PDA

View Full Version : So I went and did it…I injured myself deadlifting.

My dick in a box
12-21-2013, 04:56 AM
I recently started doing deads again so I was slowly making my way back up the weight rack. I was doing good, pull about 85% of my 1RM, I'm good and golden from bottom of the pull to top and at the very top I remembered to keep and make sure everything was tight so I squeezed my shoulder blades together probably pushing my chest out making me lean back a bit more and then I heard it *snap* or kinda like a crunching sound like when you bite the cartilage off a chicken bone. It shocked my whole body, and I let the weight down slowly while trying to breathe.

It felt like I could only breathe half way before feeling more pain.

I put everything away playing it off the best I could and was pissed that I injured myself that I had to just finish with the rest of my pull day so I did finished up a decent bicep work out and left with my tail between my legs.

So now I'm hurting, in the middle of my spine, it hurts to drive, to sit, to walk, to breathe. I can bare it but it's annoying. I think the disappointment hurts more at the moment though.

Ironguruera
12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Shit that sucks bro! I don't do deads anymore. I have herniated discs and I pay for it when I do them.

Are u going to get it checked out?

zedhed
12-21-2013, 01:29 PM
I feel your pain bro. It just sucks so bad to be injured. Hope the best for you bro.

SFDan
12-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Go get it checked out buddy- you don't want to make it worse by not knowing what's going on. Sucks big time.

My dick in a box
12-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll go get it checked out, but should I go to my pcp or like a chiropractor since he deals with spines and alignment etc?

I might be foolish to ask this but should I keep lifting as long as I can handle it? No deads of course or should I just rest everything?

Ironguruera
12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll go get it checked out, but should I go to my pcp or like a chiropractor since he deals with spines and alignment etc?

I might be foolish to ask this but should I keep lifting as long as I can handle it? No deads of course or should I just rest everything?

While I am an advocate of chiropractors IMHO u need a MRI and at least an X-ray to truly see what's going on. Last thing u wanna do is see a chiro if shit is damaged....u can do more damage then help by getting adjusted.

MuscleAddiction
12-21-2013, 05:10 PM
While I am an advocate of chiropractors IMHO u need a MRI and at least an X-ray to truly see what's going on. Last thing u wanna do is see a chiro if shit is damaged....u can do more damage then help by getting adjusted.

^^^ this!!! Picture says 1000 words!!! Gives chiro an idea how to treat.

SisterSteel
12-22-2013, 10:45 PM
It's hard to say what you may have done without knowing all the specifics. It sounds to me like you popped the cartilage in between your ribs. It's pretty common with lifters especially if you're wearing a belt very tight. You still want to get it looked it though.

Also, you should have your shoulders "back" when you pull. You shouldn't finish the pull by extending your back. You finish your pull by shooting your hips. A very big difference.

chrisotpherm
12-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Mri man. Chiropractor are good for putting things back in place, however without physical therapy and tightening around the injured area a chiropractor will be a continual visit that will eventually leave you lame. As every time something pops back into the initial injury area so to speak it will create a bigger pocket and eventually a disabling injury. Physical therapy tightens up and rehabs the injured area. Will never be the same but better than not walking.

mj_0360
12-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Injuries suck! You gotta go to Dr befote lifting again, you don't want to hurt yourself even more.

JerseyDevil
12-24-2013, 09:24 AM
You definitely need to have it checked out before lifting again. A MRI is what you need. Hopefully Sister Steel is right. I messed up the cartilage between my ribs years ago, and everyonce in awhile I reinjure it. It does feel like a pop, and it hurts for a few days. PITA but way better than a herniated disc.

drkmn1
12-24-2013, 01:00 PM
You definitely need to have it checked out before lifting again. A MRI is what you need. Hopefully Sister Steel is right. I messed up the cartilage between my ribs years ago, and everyonce in awhile I reinjure it. It does feel like a pop, and it hurts for a few days. PITA but way better than a herniated disc.

X2

As someone who struggles with reoccurring back issues, get the MRI. With me, the initial pain is followed up by the real pain 2-3 days down the road. IMO it'll better gauge how serious you may have injured yourself, but either way a trip to the doc is definitely in order....

My dick in a box
12-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all of you concerns guys and gals. I probably should've read this thread sooner because I rested for the 2 days over the weekend and did my push work out yesterday and pull today. It's deload week for me so everything is much lighter.

All this MRI talk is freaking me out now, I haven't had insurance in months and wont have any probably for another month but once I do I'll have to get it checked out.

Here's an update though. The pain went from a 7-8 the night of the injury down to 3-4 the next 2 days (weekend) and down to almost nothing for yesterday and today. I can still feel a little something in that spot if I lean side ways far enough but bending front or back is fine.

I felt fine lifting for the past 2 days, just a little scared but I know I won't be doing deads for a while…or ever..:sad face:

But do you guys think I should just stop and wait to get an MRI or go by how I feel?

Ironguruera
12-25-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks for all of you concerns guys and gals. I probably should've read this thread sooner because I rested for the 2 days over the weekend and did my push work out yesterday and pull today. It's deload week for me so everything is much lighter.

All this MRI talk is freaking me out now, I haven't had insurance in months and wont have any probably for another month but once I do I'll have to get it checked out.

Here's an update though. The pain went from a 7-8 the night of the injury down to 3-4 the next 2 days (weekend) and down to almost nothing for yesterday and today. I can still feel a little something in that spot if I lean side ways far enough but bending front or back is fine.

I felt fine lifting for the past 2 days, just a little scared but I know I won't be doing deads for a while…or ever..:sad face:

But do you guys think I should just stop and wait to get an MRI or go by how I feel?

I'd drop deads for sure and go by how u feel until u get insurance. If it totally goes away in the next few weeks after dropping deads....then restart deads and see how u feel.

IMHO if u did deads today and didn't fall over in crushing pain....u are probably ok. That said I'm no fucking dr!!

I just know my idiot buddy jumped into a shallow lake on the day before his wedding. He tweaked his neck and shoulder good! Pinched nerves etc. after the wedding when we worked out he literally fell to the floor in utter pain! I was worried cause u could beat him stupid and he wouldn't bow out until
U knocked him out or killed him type of guy....the fact he bowed out told
Me he really fucked himself
Up!! He has had an MRI and oddly they didn't find much. He still can't swim
Or lift comfortably...

Point is the fact u lifted again and so soon and it went pretty good is a good sign to me.

I'd still drop deads and let the body heal.

My dick in a box
12-25-2013, 05:46 AM
I'd drop deads for sure and go by how u feel until u get insurance. If it totally goes away in the next few weeks after dropping deads....then restart deads and see how u feel.

IMHO if u did deads today and didn't fall over in crushing pain....u are probably ok. That said I'm no fucking dr!!

I just know my idiot buddy jumped into a shallow lake on the day before his wedding. He tweaked his neck and shoulder good! Pinched nerves etc. after the wedding when we worked out he literally fell to the floor in utter pain! I was worried cause u could beat him stupid and he wouldn't bow out until
U knocked him out or killed him type of guy....the fact he bowed out told
Me he really fucked himself
Up!! He has had an MRI and oddly they didn't find much. He still can't swim
Or lift comfortably...

Point is the fact u lifted again and so soon and it went pretty good is a good sign to me.

I'd still drop deads and let the body heal.

Dang that's sucks for your bud. Sounds pretty damn serious and from just jumping in a lake? He didn't hit anything?

I didn't do deads today but I did do bent over rows and felt fine. I did pick it off the ground like a dead though but it wasn't nearly as heavy as when I injured myself. But the motion was there I guess..

Ironguruera
12-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Lol he hit the bottom of the lake with his fucking face! He was drunk and being an idiot. He face was all scuffed up for his wedding.

zedhed
12-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Man that is a scary thing. Doing a face plant on the bottom of a pool or lake. He was lucky. Didnt kill him or paralize him.

Ironguruera
12-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Man that is a scary thing. Doing a face plant on the bottom of a pool or lake. He was lucky. Didnt kill him or paralize him.

He is like my dog...u could hit him in the head with a brick and u would break your hand with the brick and they would be fucking fine somehow.