PDA

View Full Version : The Effects of Histamines on Bodybuilding

baby1
09-22-2013, 03:10 PM
My histamine level is in overdrive lately and many things that I put in my body or come in contact with give me a reaction. I came across this article and it is very informative. It is not good for the body when histamine levels get high.

Histamine, along with white blood cells and other body structures, provide a first-line defense against infection and injury. The body interprets bodybuilding as stress. Because of the effects of strength training, the body initiates an inflammatory response that involves histamine. This reaction helps the body recover from the rigors of bodybuilding.
Histamine

Certain white blood cells and other cells involved in the immune system contain this histamine. Injuries to cells or the presence of a pathogen may stimulate its release. A pathogen is a disease-causing micro-organism such as bacteria. The purpose of the response is to aid the body's recovery. To do so, it will cause the blood vessels to dilate which will increase blood flow. It will also increase the permeability of capillaries so white blood cells can get to the site of injury or infection.
advertisement

Damage and Repair

When you engage in bodybuilding, the exercise will cause tiny tears in your muscle fibers. Because cells are injured, histamine is released. The body interprets injury like an infection in that increased blood flow is necessary to aid the recovery process. The dilation of blood vessels will also assist the body in its removal of dead cells. A 2003 study by the Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine in Canada looked at the effects of strength training on white blood cell numbers. The researchers found that resistance training increased certain types of white blood cells called neutrophils, which also stimulate the release of histamine.
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

If you work out strenuously, your activity also may stimulate an inflammatory response that can result in delayed onset muscle soreness, known as DOMS. Typical symptoms include pain, redness, swelling and heat. The inflammatory response by the body is believed to be the cause of the pain you may feel the day after a vigorous workout. This response is considered nonspecific in that several things can trigger the body's actions. The symptoms are in part the result of histamine and its effects.
Reducing the Effects of Histamine

Because of the muscle fiber damage bodybuilding causes, histamine and its role in the inflammatory response are essential for proper recovery as the body attempts to restore homeostatis to the injured tissues. A proven method for relieving the effects of the inflammatory response has not been documented. A 2001 study by Auburn University in Georgia cautions against the use of non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin because of conflicting results on its effectiveness. One of the best ways to aid recovery is to work with the effects of histamine with light aerobic exercise to increase circulation to the damaged tissues.

Read more: The Effects Of Histamines On Bodybuilding | LIVESTRONG.COM

kazman68
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM
I take 25mg of benadryl every night.

zedhed
09-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Kaz you dont build up a resistance to it over time? I find that I do.

kazman68
09-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Kaz you dont build up a resistance to it over time? I find that I do.

I also take 1mg Klonopin- to help sleep...it's just habit anymore...

Encino_Mang
09-23-2013, 12:02 AM

50mg for me and muscle relaxers

Orange24
09-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Muscle relaxers do nothing for me. Flexeril was useless at 10mg

Ironguruera
09-23-2013, 12:42 AM
I also take 1mg Klonopin- to help sleep...it's just habit anymore...

Klonopin?

bdad
09-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Just got a script for Klonopin, its heaven sent.

baby1
09-23-2013, 06:59 AM

for sleeping?

bdad
09-23-2013, 08:43 AM
for sleeping?

Anxiety and sleep.

baby1
09-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Anxiety and sleep.

at bedtime only? I was prescribed it at bedtime for RestlesslEg syndrome. I dont take it very much though cause it makes me to sleep the following day. I didn even take what was rec ommended either. Klonopin is a slow acting benzo so it stays in your system longer, whereas, xanax is fast acting and works fast for the ose times when you need it too. Hope it helps you

bdad
09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Twice daily and one before bed. I have been sleeping better that I have in years.

baby1
09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Twice daily and one before bed. I have been sleeping better that I have in years.

That is good. The lack of sleep really kills me. I was recntly diagnosed with having siezures so the doc put me on an anti siezure med an THAT is helpingme sleep better. Sux getting old,lol

zacktodevski
10-13-2013, 12:54 AM
1mg enough for sleep ?

Ironguruera
10-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Ill
See where I can find some. I'm tired of rarely sleeping. 1mg huh?
Is it habit forming and induces crazy sleep walking like ambien etc??

baby1
10-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Ill

Yes it can be, it is a slower released benzo.

Applehead23
10-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Ill

It's VERY habit forming and has withdrawals when you stop taking it. It's an anxiety med.

Ironguruera
10-13-2013, 02:03 PM
It's VERY habit forming and has withdrawals when you stop taking it. It's an anxiety med.

Fuck that. I'm used to not sleeping. Natural shit is useless. I could take a bucket of valerian or melatonin....useless.....
Time to save for some gh

baby1
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Fuck that. I'm used to not sleeping. Natural shit is useless. I could take a bucket of valerian or melatonin....useless.....
Time to save for some gh

benedryl does nothing for you, huh?

Ironguruera
10-13-2013, 04:43 PM
benedryl does nothing for you, huh?

Maybe I haven't tried enough? I've tried 25-35 mg.
should I try 50-75?

baby1
10-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Maybe I haven't tried enough? I've tried 25-35 mg.
should I try 50-75?

hmm, I am not sure what is the highest does one can consume? It sucks having that sleep issue. My husbnad has it too. Do you fall alseep for a bit then wake up for hours? Or no sleep at all?

Applehead23
10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
How about a shitload of intense cardio before bed?

Ironguruera
10-13-2013, 07:18 PM
hmm, I am not sure what is the highest does one can consume? It sucks having that sleep issue. My husbnad has it too. Do you fall alseep for a bit then wake up for hours? Or no sleep at all?

I fall asleep easy but seem to wake up then the tossing and turning starts.

Ironguruera
10-13-2013, 07:19 PM
How about a shitload of intense cardio before bed?

What is this cardio u speak of? U mean like sex? It's hard to come by these days lol.

Applehead23
10-13-2013, 08:18 PM
What is this cardio u speak of? U mean like sex? It's hard to come by these days lol.

Hahaha, good point.

Ironguruera
10-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Hahaha, good point.

I hate cardio other then bicycling or hiking...but my favorite is def sex lol.

baby1
10-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I hate cardio other then bicycling or hiking...but my favorite is def sex lol.

Well there you go,lol, if it puts you to sleep then that would be the best medicine :)

SisterSteel
10-13-2013, 10:58 PM

You know benadryl keeps your receptors fresh when running clen. It allows you to run it for longer periods and keep it effective at burning fat stores.

Ironguruera
10-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Well there you go,lol, if it puts you to sleep then that would be the best medicine :)

Tell the baby to stop cock blocking me then lmao! It's like sleeping with a gremlin in the bed with the noises the baby makes lol. I'm a light sleeper.

I've been sleeping in the other room this past week but its not helping much.

baby1
04-23-2014, 07:46 AM
ttt with this great info on histamines

Lujannoe
04-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Sex before bed usually knocks me right out. :-D but when thats not an option 10mg melatonin and 25 mg benadryl. BAM out like a light.

The Noe

baby1
04-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Sex before bed usually knocks me right out. :-D but when thats not an option 10mg melatonin and 25 mg benadryl. BAM out like a light.

The Noe

So lots of melatonin and benadryl lately huh,lol

Lujannoe
04-23-2014, 02:14 PM
So lots of melatonin and benadryl lately huh,lol

Ha, no mam I was fortunate to have a significant other who wants it more than me... well till I blast then im on par with her. :)

The Noe

baby1
04-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Ha, no mam I was fortunate to have a significant other who wants it more than me... well till I blast then im on par with her. :)

The Noe

lol, I am just teasin you. I guess that would mean you are a lucky man

Lujannoe
04-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Oh i know hon. But i am The luckiest!!! Considering my normal libido is unaturally high. Test just amplifies 10 fold.

The Noe

baby1
08-16-2014, 07:20 PM
ttt for good info

Ironguruera
08-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Oh i know hon. But i am The luckiest!!! Considering my normal libido is unaturally high. Test just amplifies 10 fold.

The Noe

Same boat here....I'm a freak on nothing. On gear it's ridiculous.