kids aren't into physical activities much if they are gonna do that they can surely be safe from obesity and stuff like that.

Alexis
06-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Well that's cool that you have decided something like that,It can make them very strong and in fact healthy in young age.
Because nowadays kids aren't into physical activities much if they are gonna do that they can surely be safe from obesity and stuff like that.

Any comments?

web based practice management software (http://www.emrnews.com/)

Layddually2
06-25-2013, 09:08 PM
We have been going at this a few weeks. We have done some one rep maxes as well to see where we at. He benched 155 his body weight, 305 squat. I finally benched over 300 the shoulder is such a pain.

zedhed
06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Feel for you with that should bro. I dont bench at all any more. Do incline flys and flat flys.
Also floor presses with arms at 45° from bod. It has taken about a year but can do those in comfort now.
Good luck bro.

Layddually2
06-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Db flys hurt even more. I hope some day I can get it fixed but just have to suck it up till then.

kazman68
06-26-2013, 06:50 PM
For someone who is new to lifting, meaning they haven't followed a regimented program he will be able to still make gains as he drops some weight.

When you say WSBB you're referring to a DE Day and a ME Day. He's not ready for that. WSBB isn't a beginner program. 5x5 is a great program for him to build his base with.

Instead of insanity whatever... I'd have him push/pull a prowler. It's MUCH better for him developmentally.

I remember someone asking Dave Tate about the prowler and he said something to the effect " I hate that fucking thing" I heard it's brutal, Tate said he puked all over the football field they were using it at, and Sister is right that would be a great addition for someone conditioning for football.

Layddually2
06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
I remember someone asking Dave Tate about the prowler and he said something to the effect " I hate that fucking thing" I heard it's brutal, Tate said he puked all over the football field they were using it at, and Sister is right that would be a great addition for someone conditioning for football.

The little fucker won a bet with me so I had to buy him one. I bet him he couldn't squat 305 and he did.