PDA

View Full Version : New Equipmant

red crayon
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Do you use any special personal equipment when you power lift?
Since being here and reading some of Sister Steels posts I have added a Power Lifting Belt (there is a difference) and Knee wraps. The belt helps me keep my back straight and protects my lower back, the wraps protects my knees and is kinda springy at the bottom of a squat or dead lift. There is a learning curve that goes with using this equipment also.

red crayon
09-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I thought for sure Id get a lot of responses about weight lifting equipment. I guess not. I carry a lot of equipment with me to the gym including a small set of tools, Allen wrenches, crescent wrench, a pair of channel locks, a universal screw driver and some electrical tape. I cant count the times I have had to tighten up a set of dumbbells or the collars on an Olympic bar. Anyone else do that?

Ironguruera
09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I thought for sure Id get a lot of responses about weight lifting equipment. I guess not. I carry a lot of equipment with me to the gym including a small set of tools, Allen wrenches, crescent wrench, a pair of channel locks, a universal screw driver and some electrical tape. I cant count the times I have had to tighten up a set of dumbbells or the collars on an Olympic bar. Anyone else do that?

Hahahaha u are my hero! No I just get a case of the hulks and throw said fucking equipment on the floor and cuss and walk away :)
I was seeing a girl who loved my
temper....I'm trying to subdue it again lol.
The new gym I'm using has some non labeled bars made up. One is loose. It's a fun guessing game. I'm going to get a liquid marker and label them one day soon. Drives me crazy. Most db and bb u can twist each end and tighten them up.....

I keep it simple bro. Towel, back belt, wrist support shiek straps.

MuscleAddiction
09-02-2013, 01:16 PM

I used too at my old gym, so far so good at the new one...just now dealing with people with no gym etiquette and leaving shit on equipment and bars loaded.

Hahahaha u are my hero! No I just get a case of the hulks and throw said fucking equipment on the floor and cuss and walk away :)
I was seeing a girl who loved my
temper....I'm trying to subdue it again lol.
The new gym I'm using has some non labeled bars made up. One is loose. It's a fun guessing game. I'm going to get a liquid marker and label them one day soon. Drives me crazy. Most db and bb u can twist each end and tighten them up.....

I keep it simple bro. Towel, back belt, wrist support shiek straps.

Same here...belt, Inzer wrist wraps, knee wraps, Shiek lifting straps and elbow compression sleeves. Wife has all the same except for no wrist or knee wraps...she has the Shiek belt, lifting straps, and compression sleeves for her elbows too. Also cute pink & black lifting gloves ;).

Ironguruera
09-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Red I followed your lead. I brought some grip tape into the gym and revamped the calve raise machine lol. Way better now!
I laughed when I picked up that one shitty bar and said where is red when u need him?!

Encino_Mang
09-02-2013, 05:17 PM
I used too at my old gym, so far so good at the new one...just now dealing with people with no gym etiquette and leaving shit on equipment and bars loaded.

Same here...belt, Inzer wrist wraps, knee wraps, Shiek lifting straps and elbow compression sleeves. Wife has all the same except for no wrist or knee wraps...she has the Shiek belt, lifting straps, and compression sleeves for her elbows too. Also cute pink & black lifting gloves ;).

Where do you get your elbow sleeves?

I have some Inzers sleeves that are pretty good

MuscleAddiction
09-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Where do you get your elbow sleeves?

I have some Inzers sleeves that are pretty good

https://www.schiek.com/supports.html

The elbow sleeves work well for me on pressing movements...remove them for back or biceps, hinder range of motion for me.

red crayon
09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
All it takes is getting your hand pinched one time, by loose plates, and I just decided that was once to often. I also got tired of trying to find a set of locking collars that weren't being used so I purchased these
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/294647
The new power lifting belt
http://www.liftinglarge.com/Longhorn-Powerlifting-Belt
and some knee wraps
http://www.liftinglarge.com/Titanium-Powerlifting-Knee-Wraps
I lift alone so I have to depend on me. I put my toys away when Im finished and I have all the accessories I need. If I need something else I will go and buy it. If the equipment, I need, isnt right I will fix it, within reason of course. If I have time I also put the equipment back like I found it, lol

Encino_Mang
09-02-2013, 11:01 PM
https://www.schiek.com/supports.html

The elbow sleeves work well for me on pressing movements...remove them for back or biceps, hinder range of motion for me.

Model 1136 ES Elbow Sleeve? Are they pretty easy to get on.........some of those are a bitch to get in place..........and yea only pressing movements

MuscleAddiction
09-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Model 1136 ES Elbow Sleeve? Are they pretty easy to get on.........some of those are a bitch to get in place..........and yea only pressing movements

When skin is dry no problem...if sweaty then it is a tug-o-war to get it on yes lol.

Exerciseordie
09-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Wrist brace, belt, and chalk! Lots and lots of chalk lol

BigBones
09-04-2013, 09:24 AM
My favorite sleeves are out of EliteFTS.com. They have some pretty solid gear. A bit pricey but if you sign up for email alerts they have discounts on the reg.

2 belts... 10mm 13mm single prong and double
Straps... Fucking way to many
Sleeves... Knees and elbows
MOUTHGUARD!... Yes you read it. There are a lot of upsides to using them and its not JUST the saving of your teeth.
Equipment of all sorts... Chains, resistance bands, magnetic weights, clamps, boards, chalk of course, shoes (2 different pairs; flat and "running"), etc etc ... Ultimately to much

red crayon
09-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I have read that a mouth guard will increase your lifting power and cause your body to produce more hormones. I would get one if it increased your lifting power alone, does it do that for you?

SisterSteel
09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Do you use any special personal equipment when you power lift?
Since being here and reading some of Sister Steels posts I have added a Power Lifting Belt (there is a difference) and Knee wraps. The belt helps me keep my back straight and protects my lower back, the wraps protects my knees and is kinda springy at the bottom of a squat or dead lift. There is a learning curve that goes with using this equipment also.

Yes. I used Titan THP knee wraps as well as a single prong powerlifting belt. You're right there is a BIG difference when it comes to belts. There is also a BIG difference with knee wraps.

There is A LOT of technique when it comes to wrapping your knees and also different wraps work differently. Some are more cast like and some give more spring out of the hole.

BigBones
09-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Absolutely!

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few ppls you know.

It's hilarious when ppl approach you or laugh behind your back about it. I almost ripped someone's head off for talking shit but with my older age I find its not worth it.

I digress.

Read this ;).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22290521

Lujannoe
09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I wear a mouth piece when I workout. Clench to hard when I lift heavy its becoming a trend at my gym. considering the local dentist works out there and he lets people know the benefits of it.

BigBones
09-04-2013, 10:30 PM
I wear a mouth piece when I workout. Clench to hard when I lift heavy its becoming a trend at my gym. considering the local dentist works out there and he lets people know the benefits of it.

Nice benefits for saving your teeth but there is SO MUCH more you get out of it.

Cliff notes on the reading above...
"mouth guard improves performance of upper-body loaded power exercises in both men and women and lower body power exercise in men without compromising performance on any other performance parameters."

Encino_Mang
09-05-2013, 01:14 AM
I have read that a mouth guard will increase your lifting power and cause your body to produce more hormones. I would get one if it increased your lifting power alone, does it do that for you?

A lot of powerlifters myself included used them back in the 80s 90s

SisterSteel
09-05-2013, 10:01 AM
If anyone is looking for good neoprene elbow sleeves I'd suggest wearing Rheband. They're a bit on the pricey side but they last forever. You can find them at Jackals Gym (online). If you want a single ply elbow or knee sleeve I suggest getting them from EliteFTS. They'll provide a bit more support than the neoprene but they won't warm up the area so you'll want to use a topical analgesic to help heat the area.

ironsmasher
09-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I just started using the titan knee and elbow sleeves and I love them. Besides that I have a pair of addidas oly shoes, chucks, slingshot, slingshot wrist wraps, forever belt and my titan singlet.

SisterSteel
09-22-2013, 06:45 PM
I just started using the titan knee and elbow sleeves and I love them. Besides that I have a pair of addidas oly shoes, chucks, slingshot, slingshot wrist wraps, forever belt and my titan singlet.

Looks like you got everything covered. Which slingshot do you have and how do you like it?

ironsmasher
09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I've got the red one. I love using it for close grip heavy reps or just throw it on after my last raw top set for a few triples

Fishman44
09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Slingshot is a great piece of equipment, I also use wrist wraps, elite fts belt, oly shoes

SisterSteel
10-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Slingshot is a great piece of equipment, I also use wrist wraps, elite fts belt, oly shoes

Oly shoes are a must if you're a raw medium stance squatter. Everyone who fit that description should wear them.