PDA

View Full Version : How to warm up knees on leg day?

Ironguruera
10-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I usually do some leg stretching, hams, quads etc. what is a good knee warm up? The golds I was going to had a front squat machine and if I used that to warm up my knees felt great. I don't go to that gym anymore. Got way to damn crowded.

Anything else my knees feel shitty when I train quads. Besides the stretching I was also doing like 3-4 sets of body weight squats like 20-30 reps per set before I'd start with weight.

Any help is appreciated. Time to get back after quads and hams.

prc603
10-22-2013, 09:54 PM
i wrap mine i wool leg warmers. end of comment.

prc603
10-22-2013, 09:56 PM
well, you could try light hack squats? i think that what they are called? bar balanced across the front on your delts. you of course hold on to the bar cross grip is easiest.

Ironguruera
10-22-2013, 10:00 PM
well, you could try light hack squats? i think that what they are called? bar balanced across the front on your delts. you of course hold on to the bar cross grip is easiest.

That's a front squat.....I actually do hold my arms crossed out in front just no bar.
Hack sled squats are on the 45 deg machine that has pads on your shoulders and u slide up and down. Plates are loaded onto the arms
Off the pads resting on your shoulders.

MuscleAddiction
10-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Exercise bike for 10-15 minutes at level 5-10, Zed also told me to grab neoprene knee sleeves.

SisterSteel
10-22-2013, 10:14 PM

A dynamic warm up would be better suited for warming up than performing a lift to warm up the knees.

And like Ironguruera said that's a front squat. There's a thread in here with detailed description in how to perform the movement.

Ironguruera
10-22-2013, 10:25 PM
A dynamic warm up would be better suited for warming up than performing a lift to warm up the knees.

And like Ironguruera said that's a front squat. There's a thread in here with detailed description in how to perform the movement.

Sis what's dynamic warm up? What do u like doing to warm up knees?

Hmm stationary bike huh? That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Bike riding never bothers my knees

SisterSteel
10-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Sis what's dynamic warm up? What do u like doing to warm up knees?

A dynamic warm-up coordinates all of your moving parts muscles, ligaments, and joints all at once because that's what you ask of yourself when you train.

Here are some movements you can perform to help "warm up" your knees: high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, etc.. to help ready your body to lift. You should also foam roll and perform some mobility work to.

Warming up should be 10-15minutes in length before you ever touch a bar in my opinion. You can also work on breathing techniques as part of your warm up. Most people know how to push against their belt in the front but can you expand your core even in the back? You should be able to expand it 360 degrees.

prc603
10-22-2013, 10:56 PM
oh word. yeah my golds does not have that machine. we got a leg press and a curling rack. i say curling rack because me and two others actualy use this thing for squats.

zedhed
10-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Agree with MA. Excersize bike. Tension set to very easy and pedal around 80 RPM. 15 mins or so should do you just fine.

Ironguruera
10-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Agree with MA. Excersize bike. Tension set to very easy and pedal around 80 RPM. 15 mins or so should do you just fine.

I like the sounds of this and will do exactly that. I'm also going to try some foam rolling before also.

drkmn1
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
When I was doing martial arts a lifetime ago, we would lightly jog around the dojo and literally rub our knees (kinda like a light massage) to get 'em warmed up before we started throwing each other around the room. Still use that warm-up to this day... foam rolling sounds like a good idea too, but personally I use that more for sore days than as a warm up

Ironguruera
10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Fitness Marketing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82gp6_ZoDw)

Hey Ricky is that your feeble attempts at marketing you learned from watching that stellar video?
Go spam somewhere else u stupid fuck!
Ps eat my ass ;)

MuscleAddiction
10-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Hey Ricky is that your feeble attempts at marketing you learned from watching that stellar video?
Go spam somewhere else u stupid fuck!
Ps eat my ass ;)

He gone!!!

Ironguruera
10-27-2013, 07:54 PM
He gone!!!

Thanks chief!

Ironguruera
11-10-2013, 02:22 AM
I tried the bicycle warmup. Worked great!

Went to the movies with my wife and my knees/mcl tendons didn't bring me to tears. Felt fine!

So far so good! 30" wheels by x mas lol.