PDA

View Full Version : Best way to grow biceps???

ICIRIUIKIID
08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Having a hard time growing my biceps. Looking for some helpfully info

Thanks in advance!

striker1488
08-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Probably should have put this under the fitness and exercise part of the forum. wish i could answer this but mine are not the largest by any means. Now tri's, traps, delts and lats. thats another.

MuscleAddiction
08-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Took care of moving it for you brother! What are you currently doing for biceps now? How often do you train them??

Fit Guru
08-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Without knowing your routine my advice would be to train them twice a week for 4 weeks.12 sets each session and train then by themselves.( if you can).
Another tip is is your training back and biceps together and chest and triceps together then switch to chest and biceps because by the time your done with back your biceps are already beat down and you can over train them.

Ironguruera
08-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Without knowing your routine my advice would be to train them twice a week for 4 weeks.12 sets each session and train then by themselves.( if you can).
Another tip is is your training back and biceps together and chest and triceps together then switch to chest and biceps because by the time your done with back your biceps are already beat down and you can over train them.

Fit is a veteran and has solid advise here as always.
I will never understand why guys do chest and triceps same day! If I do chest 1st my tricep routine sucks and vice versa.

I personally prefer chest and biceps.

I personally feel the preacher curl bench like Larry Scott is the mother of all bicep exercises. However the shape of the bench makes or breaks it. Needs to have some curve to the bench to be ideal. Also be sure go to rock bottom and I mean the fucking bottom on each rep. I see so many guys do this half rep bullshit. Sure if I'm curling 130 then I won't go to rock bottom. Otherwise rock god damn bottom!

I'd say start with 3-4 sets of preacher curls. 3-4 sets of incline bench hammer curls. Finish with a brachialis or bicep peaking move like concentration db curls, spider curls etc.

This should get ya started then we can ramp it up for ya.

drkmn1
08-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Old fashioned curling with a barbell seems to make my arms grow like nothing else. Strict form with maybe some slight cheating (swinging) on the last couple reps. Also dumbell curls down the rack works for me... Say you start curling with 50lb dumbells doing 12 reps, rest 10 seconds, 12 reps with 30's, 12 reps with 20's... etc ... you can adjust what works for you, but it's a good pump.

MuscleAddiction
08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Alright...this is one of my favorite bicep workouts:

Preacher Curls...exactly how Ironguruera explains them above 4 sets
Seated Barbell Curls...bar lowered down to your lap and then curl up, forearms go no lower than parallel to floor...4 sets
DB Hammer Curls...heavy as you can go, squeeze the hell out of bicep at top...4 sets

12 sets is all you need for biceps, also cable work on other days to help work the peak...but we will get to those later.

Everyone has great advice above, this is just one of my favorite bicep workouts that taxes the hell out of them.

smoovy
08-27-2013, 01:27 AM
For thickness and size barbell curls always seemed to work for me, add in some cheats maybe last set and last couple reps.

Also I found that some sort of cable curl at a high rep grew them.

DB curls seemed to do more for shape than size tho.

Also, EAT TONS. Nothing grows arms more than adding the calories along with the training. If you train hard but arent upping your calories I'm not sure if your arms will really grow that much.

SuperSam
08-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I can't say a ton cause I dont have the best bi's by a long shot but.....I have found that you have to make sure you are hitting the long head of the bi hard. This is best done by using straight bars.. no EZ curl bars.

my 0.02

Fit Guru
08-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Here's the real key. Pull with your biceps. By that I mean don't use so much weight that shoulders and body language get in the way.swallow your ego and use just enough weight to just use biceps alone. And SQUEEZE!

SuperSam
08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Here's the real key. Pull with your biceps. By that I mean don't use so much weight that shoulders and body language get in the way.swallow your ego and use just enough weight to just use biceps alone. And SQUEEZE!

I've limited myself to no more than 30lb dumbells and can feel it the next day in my bi's instead of my shoulders.

ICIRIUIKIID
08-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Damn never had so much GOOD advice in such a short time! I currently start at the 45-50 Dumbells and do 1 set of 12. Then I immediately goo to straight bar with 60lbs then rest for probably way to long 3-4 minutes but in that time I will do a set of say traps or core! I'm thinking just strictly bicep day. I just can't help touching everything at the gym. I go in promising myself that today is strictly chest,shoulders....etc and 10 minutes in I can't help but to do more. Thanks for all the advice. I will really use it!

Ironguruera
08-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Damn never had so much GOOD advice in such a short time! I currently start at the 45-50 Dumbells and do 1 set of 12. Then I immediately goo to straight bar with 60lbs then rest for probably way to long 3-4 minutes but in that time I will do a set of say traps or core! I'm thinking just strictly bicep day. I just can't help touching everything at the gym. I go in promising myself that today is strictly chest,shoulders....etc and 10 minutes in I can't help but to do more. Thanks for all the advice. I will really use it!

Focus young buck! U must pick the body part and hit hypertrophy with it. Hoping all over is not the way.
Circuit training can be a good fat loss tool but not the best for inducing muscle growth!

Like for said....feel that muscle work! Stretch, contract, squeeze.

smoovy
08-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Good word Fit-- SQUEEZE!! Squeeze at the top is HUGE.

Dont rest that long when doing arms man. How long have you been lifting for?

It might be better for you to do 2-3 days of bi's, short rests, 3 sets, nothing crazy. You could only do that kind of volume for 2 months max tho. Try and keep it around 45 seconds rest in between sets.

This hasnt been mentioned yet but chin-ups and rows also grow the arms, especially chins.

Exerciseordie
08-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Simple bro, do more sets with more weight. People like to over complicate and tell you science (which I personally love to read about and search but that's besides the point) the peak and shape of your muscle is genetic. So no way to shape it, just hit it hard twice a week. Remember if you aren't on cycle your protein synthesis is only active for about 48 hrs, so you can train it more than once to maximize the time it's growing vs resting. (There is that there science lol)

Edit: oh yea and as people have stated, keep good form bro. It's a must.

SisterSteel
08-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Stretching after exercises helps. Also don't just do high rep work with your biceps. Be sure to do some heavy curls as well.

red crayon
08-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Keep a log book with notes too. That way you wont be repeating your mistakes. I have been keeping logs since the early 80's. It also helps you stay on track.

SisterSteel
08-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Keep a log book with notes too. That way you wont be repeating your mistakes. I have been keeping logs since the early 80's. It also helps you stay on track.

It's a good idea to log everything in terms of your training, diet, etc...

SuperSam
08-29-2013, 12:37 PM
It's a good idea to log everything in terms of your training, diet, etc...

I wish I would have kept a log to see my progress. I've never logged anything. If anything i should log my diet and see just exactly what im eating. Somedays i kind of add it up in my head but thats as far as ive ever gone.

Diet log, here i come!

smoovy
08-30-2013, 03:00 AM
I ALWAYS write out what I'm going to train then log how I did. I also write out what I'm shooting for in terms of reps/weight and sets for each lift.

Ironguruera
08-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I ALWAYS write out what I'm going to train then log how I did. I also write out what I'm shooting for in terms of reps/weight and sets for each lift.

OCD much? I just lift the weights lol.

smoovy
08-30-2013, 10:31 PM
OCD much? I just lift the weights lol.

Man idk how people just go to the gym with no plan and start lifting. I tried that and felt like I made no progress, sticking with a routine keeps me on track and making progress. Plus its nice to look back in your journal from time to time and see how much stronger you've gotten.

Encino_Mang
08-30-2013, 10:58 PM
If your doing a bunch of back / lat work your bi's are getting hit anyway, I just throw in a 3 - 4 sets of db curls or preachers...........then again I hate training bi's........I like hitting the compound lifts as heavy as I can to grow

Ironguruera
08-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Man idk how people just go to the gym with no plan and start lifting. I tried that and felt like I made no progress, sticking with a routine keeps me on track and making progress. Plus its nice to look back in your journal from time to time and see how much stronger you've gotten.

Lol lemme rephrase. It's all in my head brother. I have a routine I mostly stick with. I swap out an exercise here an there etc. I'm not using the exact same thing every single time. I train more by bio-feed back. Some days I feel strong and endless energy other days not so much. I'm constantly progressing.

Compound lifts will hit all muscles. I don't train my triceps much these directly. However u definately need to hit biceps or triceps directly ESP when starting off! while yes my pressing moves hit my triceps....they grow way more when I train them directly.

I'm not pro by any means but I'm at 18" now and I think this next blast I can hit 19" with my new program and I'm 5' 6". I hadn't trained triceps in 2+ months here.

smoovy
08-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Lol lemme rephrase. It's all in my head brother. I have a routine I mostly stick with. I swap out an exercise here an there etc. I'm not using the exact same thing every single time. I train more by bio-feed back. Some days I feel strong and endless energy other days not so much. I'm constantly progressing.

Compound lifts will hit all muscles. I don't train my triceps much these directly. However u definately need to hit biceps or triceps directly ESP when starting off! while yes my pressing moves hit my triceps....they grow way more when I train them directly.

I'm not pro by any means but I'm at 18" now and I think this next blast I can hit 19" with my new program and I'm 5' 6". I hadn't trained triceps in 2+ months here.

Man I wish my arms could grow like that..

I'm pretty sure I'm the most genetically jacked up hard-gainer, haha. Orange and I are buddies, dude works out less than me and doubles my size no prob. I gotta work hard at it and be super strict with everything. Slow but consistent progress is where its at for me!

MuscleAddiction
08-31-2013, 07:05 PM

Nice IG...jacked my brother!!! We all have what works for us, it is good to write down goals, keep a journal, track your progress...but there are the elite that have the natural ability to be able to do it all in their heads. Most days when the wife and I are driving to the gym I am quiet and in thought...she asks "what's wrong?" I say "nothing... planning our workout"...I can map it out in my head too, and it comes with doing this for 20+ years. Zed has me on a program so it is a bit easier at moment, but will just log it here from now on, that way he can see the progress and modify as needed.

Ironguruera
08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
U got it brother I plan that shit at work before I go. Sometimes while at the gym. I don't mean to make it sound like its all haphazard lol. "I'll do uhhh arms yes arms lol".

I have my favorite exercises and I simply rotate them by how I feel and what's available to use.

I'm going to try some slin then ill prob make a slin, tren, pl log for zed.

MuscleAddiction
08-31-2013, 08:17 PM
U got it brother I plan that shit at work before I go. Sometimes while at the gym. I don't mean to make it sound like its all haphazard lol. "I'll do uhhh arms yes arms lol".

I have my favorite exercises and I simply rotate them by how I feel and what's available to use.

I'm going to try some slin then ill prob make a slin, tren, pl log for zed.

LMAO!!! Too funny, yeah that would be great bro if you could do that for us, coming from you is a bonus. When you have lived the lifestyle for many years it really is all you think, dream, and execute all day everyday!!! It is second nature at this point really...eat, train, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, snack, sleep...repeat!

smoovy
09-01-2013, 12:40 PM
How long it take you guys to feel like everything finally clicked and you were making great gains, super consistent, knew what worked best for you muscles to respond the very best, etc..?

I been lifting for 4yrs, but I'd have to say the first couple yrs I knew NOTHING about diet. Probably only been lifting for 2yrs with decent gains and smart eating/programming.

Ironguruera
09-01-2013, 01:21 PM
How long it take you guys to feel like everything finally clicked and you were making great gains, super consistent, knew what worked best for you muscles to respond the very best, etc..?

I been lifting for 4yrs, but I'd have to say the first couple yrs I knew NOTHING about diet. Probably only been lifting for 2yrs with decent gains and smart eating/programming.

I've been lifting again 3 yrs +.
Once I got some decent size back is when I took off again.
Only thing holding me back for more size is more cals really.

zedhed
09-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Time under tension seems to work very well for me for biceps. As in 60 second close grip chin ups. 30 seconds up and 30 seconds down. Dosnt take very many....

Ironguruera
09-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Time under tension seems to work very well for me for biceps. As in 60 second close grip chin ups. 30 seconds up and 30 seconds down. Dosnt take very many....

That sounds like 1 hell of a finisher zed!