PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to squats

Layddually2
07-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Found out today I have some blown disc in spine. Dr said no more squats or DL what camisole as alternatives.

gdl-labs
07-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Ugh...I hate squats.......just sayi g

Layddually2
07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
I always hated the way they made my back feel now I know why.

MuscleAddiction
07-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Leg Press which will support your back, Hack Squat, Lunges...just take care on the back. Do you or will you be seeing a chiropractor from here on out? Would also recommend acupuncture and massages, try some sort of rehabilitation along the way. Core exercises to tighten abs and help strengthen the muscles around your spine.

SisterSteel
07-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I would do leg press and hacks. Your back will be supported from these 2 movements. To strengthen your back you should look into doing reverse hypers. They will decompress your lower back while strengthening it.\

If your back was always hurting you than your form was off more than likely.

Layddually2
07-17-2013, 09:22 PM
My back hurts even when not working out but my spine right where they said my disc are toast is where it hurt when squating. I hurt it 15 yrs ago but never had it looked at. Back when I worked in a rock quarry. I had to unload some 2" x24"x12" granite. Of course I was trying to play hero and would pick them up and twist then set them on conveyor. I did over 500 that day about an hour before quiting my back took a shit and has never been the same. In case your wonder each of those pieces weigh roughly 100+lbs.

chrisotpherm
07-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Everyone has pretty much nailed what needs to be said. Now that you do know is time to take care of yourself better brother.

Terpvtx
07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
You could try a super squat hip belt. You can buy one at ironmind.com. It is similar to a dip belt with a pin at the end that you can add plates to. You would place two cinder blocks about shoulder width apart. Stand on the blocks with the weight located between the blocks and do your squats from there. With the hip belt, there is no compression of the spine. An alternative to consider.

Layddually2
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
You could try a super squat hip belt. You can buy one at ironmind.com. It is similar to a dip belt with a pin at the end that you can add plates to. You would place two cinder blocks about shoulder width apart. Stand on the blocks with the weight located between the blocks and do your squats from there. With the hip belt, there is no compression of the spine. An alternative to consider.

I like this idea

Beavis303
07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Fuck. I blew out my back on Tuesday after seeing that Sister Steel can whip my ass in the squat rack and dead lifts. And fuck I guess in real life also since she's a champion now. Shit. I need the same ideas. Dr just told me my squatting and heavy dead lift days are over. Sitting in recliner now can't walk. Going for MRI at 2:30. Shit. I thought I was a bad ass. Looked at Sisters post. Said fuck I will do that.. Wrong. Hoping I didn't really fuck something up. But it's all in the game.

xray
07-18-2013, 03:53 PM
not much more to be said than what is here

Layddually2
07-18-2013, 04:10 PM
The only thing with the cinder block idea is it cuts out the core work.

red crayon
07-29-2013, 09:47 AM
I have seen people work their legs when they had a bad back. This one guy used a dip belt on a T-Bar row machine. It completely took his back out of the squat movement. This is just another Idea to try.

SisterSteel
07-29-2013, 06:24 PM
I have seen people work their legs when they had a bad back. This one guy used a dip belt on a T-Bar row machine. It completely took his back out of the squat movement. This is just another Idea to try.

That's actually called a belted squat. I haven't seen someone use a t-bar rowing machine for it but you can use a belt and 2 blocks. You stand on top of the 2 blocks and you attach a heavy db to the belt. You squat so the db is lowered in between the 2 blocks.

Ironguruera
07-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Iron mind makes an apparatus to hang weight below u for back pain free squats. iron mind makes some sick products in general.

red crayon
07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
I was just trying to list an exercise that I have seen used in the gym, that anyone can do with the equipment thats available so you dont have to spend any money to do it. Im sure that Iron Mind makes a better apparatus for belted squats, I didnt know they had a name.

If you try and do the belted squat make sure that you have the weight directly between your legs. With the T-Bar machine you can change the angle and hit different parts of the leg but its hard on the knees.