PDA

View Full Version : Empty stomach or no?

PJ1127
07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I really need to work on my cardio not only for my health but a job.

I will be running in the mornings after I wake up.

Should I eat before or after my running session?

Lunchbox
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I really need to work on my cardio not only for my health but a job.

I will be running in the mornings after I wake up.

Should I eat before or after my running session?

There have been studies that support both Cardio fasted / non-fasted. Its whatever you feel more comfortable with bro. I used to eat before the gym but now do it fasted because I keep from getting to queasy. BUT... If you do go fasted I suggest eating soon there after.

YMMV

Lunchbox

mondtster
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I like to do it but has to be soon after I wake up. If i wait too long I get tired and can't do as much unless I eat.

exphys88
07-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm unaware of any studies that show a benefit of cardio in a fasting state, in regards to more fat loss.
I would do whatever you prefer. I personally like to have at least a piece of toast or a banana before cardio.

ordawg1
07-03-2012, 01:11 AM
I like to do cardio fasted-but it makes no differance in fat loss-I jut feel better-OD

Tikijoe
07-03-2012, 06:52 AM
I wake up, brush my teeth, then go to the gym. If I wait my workout suffers. Then I eat after my pwo shake

Jayt
07-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Like most, have done it both ways. But I seem to stay with it longer if I have a little something like exphy said. So that makes the difference for me, small simple sugars pre, followed by pwo shake..

vincejeepman
07-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I am up at 5am.... I have 5 eggs, and a piece of dry toast, and banana. I am good for about 20 min of cardio, and then I hit the weights.

OldGoat
07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I would hit cardio fasted. But drink some amino's right when you wake before you do cardio.

Bruiser
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I would hit cardio fasted. But drink some amino's right when you wake before you do cardio.

Damnit old man, that's exactly what I was gonna say! Lol.

Oldschooliron
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
They have proven fasted cardio does not elicit any more fat loss/burn.

Taking at least a protein shake aka protein pre workout was shown to prevent muscle loss.

If Have to eat something before I do anything or might as well not even train as I'll collapse on the floor lol.

xpand
07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
i do both, just which ever u perfer

cane
07-18-2012, 03:28 AM
There have been tons of articles and studies done on this topic and truth be told, just about any article or study can be skewed to support any argument. There is plenty of information out there that supports this fasted cardio and tons that support the exact opposite. i would roll with whatever you feel works best for you.Learn your own body and what benefits it.

chrisotpherm
07-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm on the boat with everyone else here. Sometimes I don't have a choice if I eat or don't due to my job, but have noticed when I do it in the evening I lose more weight.

sina518
07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
if you don't want to eat just have a apple. and cardio should always be done after your workout. during your workout you're body is breaking down the sugars and calories your body has stored, then when you hit cardio its burning all of it off.

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Fasted cardio is the best method but not always attainable. I have a trick I use as well as some of my pro BB friends. Take BCAA's before your cardio. Your body will look to burn carbs first for energy then fats then protein. With no carbs to burn your body will burn stored bodyfat. The BCAA are just a safety net to make sure the cardio doesn't start breaking down muscle(protein)

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Now my method was based on AM cardio. Other than that always do cardio after weight training when your body is depleted

flward
07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
It all depend on the individual, I like cardio on empty stomach because my metabolism goes sky rocket and I lose a lot of fat. So what I would suggest is to give it a go for and week or two to find out how your body responds. I swear by it.

world-pharma.org
07-26-2012, 01:01 AM
how i do and its best for me and some my ifbb friends

up in the morning,shot hgh,take t4 and t3 tab...up to you what you take.
take fat burning pill or epfedrine..all up to you what you take
take bcaa and glutamin 5g each.
then do cardio 40min cca on 120-130 pulse rate

and after that eat egs...best of the best breakfast ;)

i am sure this is best way to lost pure fats only...

Workhardplayhard
08-25-2012, 10:07 AM
After u wake up a protein shake,pre workout supplement ( i take jack3d) and a fruit ( banana) work the best. I do not feel hungary stomach not filled and get a awesome cardio workout . After the run I drink a shake once I get home an make a 2-3 packets of oatmeal and 5 eggs(1 whole with yolk and 4 whites no yolk) and I feel great:)

Fit Guru
09-01-2012, 06:24 PM
That's spot on WP.....I can see you know what works.

MuscleAddiction
09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
how i do and its best for me and some my ifbb friends

up in the morning,shot hgh,take t4 and t3 tab...up to you what you take.
take fat burning pill or epfedrine..all up to you what you take
take bcaa and glutamin 5g each.
then do cardio 40min cca on 120-130 pulse rate

and after that eat egs...best of the best breakfast ;)

i am sure this is best way to lost pure fats only...

^^^ nice!

world-pharma.org
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
That's spot on WP.....I can see you know what works.

i am also BB already over 20 years..i know ..
but since i am licensed online pharmacy shop.i cant talk how to use meds,etc..
but i know how its good to use it ;)
i have plenty guys -friends who are IFBB or NABBA pro BB,we keep talk about cycles,etc..

Fit Guru
09-09-2012, 06:29 PM
i am also BB already over 20 years..i know ..
but since i am licensed online pharmacy shop.i cant talk how to use meds,etc..
but i know how its good to use it ;)
i have plenty guys -friends who are IFBB or NABBA pro BB,we keep talk about cycles,etc..

Yea same here. 2 of the top Pros in the world right now are close friends.i actually helped on get ready for his first USA and the next year be won.

10-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Empty stomach yep!

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 07:24 PM
For me, it depends on the cardio. If I'm running stadiums or grappling I'll def have something before (not right before), but if it would be something simple like L.I.S.S. cardio than I would do it fasted.

Ironguruera
10-05-2012, 07:40 PM
It's been proven a myth that fasted cardio helps fat loss or is a must. It actual causes muscle waisting.

It's really a personally preference. I personally would die mid session. I do minimum protein shake and bcaa before cardio so I have something in my gut. I don't like to eat a meal before cardio.

kazman68
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I always did it fasted for fat-loss, but if your doing it more for the cardio effect than fat-burning, I would advise having a light meal or shake, also bcaa's come to mind.

neoclassical
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Lots of great advice in this thread.....If performance is important, than eat something. If you're doing your cardio just to use up energy, then WP's advice is perfect ;)

red crayon
10-19-2012, 11:37 PM
So Lets say Im a beginer. (IM Not but just to make a point). How do I know what to do? First and usually best is to realize that we are all different. If you have read all the posts on this thread you can see we all have different Ideas. So try and find someone that you know who has a similar body type and is getting good results. Ask them all the questions that you can and try what they recomend. After awhile you will run across one or two people that do their cardio in a way that works for you. (This also works for their weight training program)
No two people are exactly alike, even twins (I have a set of twin boys). So If you read about a study done in China and they got "X" results well the the Chineese can follow that same protacol and get "X" results but a Hispanic might get completely different results doing the same thing. Its been my experience that you will just have to try and find someone similar to yourself and try what they do, Keep good notes and see what happens.
The point is this, even with scientific data to back up a certin protacol you will still have to try everything, keep good notes, to find the program that works. Oh and if that isnt bad enough mother nature likes to make things harder by keeping your body in a constant state of change. So what worked great last year probably wont do squat this year. Good Luck.

AgentYes
12-06-2012, 04:52 AM
So Lets say Im a beginer. (IM Not but just to make a point). How do I know what to do? First and usually best is to realize that we are all different. If you have read all the posts on this thread you can see we all have different Ideas. So try and find someone that you know who has a similar body type and is getting good results. Ask them all the questions that you can and try what they recomend. After awhile you will run across one or two people that do their cardio in a way that works for you. (This also works for their weight training program)
No two people are exactly alike, even twins (I have a set of twin boys). So If you read about a study done in China and they got "X" results well the the Chineese can follow that same protacol and get "X" results but a Hispanic might get completely different results doing the same thing. Its been my experience that you will just have to try and find someone similar to yourself and try what they do, Keep good notes and see what happens.
The point is this, even with scientific data to back up a certin protacol you will still have to try everything, keep good notes, to find the program that works. Oh and if that isnt bad enough mother nature likes to make things harder by keeping your body in a constant state of change. So what worked great last year probably wont do squat this year. Good Luck.

You will hear every possible answer to this. Ultimately I cardio fasted am be cause I believe in bro science, but never train fasted because that's what my first coach taught me. Really do why feels best. FYI Sumo wrestlers do fasted a.m. cardio every day. Deterrent or incentive? That's your call lol

bigmike88
02-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I simply cannot run on a full stomache.

maxadam
04-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Its not right to run with empty stomach. You should feed your body with little carbs as your body need energy in running. Running empty stomach will cause lack of glucose and that could be bad for you as you can suffer from weakness, dizziness. So run and keep your self fueled enough to run for long.

SisterSteel
04-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I simply cannot run on a full stomache.

I don't like to run period, lol.

Ebo10
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I say go walk at a 15% incline for 45 minutes. F... Running its too hard on my knees and such.

chrisotpherm
04-03-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't like to run period, lol.

Me neither. Unfortunately the Army says I have too. :mad:

Alexis
06-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Do it without having food but some shake or juice is good for you i mean that is something which can actually help you in burning fast and making yourself look good in terms of shape.
You should definitely go for it.

red crayon
06-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Here are a couple of links to some studies that support cardio exercise before breakfast:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/health-news-index/2012/31102012-exercising-before-breakfast-could-help-shift-extra-pounds

http://www.exercisemed.org/research-blog/exercising-before-breakfast.html

I really think its a matter of personal preference but in my own experience I have lost more body fat by getting up early, running a HIIT program before breakfast.

red crayon
06-22-2013, 11:32 PM
I forgot to add that I keep my cardio session and my weight lifting sessions as far apart from each other as possible! I also do my abb work immediately after my cardio session. The reason is that I dont want my exercise session to last to long because that will cause a problem with my session becoming catabolic. My abb work is in with the cardio session because the area around my belly button doesnt need to get any bigger so I put it there.

firefighter67
07-07-2015, 04:19 AM
fasted is #1 after workout #2 last meal of day #3

TITAN-280
09-30-2015, 11:39 AM
There actually have been studies done that show you burn fat 300% more efficiently on an empty stomach (e.g- fasted state, first thing in the morning).

My last 4-6 weeks in precontest mode I do cardio 3 x's per day - every 8 hrs. - 1st session is fasted then midday, then 1 hr before bed.

By doing this you're hitting your system with a boost of adrenaline every 8 hrs from increased heart rate, plus you can increase intensity for a shorter period and don't have to stay on a treadmill or stairmill for 1.5-2 hrs at a time. Took me 15 years to devise that cardio regimen and works like a charm while not burning muscle in the process.

MuscleAddiction
09-30-2015, 12:24 PM
There actually have been studies done that show you burn fat 300% more efficiently on an empty stomach (e.g- fasted state, first thing in the morning).

My last 4-6 weeks in precontest mode I do cardio 3 x's per day - every 8 hrs. - 1st session is fasted then midday, then 1 hr before bed.

By doing this you're hitting your system with a boost of adrenaline every 8 hrs from increased heart rate, plus you can increase intensity for a shorter period and don't have to stay on a treadmill or stairmill for 1.5-2 hrs at a time. Took me 15 years to devise that cardio regimen and works like a charm while not burning muscle in the process.

I like your theory...

Ironguruera
09-30-2015, 07:19 PM
I've read other studies that say fasted cardio makes 0 difference and it's just preference. Some ppl don't feel good doing fasted cardio and others can't do cardio with food in their stomach.

I like your other theory though.

xdude
09-30-2015, 08:21 PM
only trick getting cardio in 3 times a day?

Ironguruera
09-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Way easier to use frag lol.

TITAN-280
03-01-2016, 12:42 AM
It has been scientifically proven that fasted cardio burns calories 300% more effectively than after meals. So that would be the target time to burn more bodyfat. For endurance it would help to have some nutrients in your system

TITAN-280
03-01-2016, 12:43 AM

Currently doing cardio 3x's a day except leg days and Sunday. I do 30 min @ 4:30am, 30 min post workout and 30 min at 9:30-10pm. Rock on brother. :-)

Ironguruera
03-01-2016, 04:15 AM
Currently doing cardio 3x's a day except leg days and Sunday. I do 30 min @ 4:30am, 30 min post workout and 30 min at 9:30-10pm. Rock on brother. :-)

Whatever works for u and u can stick with! My friend did 1 hr am 1 hr pm plus weights when she was competing. She also ate fish and green beans for 8 months lol. She won places 1st in all
Her shows but 1 and went pro.
All about how bad u want it!

I told her I didn't want the trophy that bad lol. Hats off to you ppl that compete.

I'm happy with my 8-12 % BF and no cardio lol.

I'm curious to see how u finish up. 2 other guys in here compete and both came in shredded as hell! Always cool
To watch the transformation!

Encino_Mang
03-01-2016, 05:43 AM

You're a machine........I couldn't imagine the heart and dedication to do that 3X a day nor do I have the time to do that and hit weights.