PDA

View Full Version : How much should I be lifting?

Hadz94
10-31-2013, 02:53 AM
Hey guys,
So I have signed up for a gym and everything, been doing some weights and feeling a but of a burn but feel like I may not be lifting the right amount.. I weigh 75kg and fairly strong upper body but not sure how much I should be doing..
Also how many reps?

SisterSteel
10-31-2013, 10:21 AM
There is no amount someone should be lifting at a certain weight. We start somewhere and you build yourself from there.

Now, I do think you should have a well laid out program to help build your base so that you can continue to make progress over the long haul but to come on and say I'm 165lbs... how much should I lift? That's not something that can be answered. There is no set amount.

I'd recommend 5x5 for a place to start to help build your base or 5/3/1.

Ironguruera
10-31-2013, 10:30 AM
That is the most individually based thing ever!
My buddy can bench 365 flat back feet pointing at the sky...no spot. Benches 465 feet on the floor and makes it look easy. Seated presses 315.
Even juiced to the gills I can't dream of catching him. Granted he outweighs me by 40lbs or more at times....but he is just naturally extremely strong.

Strength/powerlifting is much different style of training then bodybuilding.

For bodybuilding usually rep schemes are around 8-12 for most exercises to achieve hypertrophy aka muscle growth. Yes u can and will get stronger with a bodybuilding style routine but not like a powerlifting regiment will!!

How many sets is also depending on training level and personal ability. as well as goals. When I'm trying to lean out I keep weight down a tad and do lots of supersets and keep rest down. If I'm bulking I do more mass moves and more rest. Less sets.

drkmn1
10-31-2013, 12:18 PM
As a rule of thumb, I'll tell someone to lower the weight if you can't do 6 reps, or add weight if you can do more than 12 reps. Very open explanation, but I've noticed that if I start throwing all kinds of info at someone, they'll realistically only remember maybe 10%. :confused: So I try to at least give someone a starting point...

ineedtogrow
10-31-2013, 10:17 PM
As a rule of thumb, I'll tell someone to lower the weight if you can't do 6 reps, or add weight if you can do more than 12 reps. Very open explanation, but I've noticed that if I start throwing all kinds of info at someone, they'll realistically only remember maybe 10%. :confused: So I try to at least give someone a starting point...
For me, if I struggle getting to the 6th rep then I think its perfect. If I hit 7 then I'll add more weight. That's the way I like to do it, but I also ONLY do drop sets.

SisterSteel
10-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Rep schemes are dependent of the person's goals. If someone wants to get strong they need to perform lower rep, heavier weight sets meaning singles, doubles, and triples. If you don't train your CNS to handle heavy weights you'll never handle heavy weights. Also, you don't have to perform high rep sets to build size.

prc603
11-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Hey guys,
So I have signed up for a gym and everything, been doing some weights and feeling a but of a burn but feel like I may not be lifting the right amount.. I weigh 75kg and fairly strong upper body but not sure how much I should be doing..
Also how many reps?
lift it all. every single one of them. then stack some on each other. lift that. twice.

Ironguruera
11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
lift it all. every single one of them. then stack some on each other. lift that. twice.

Lmfao!! I was going to post up the ct fletcher vids off YouTube.

How many reps should I do? "Until u can't do no god damn more" ---CT fletcher.

prc603
11-03-2013, 12:56 PM
ct is the man. did you see the prison work out one? buncha Einstein 'sposin motha fuckas. i peed i laughed so hard

Ironguruera
11-03-2013, 02:31 PM
ct is the man. did you see the prison work out one? buncha Einstein 'sposin motha fuckas. i peed i laughed so hard

Lol no I haven't. I love the mount bicepious one. Or addicted to iron.

SisterSteel
11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Personally, I think CT Fletcher has become a joke. A mere shell of his former self. Just look at those laughable knee bends he calls squats nowadays. Most don't know the old CT who was quite the drug free raw bencher.

Ironguruera
11-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Personally, I think CT Fletcher has become a joke. A mere shell of his former self. Just look at those laughable knee bends he calls squats nowadays. Most don't know the old CT who was quite the drug free raw bencher.

Yeah he was a beast of power lifter in his day. He changed his lifestyle and eating habits when he had a heart attack.
Think he standing bicep curled 225....strict as hell too in his heyday!

I just think he is funny as hell. I do like his intensity and how he pushes guys but I feel he grossly lets their form
Go to utter shit. It's one thing to put a little swing to some things as long as the target muscle is still being targeted and controlling the weight vs sloppy swinging.

AnalogMan
11-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Love it bro............................AnalogMan
Lmfao!! I was going to post up the ct fletcher vids off YouTube.

How many reps should I do? "Until u can't do no god damn more" ---CT fletcher.