PDA

View Full Version : Different style of barbell?

drkmn1
11-06-2013, 05:14 PM
At the risk of sounding like a dummy, I gotta ask. You know what they say, there are no dumb questions, only dumb people who ask questions... :D

My gym has this barbell thats got a weird shape to it, kinda like a " --u-- " type style. I would think (if you're squatting with it) it would lower your center of gravity. Anyone use these and is that what they're for? How much different is it than using a traditional olympic bar (for squats)? I can't seem to find anything online about this thing...

Encino_Mang
11-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Mike McDonald used a chambered bench bar. Fred Hatfield used a safety squat bar......both had a U in the middle of the bar

Beavis303
11-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Wish my gym would spend some cash on nice equipment. Those bars rock. Just good to have options.

prc603
11-06-2013, 10:52 PM
ive always heard of these U shaped bars and they apparently are used for bench press? i guess the idea is that the U lets you go past your chest at the bottom of your press. but i always thought this to be a bunch of BS. I feel like the U would flip drilling it into your chest.

drkmn1
11-07-2013, 01:56 PM
"Chambered bench bar" ... OK, now i'm getting some hits on google. Sounds like it's got a couple different uses. I may have to give it a try on my next workout. We have one with a deep pocket and one thats not-so-deep. I'm curious to see how it would affect by bench press...

Thanks

drkmn1
11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
"my bench press" damn fat fingers!

zedhed
11-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Using that type of bar for BP I would be very concerned about shoulder injuries, due to the extreme ROM.

Fuelfan
11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I use one of those bars all the time for seated shrugs. Works great!

Fit Guru
11-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I'll be honest. I've been around a long time and seen these at many gyms and not once seen anyone actually use them.and I've been around a ton of power lifters .

JerseyDevil
11-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I'll be honest. I've been around a long time and seen these at many gyms and not once seen anyone actually use them.and I've been around a ton of power lifters .I noticed the same thing. No one seems to use them.

drkmn1
11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I use one of those bars all the time for seated shrugs. Works great!

Yea, I hadn't thought of shrugs... I'm one of those guys that has a hard time doing shrugs comfortably. Worth giving it a shot. Oh, and I did notice there was a fair amount of dust on those bars when I saw 'em. Shoulders and traps tomorrow, I'll see how it goes...

SisterSteel
12-22-2013, 11:09 PM
How big is the bend? It could be a cambered bar or it could be a buffalo bar.

The bar pitches you forward which makes you really focus on keeping your upper back tight so you don't hunch over and cause you to miss a lift.

There are many bars that powerlifters use; buffalo bar, cambered bar, safety squat bar, football bar, and of course bench, squat, and deadlift bars.

drkmn1
12-24-2013, 01:11 PM
We have the cambered bars and safety squat bars. Tried the cambered bar with some low weight on some bench press reps (bad idea) but it puts too much stress on my shoulders... Worked pretty good for squatting though.. Will knock the dust off and use 'em every now and then to add some variety

SisterSteel
12-24-2013, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't recommend using a cambered bar when benching. Using dumbbells increase the range of motion of the lift in comparison to a regular bench bar.