PDA

View Full Version : Traps

zedhed
07-22-2013, 02:08 PM
I love working my traps with a nice heavy bbl. I do my trap raises in front of my bod most of the time. I have seen and read of peeps doing them behind their back too. I have and can do this but I have to arch my back to get my butt out of the way. And the ROM is very small. So is it worth it to do them behind the back due to the potential for lower back injury and the small ROM?:cool:

Lunchbox
07-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Smith Machine Shrugs Front and Back concentrating on top end squeeze.With a good lean and form I feel as if the behind the back shrugs / shoulder raises have increased the cap and overall size of my traps.

I have moved to these from the DB shrugs, but will move back once I feel some complacency has set in.

Ironguruera
07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Smith machine bar behind ass. Shoulder grip. No wider then shoulder.

Try I almost do an upright row but behind you. Makes em jump!! Best exercise for traps hand down.

I always see guys with 6 wheels or more in the cage grunting away....meanwhile their traps suck aas still lol.
It's about that stretch and contraction.

With bar behind and shoulder grip u can contract the traps so much better. Grab a broomstick and vary hand grips and bar in front and back. U will feel the difference right away in how much better the contraction is bar behind the body.

red crayon
07-22-2013, 04:50 PM
On shoulder day I use dumbbells behind the back and on back day I use a barbell in the front. Oh and dont forget to squeeze at the top like lunchbox said.

zedhed
07-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Workout at home but think I could adapt that (kinda upright row behind the back) sounds interesting anyway. Thanks all my traps love to be worked and show almost instant change from that work.
Love it!

SisterSteel
07-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Personally, I don't think you need to do shrugs to the front or back to build monsterous traps.

dust06
07-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Personally, I don't think you need to do shrugs to the front or back to build monsterous traps.

Shrugs aren't in my routine at all. Most of my traps come from altering dumbbells up rows that's the only way I can feel the squeeze !!!!

Ironguruera
07-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Deadlifts work great! They just bother my lower back as I've gotten older. When I did deads I never did shrugs

Encino_Mang
07-22-2013, 10:36 PM
A bunch of huge trapped powerlifter guys I used to work out with years ago did a lot of barbell high pulls........that and shugs (front) and deads of course

Every time I've done the back shugs it felt like shit........they're probably great, just doesn't feel right to me

SisterSteel
07-22-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm a big fan of Olympic assisting lifts, ie. snatch high pulls, snatch pulls, clean pulls, and clean high pulls. Perform them from blocks or from the hang. They'll make your traps enormous.

Encino_Mang
07-22-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm a big fan of Olympic assisting lifts, ie. snatch high pulls, snatch pulls, clean pulls, and clean high pulls. Perform them from blocks or from the hang. They'll make your traps enormous.

Those guys did them mainly from the hang.......big weights too

One thing about Olympic lifters........ALL of the have big ass traps coming out from under their ears.......and huge quads

dust06
07-23-2013, 12:32 AM

This is true I did all those in my routines for sports from 15 till mid 20's but the only thing I keept were the deads

AgentYes
07-23-2013, 05:11 AM
No Direct Trap work ever.
LOL

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag50/AgentMyste/26898475_zps64d8ed21.jpg

TUT from DLs

xdude
07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
my gym has what amounts to a shrug machine .. the arms stay shoulder length apart ..the hands are like you are using dumbbells (wrists are straight) .the great thing is the machine can hold a boat load of weight... it has different hand position so you can do it seated as well , which hits the traps at a different angle.. It is actually amazing they have this thing , my gym doesn't have a lot of specific muscle machines .. First time I used it , my traps were sore for a week.. it was awesome

SisterSteel
07-23-2013, 09:31 AM
This is true I did all those in my routines for sports from 15 till mid 20's but the only thing I keept were the deads

You should put them back in. I'm not a fan of people performing the classical lifts (snatch and clean & jerk) unless they can get proper coaching. The assisting lifts are much easier to learn and perform. They also have a lower risk of injury.

zedhed
07-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I like high pulls from a hang but I also love doing shrugs. For me its like instant gratification. And of course deads are always in there. Thats just meat and potatoes.

dust06
07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
No Direct Trap work ever.
LOL

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag50/AgentMyste/26898475_zps64d8ed21.jpg

TUT from DLs

what can I say my traps get very little direct work( shrugs etc.) and still thick would post a pic but don't know how lol

SisterSteel
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I like high pulls from a hang but I also love doing shrugs. For me its like instant gratification. And of course deads are always in there. Thats just meat and potatoes.

That's right.... bread and butter exercises. The staples that everyone should do.

drkmn1
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
my gym has what amounts to a shrug machine .. the arms stay shoulder length apart ..the hands are like you are using dumbbells (wrists are straight) .the great thing is the machine can hold a boat load of weight... it has different hand position so you can do it seated as well , which hits the traps at a different angle.. It is actually amazing they have this thing , my gym doesn't have a lot of specific muscle machines .. First time I used it , my traps were sore for a week.. it was awesome

I LOVE that machine... my traps are sore for days. Since I don't deadlift very heavy these days... its a great alternative.

Ironguruera
07-23-2013, 08:02 PM

I've tried it a few times. Seems to wide for my smaller body frame. Behind the back smith works far better for me.
I do like how u can load the piss out of that machine safely though. Just made for normal heigh guys lol.

Orange24
07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I find dead lifts get my traps real big

That and shoulder width, behind the back shrugs.