PDA

View Full Version : So I just wana build some extra muscles?

Hadz94
08-21-2013, 09:29 PM
What is the best lifting plan? I have a bench and weights but what's the amount of reps and exercises should I be doing?

Ironguruera
08-21-2013, 10:59 PM
8-12 reps is a good staring point for bodybuilding. Since all u have is a bench a dumbbells. I'd do 3-4 sets of incline bench 2-3 sets Incline db flys.

3-4 sets flat bench with 2-3 sets db flys.
Maybe finish with some push ups.

That's a good place to start

smoovy
08-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Do you plan on getting a gym membership or no?

And if not, are you looking to buy any equipment?

You just have a barbell and plates or do you have dumbbells also?

Hadz94
08-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Thanks iron :)

Yeh man I have a bench with plates and barbell weights, I haven't really thought of getting a membership as I have stuff already but is there anything else I should look at getting?

Lunchbox
08-22-2013, 09:33 AM
At your age little dude...

Eat like a fucking horse!!! Good food, not McD's or Burger King.

Do like Iron said above and either slowly grow your home gym with materials or look into joining a gym.

Bench Press / DB Flys / DB Press / Pushups / Dips using a bench

Squats / Lunges with DB's

Enjoy growing young man... but remember, the key is to eat well. Good stuff in = Good stuff out. Crap in = Crap out.

Ironguruera
08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
At your age little dude...

Eat like a fucking horse!!! Good food, not McD's or Burger King.

Do like Iron said above and either slowly grow your home gym with materials or look into joining a gym.

Bench Press / DB Flys / DB Press / Pushups / Dips using a bench

Squats / Lunges with DB's

Enjoy growing young man... but remember, the key is to eat well. Good stuff in = Good stuff out. Crap in = Crap out.

^^^^truth!

I can't stress diet enough! Like he said real quality food u cook yourself. Beef,chicken,fish,turkey with veggies, brown rice, quinoa or yams.

Eat that 5-7 times a day and report back!!

For a young buck at work. Early 20's. he eats all processed and fast food. He trains 5 days a week. He looks athletic at best. Found out he is on juice now....still nothing impressive.

I was the same at his age. Tons of time, motivation....I made gains but nothing like I can now.

It's all about good food!
Eat things that had a face!

If you don't have to kill it or grow and pluck it....don't eat it :)

smoovy
08-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks iron :)

Yeh man I have a bench with plates and barbell weights, I haven't really thought of getting a membership as I have stuff already but is there anything else I should look at getting?

You need to think of big compound lifts.

Deadlifts are gonna be your #1.

Barbell Military Presses
Squats
Bench Press
Pullups

Work on your form first, perfect it before you start worrying about how much weight you can move.

If your just starting then you dont need to get all crazy, keep it simple.

Orange24
08-22-2013, 10:10 PM
I would stray from deads until you've strengthened your lower back...If you're a beginner that is.

smoovy
08-22-2013, 10:22 PM
I would stray from deads until you've strengthened your lower back...If you're a beginner that is.

Doing deads would strengthen his lower back. If he started with a lower weight and perfected his form he would be just fine.

Hadz-- you got anything you could stack to create more of a rack dead lift? Like maybe you could stack a bunch of plates on both sides of the barbell that way you dont have to do deads all the way from the floor. Start at knee level and eventually work your way down till your at the floor. That would be safer for your lower back and form than starting from the floor, which is what Orange is concerned about.

Ironguruera
08-23-2013, 12:56 AM
I dunno maybe cause I have mildly herniated discs in my low back....but deads kill my low back. Rack pulls where WAY worse. My buddy did 1 set and was like not for me lol. Wish I had followed his lead cause the rack pulls had me right for dayyyys.

However I feel proper form deads are an amazing mass mover. I liked them better then squats cause u get a squat off the floor with deads plus all the upper body and back work.

I really like olympic bar in corner. Throw plates on one side and grab the bar behind the stack of plates. Old school action and a stellar back mass mover. Good enough for Arnold , cutler and many others with huge backs...good enough for me!

smoovy
08-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I dunno maybe cause I have mildly herniated discs in my low back....but deads kill my low back. Rack pulls where WAY worse. My buddy did 1 set and was like not for me lol. Wish I had followed his lead cause the rack pulls had me right for dayyyys.

However I feel proper form deads are an amazing mass mover. I liked them better then squats cause u get a squat off the floor with deads plus all the upper body and back work.

I really like olympic bar in corner. Throw plates on one side and grab the bar behind the stack of plates. Old school action and a stellar back mass mover. Good enough for Arnold , cutler and many others with huge backs...good enough for me!

I have a TERRIBLE lower back. Proper form and deads are a breeze for me. But squats still jack me up and I'm currently trying to do t-bar rows but I think I'm bracing myself wrong cause its destroying my lower back.

Weird how different lifts effect people so differently.

Encino_Mang
08-24-2013, 12:59 AM
If it were me I would Squat on Mon / Bench on Wed / Deads on Fri...........5 sets of 5 reps, that is all..........oh and eat!

smoovy
08-24-2013, 01:00 AM

OMG....... Did deads today and hurt my lower back!!! Dang Iron, you jinxed me or something bro!!!....

I was rushing to get thru my sets, didnt have very much time and did zero mobility/stretching beforehand so thats what did it, oh the irony..

Ironguruera
08-24-2013, 02:29 AM
OMG....... Did deads today and hurt my lower back!!! Dang Iron, you jinxed me or something bro!!!....

I was rushing to get thru my sets, didnt have very much time and did zero mobility/stretching beforehand so thats what did it, oh the irony..

Fuck I'm sorry bro! I didn't even do the bar in corner rows cause my back hurt today.
I find on the other hand stretching spine movements like lat pull downs etc actually help my back when its tightened up.

Hope it feels better soon bro.