PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Training Routine, Back to Basics: Recommendation for a well-rounded routine?

SlevinsBrother
09-20-2013, 04:14 PM
I've been training for close to 15 years now, and while I made some tremendous gains/hit my goals the first 7 of those years, i've really stalemated the past 5. I've only been juicing (off an on) the last 7. I, like anyone else, have had my peaks and my lows, and now I just want to get back to basics and look like I spend as much time as I do worrying about my physique.

I don't look like I should considering the amount of drugs i've been on in the past; and that's pathetic.
I've had some health issues, but it looks like i'm going to live quite a bit longer than expected now, and i'd like to make use of that gift.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/get-swole-cory-gregory-muscle-building-trainer.html

Laugh it up, that's the routine i'm looking at. I'm not looking to compete, i'm trying to look like the stereotypical jacked/ripped fitness model again. I've been huge, it wasn't an awesome feeling after a while, and i've been tiny, and that wasn't much better.

My diet is moderate carb, low fat, high protein; with most of the carbs coming pre/post workout (think TKD) with a short bout of IF thrown in (because AAS + ephedrine + BCAA's allow you to get away with a little IF and not hinder gains/fatloss). All my food will be coming from:
http://www.personaltrainerfood.com/
This is so I don't have to worry about my laziness/time restraints wrt meals/cooking/cleaning being a problem.

Okay, so what do we think of the routine I posted, and/or what do you recommend as a hardcore routine that is well-rounded and intense enough for someone on AAS/TRT?

Thanks, and I'm open to any suggestions and WILL listen/check them out.

SisterSteel
09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm not impressed by those programs and the layouts are horrible. Train the first 4 days and than rest the following 3. Not to mention the combinations like back and chest together.... really? You're going to bench after you pull heavy (deadlift)?

You need a no nonesense programs like 5x5 or Wendler's 5/3/1 BBB. Both are no bullshit programs that will have your bigger, strong, and no one will mistake you for someone who doesn't lift. Your program better have you deadlifting, squatting, benching, and overhead pressing. If it doesn't you're wasting your time.

Here's something else... you want to grow than EAT. I'd add more carbs than what you

SlevinsBrother
09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
I'll look at 5x5; I've seen and read about it before and never took the time... And carbs I will be keeping around the 130-150 mark. I don't have a lot more size to pack on as much as I do "that last ten lbs to lose" while maintaining the muscle I have. I am not following the nutrition outlined in that training article, if that's what you were thinking :)

But, I have some good news. I very respectable ex-marine that I met today just randomly went into his routine and training and wanted to train with me due to me being "his size". So I may come back on tomorrow with a very good routine to start on.

Fishman44
09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I second 531, very basic. Also look into shieko

SFDan
09-23-2013, 02:28 PM
There's a great program Mark Rippetoe has called Starting Strength. It's a book and you can download on Kindle, erc. Totally helped me. Great instruction on form with all the basic barbell lifts. All compound movements and transformational. You won't regret it. Similar in some ways to 5x5.

SlevinsBrother
09-23-2013, 02:41 PM
There's a great program Mark Rippetoe has called Starting Strength. It's a book and you can download on Kindle, erc. Totally helped me. Great instruction on form with all the basic barbell lifts. All compound movements and transformational. You won't regret it. Similar in some ways to 5x5.

SFDan; bought it, thanks.

What do you all think of this for a shoulder routine? I plan on doing exactly what is outlined in this video for shoulder day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BY7OlQqFk

SisterSteel
09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I second 531, very basic. Also look into shieko

Sheiko isn't a program for beginners. It's extremely high in volume and many can't handle it.

Fishman44
09-23-2013, 06:11 PM
OP did say he had 15 years under his belt. There is no perfect all inclusive program that fit my needs, I liked 531 but parts I didn't, right know I have someone write my programming due to my awfull ADD when it comes to programs. I would consider my current style high volume, it was brutal the first few weeks but after I adapted to the volume, the strength gains have been unreal.

SisterSteel
09-23-2013, 06:39 PM
OP did say he had 15 years under his belt. There is no perfect all inclusive program that fit my needs, I liked 531 but parts I didn't, right know I have someone write my programming due to my awfull ADD when it comes to programs. I would consider my current style high volume, it was brutal the first few weeks but after I adapted to the volume, the strength gains have been unreal.

Time alone doesn't dictate whether someone is a beginner or an advanced lifter. Someone could spend years in the gym and spin their wheels getting no where.

Most have no idea what it's like to train with the amount of volume that Sheiko demands.

Fishman44
09-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Very true, but I think in America we have gotten weak minded and to many people just want an "easy" way to reach their goals and dont want to put in the work and years that it takes to reach them. To me it's mind over matter, yes volume and the % can be brutal, but the body will adapt! That's the great thing about the human body is that it's capable of much much more than most people throw at it. Prolly this type of program is not what the OP wants/needs but whatever you choose just make sure to give it time to work.

zedhed
09-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Bro I love the Strong Lifts 5x5. Its very simple and extremely effective...BUT on any 5x5 program you MUST feed the program to get the benefit from it. So the take home lesson here is if you wanna do a 5x5 program your gonna get hella strong and put on muscle mass if you feed the program enough cals.