PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling 101...

SisterSteel
06-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Carb Cycling 101........

Losing weight is simple. Most people know that burning more calories than we consume will lead to a decrease in scale weight. Just about anybody who tries it will be rewarded with moderate, short-term success.

Here's something fun to think about: Next time you're in your gym — or any place where people who care about their appearance tend to gather — take a close look at the ones who, in your estimation, need to lose some fat. Now try to figure out how many of them are currently enjoying the moderate, short-term success of eating less and exercising more. Chances are, at least a few of them are 10 to 20 pounds lighter than they were a few months ago. And still clearly overweight.

So those of us in search of more than "moderate" success need a better way to lose a lot of fat without sacrificing muscle, or to stay lean while adding size and building strength.

Which brings us to carb cycling......

Most of us eat pretty much the same way every day — similar foods, similar amounts, similar timing. Other than post-workout shakes and cheat meals here and there, it would be hard to distinguish one day from another in terms of macronutrients and calories.
Here's the idea behind carb cycling: "By fluctuating macronutrients on a daily basis, we can ensure that performance and muscle building can be optimized on the days when it's most important, while burning fat on the other days."

This applies to virtually everyone who trains hard, from gym rats to competitive lifters and bodybuilders to athletes in just about any sport that's more physically demanding than a spelling bee. There are always training days that take more out of you than others. If you never vary your daily calories or macros, you end up overfeeding yourself on the days you're either resting or training light, and perhaps eating too little on the days you train the hardest. For most of us, the damage goes one direction: We eat to support our hardest workouts, meaning we overeat on the other days. Intentionally or not, a lot of us are in a perpetual bulking cycle. Over time, we end up with excess body fat, which many of us try to take off all at once during a cutting phase.

Carb cycling, when you get it right, gives you the best of both worlds and the worst of neither. You fuel your body on the brutal training days that would ordinarily suck the life out of you, but treat your body as if it's in a cutting phase on the days you don't need excess energy.

"High days," in which you're giving your body all the carbs it can handle, refill your glycogen stores and promote an anabolic environment.

"Medium days" allow you to maintain your glycogen levels with fewer total calories. You'll have enough carbs to fuel your workout and prevent tissue breakdown, but not enough to be highly anabolic.

"Low days" are ideal for the days you do cardio only, or don't train at all. Your body, with its low insulin levels, will be primed for burning fat. With fewer carbs, you'll be eating more fat, which benefits hormone production and helps keep your body sensitive to insulin on the medium and high days.

That's the general idea. Here are some specifics:

MEN
High day
Carbs: 2-3 grams per pound of body weight
Protein: 1-1.25 grams per pound of body weight
Fat: as little as possible

Low and Moderate days
Carbs: 0.5-1.5 grams per pound of body weight
Protein: 1.25-1.5 grams per pound of body weight
Fat: 0.15-0.35 grams per pound of body weight

WOMEN
High Day
Carbs: 0.9-1.0 grams per pound of body weight
Protein: 0.75 grams per pound of body weight
Fat: as little as possible

Low and Moderate days
Carbs: 0.2-0.5 grams per pound of body weight
Protein: 0.9-1.0 grams per pound of body weight
Fat: 0.1-0.2 grams per pound of body weight

Focus on What Matters.......
Just looking at the basics, your first thought might be, "That looks really fucking complicated."
It's not as difficult as you may think. Try to stay as close to the numbers as you can but don't stress over it. There aren't any foods that are exactly what you want to the Kcal and the ones that would be are highly processed and we want to stay away from those.

So how do you know if it's working? Take pictures every 2 weeks the same way and you'll be able to see for yourself that it is in fact working.

One last thing to mention is the numbers given here are ranges so you'll have to play with them a bit to get it exact but with a little time and tweaking you'll discover the numbers that are right for your body.

chrisotpherm
06-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Phenomenal post sister!!!

chrisotpherm
06-14-2013, 01:59 PM
I made this a sticky.

SisterSteel
06-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Glad you like it. I've had quite a few people PM me asking questions about carb cycling so I thought I'd post something that could be used as a template for everyone.

Just remember these numbers are ranges so you may have to play with them a bit to get everything dialed in. This is why I always say everyone should keep a journal. That makes it very easy to keep track of results.

chrisotpherm
06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Again you are an amazing and loving person to take time out to help again and again!!!

MuscleAddiction
06-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you Sis ;)...you keep me thinking in the right direction with your educational posts!

KingMD
06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Damn I'm still learnin new things here...never thought of sumthn like this..very interesting and informative info here..another concept for me to try out!

SisterSteel
06-20-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm glad my threads are helping everyone. Give cycling a try if you haven't before and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. This layout will keep your muscles full and keep your strength all while dopping bf%'s.

KingMD
06-21-2013, 02:11 AM
They definately help..and give options...I'm gna do my best to incorporate this stradegy into my next cycle.. (I knw I can now but gna give a SERIOUS try during cycle and post comin up)

babablacksheep
06-21-2013, 02:39 AM
I have never tried carbs cycling before.... It sounds like something that would be cool to try in the future....

Lunchbox
06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Carb Cycling is what my nutritionist had me on when I dropped all my weight. Mixed in with some overload days and keto jumpstart weeks.

NYJACK
08-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Nyjack here, been a while, yes I know, been a roller coaster for me, but anyways I've just got a question for this thread, I didn't check how old it was but I've wanted to do this for a long time, n I'm priming for my return rite now, n I figure at my age (43) n the fact I've been limited to calisthenics last few (behind the neck pull ups have kept my back rite lol) mos, I need to attack this with disciplined diet, hard training I got.
I usually am on 3 days a wk, sum times 4 depending if I feel recovered, chest n back bis n tris shoulders n deadlifts or squats, always aiming for lo reps, that's the days off thing for recovery. Until I started this a few YRS back I was really stuck,I read mike Mentzer philosophy n he advocates much more rest than that, but come on huh? Lol, I'm wondering this:
Days on: hi carbs
Day after: moderate carbs 4 recovery?
2nd consecutive day off: low ca

NYJACK
08-16-2014, 09:38 PM
2nd consecutive day off: low carbs

Don't know if this is n sync wit da ideals, tryn to get a schedule, I'm trying to get back to my 20 12 - early 2013 form, it's not only gonna require the training (which is the fun part) but a disciplined diet. Not insanely so cause we do need the balance, but training alone ain't gonna get it, I already know.... I've got other wonderings,which I'll post elsewhere, n missed muscle coalition n it's great people, haven't heard from toosexy since around his last activity date so hope he's alright n how's CWB?

baby1
08-16-2014, 10:55 PM
I have been thinking of trying this also