PDA

View Full Version : Best potatoes ever??

smoovy
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
We all know potatoes are the best carb to eat to get bigger, so to avoid the dreaded "I'm sick of eating potatoes" feeling, I figured maybe we could all share the many different ways to cook and prepare them so this food stays delicious for all of us!

One of my faves is to cut them up small and peeled, throw them in a frying pan with some olive oil and a little butter for flavor. Cook on medium high heat and with a lid, also salt and pepper. The point is to cook fast and keep the moisture in. I'm trying to get an almost crunchy texture on the outside and soft on the middle. Sometimes I'll throw in some dill and cheese and make some over easy eggs to throw on top and maybe add some turkey bacon.

MuscleAddiction
08-25-2013, 12:25 PM
A simple favorite of mine is just throwing whole Yams in the oven at 450* for 35-45 minutes, eat them with skin on.

Another way which takes more prep time is peeling them and cutting into small cubes, tossing them in Coconut Oil, pepper, and sea salt, spreading them on a cookie sheet and putting fresh Thyme on top before putting in the oven on 425* for 30-35 minutes...then a few minutes prior to pulling them out...broil on low for 5 minutes just to brown the tops a bit.

If I am going to eat a regular potato, it will be for a cheat meal with butter, sour cream, and chives!!!

SisterSteel
08-25-2013, 02:05 PM
MA, try adding cinnamon to your sweet potato.

MuscleAddiction
08-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Ooohhh...great idea!!! Thanks sis...missed ya!!! Training hard as always???

ineedtogrow
08-25-2013, 06:40 PM
I never get sick of potatoes. I absolutelly love the baked with real butter sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Also like them cubed, fried in a pan with chopped onions, fresh chives, red or orange bell peppers, real butter, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Twice baked potatoes are another favorite or mine

smoovy
08-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I cant hang with baked potatoes are a regular basis, the texture gets to me and I gag. I like it every once in a while, preferably with a nice piece of steak.

MA- I boil my sweet potatoes, mash them up and throw them in a container in the fridge and use them throughout the week, mostly I throw them in my protein shakes. If I dont have some pre made then Ill throw a jar of sweet potato baby food in my protein shakes.

My wife is bout to get a recipe from her aunt for potato salad, her aunt literally makes the best potato salad I've ever had in my life, so good!! And potato salad is one of my faves!!

theduketmwbo
09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
smoovy my way is kinda like yours, i like to cut them up in small pieces, with the peel on, throw them in a frying pan, a little olive oil, a tad bit of butter, salt, pepper, and cut up some onions in small pieces, and then some graded parm cheese on them at the end for like 30 seconds, really gets the cheese flavor in them, and the onions are killer.

BigBones
09-04-2013, 09:14 AM
So many ways to make good potatoes.
Sweets are great with cinnamon (awesome Sis)!
You can also cut these up into French Fry size and dust them with Italian seasonings and bake them at 400 - it's my way of cheating when having a burger.
Same goes for White Potatoe :)

SisterSteel
09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Ooohhh...great idea!!! Thanks sis...missed ya!!! Training hard as always???

You're welcome. You can peel the sweet potato, mash it, and add the cinnamon and it tastes great.

prc603
09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
odd discovery.......over cooked lentils have the potential to be a decent potato sub. i wasnt paying attention, over cooked mine, also first time making then without supervision (aka my gf is a pro cook) and noticed they looked like cooked mashed potatoes. i didnt try it at the time, but i bet a little butter and milk would smooth them out and they wouldnt be half bad

guage
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM

try the pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon. I put in on oatmeal too.. its great

smoovy
09-08-2013, 10:55 PM
try the pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon. I put in on oatmeal too.. its great

What the heck is pumpkin pie spice??

I know what pumpkin pie mix from the can is, and I know what spices to use when I'm making a pumpkin pie, but I've never heard of a spice called "pumpkin pie spice"...

I LOVE pumpkin pie.