PDA

View Full Version : Training through pain. Why???

chrisotpherm
01-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Ok all of us have or arr doing it now. Why do we do it? Are we getting paid to step on stage? Is there a meet coming up? Are you on an Olympic team? Some may be in here that compete on stage however most of us are just gym rats with to much prods and pride running through us to take a knee amd heal. Again why?

I've been here myself however the older I get the more im paying for those younger mistakes with chronic to didn't heal back right injuries.

With any injury there is a time period that is needed in order for a pained site to heal. This is entirely dependent upon the severity and location of the injury. However none of us are doctors or physical therapist so why do we play Russian roulette with our bodies? We make decisions based upon how we "feel" but are unable to see the real issue at hand.

I know and understand to be hard to take a break and rest as I myself hear that little gremlin calling me a chump and your going to loose all you worked so hard to obtain. However the voice of wisdom quickly smoothest that out and I go to the doc. Im very thankful after a visit as I either learn more or confirm my recovery period.

Here is a chart from the American college of sports medicine that proves to be simple but helpful.
http://forms.acsm.org/TPC/PDFs/38%20Gillespie.pdf
It outlines not only injury periods but that of what is best to use for pinpointing an injury to rehilbilation.

We have to put aside our stage pride and allow humility to heal our bodies. We have one shot at this body and once its all over I pray im still walking than strolling in a wheelchair.

Encino_Mang
01-03-2014, 08:00 PM
I messed my shoulder up almost 25 years ago........I was a dumbass trying to work thought it ended up going to a orthopedic surgeon did the PT, didn't help, scope didn't work, the last try was he shaved a little of my collarbone......I wished I would have just laid off it and recovered......may have been all that was needed who knows.

The problem is I'm a miserable SOB when I can't train

MuscleAddiction
01-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Tendinitis for me, mostly in right elbow area, but also last time I got ready for a competition the leaner I got, the worse it got. Had electro stim done by my chiro up to my show which helped. I am going to seek some PT for it sooner than later as it does hinder my training. Understanding what you are saying BFAM, but also if I don't train it will be worse mentally and physically...it is my sanctuary, my serenity, when some go to AA meetings for their sobriety, or NA for drug abuse, or even to talk to a therapist...the iron is my therapist, and I will train through some discomfort more than I probably should, but I also ice, massage, and take care of it and healing properties as well...try to balance per say. Thanks for being my conscience bro ;).

SisterSteel
01-03-2014, 09:00 PM
This is why I always preach that everyone should schedule a recovery week periodically in their training. Depending on your goals you may want to take them every 4 weeks or instead you may want to take them further apart like every 8 - 12 weeks.

chrisotpherm
01-04-2014, 01:02 AM
I messed my shoulder up almost 25 years ago........I was a dumbass trying to work thought it ended up going to a orthopedic surgeon did the PT, didn't help, scope didn't work, the last try was he shaved a little of my collarbone......I wished I would have just laid off it and recovered......may have been all that was needed who knows.

The problem is I'm a miserable SOB when I can't train

This I understand brother. However you can always train the areas that are not injured. I know it's not 100% training but your in your gym where you know you belong and can at least have some sense of serenity while your there.

Tendinitis for me, mostly in right elbow area, but also last time I got ready for a competition the leaner I got, the worse it got. Had electro stim done by my chiro up to my show which helped. I am going to seek some PT for it sooner than later as it does hinder my training. Understanding what you are saying BFAM, but also if I don't train it will be worse mentally and physically...it is my sanctuary, my serenity, when some go to AA meetings for their sobriety, or NA for drug abuse, or even to talk to a therapist...the iron is my therapist, and I will train through some discomfort more than I probably should, but I also ice, massage, and take care of it and healing properties as well...try to balance per say. Thanks for being my conscience bro ;).

I feel you bro. The gym is my office and I work at my job. I am absolutely in love to our lifestyle. Not only does it promote a good and healthy life but allows me to let go of all the stress. It's tough to stop when your so close to a goal, however that goal won't do anything for you when your injury stops all future dreams. You are a great guy my brother and am glad to call you brother.

This is why I always preach that everyone should schedule a recovery week periodically in their training. Depending on your goals you may want to take them every 4 weeks or instead you may want to take them further apart like every 8 - 12 weeks.

PREACH SIS, PREACCHHHH. This was one of the hardest things I had to make myself do during a hardcore training regime, however when I finally did it was so grateful and the reward was amazing results.

MuscleAddiction
01-04-2014, 01:26 AM

Oh I will...sometimes the wife and my schedule gives us unscheduled days off, so yes rest days are taken and aches and pains are addressed.

Encino_Mang
01-04-2014, 07:21 AM
This I understand brother. However you can always train the areas that are not injured. I know it's not 100% training but your in your gym where you know you belong and can at least have some sense of serenity while your there.

I know.......I should have just trained ledge for a few months.

Ironguruera
01-04-2014, 12:42 PM

You know sis I usually just use my vacations for this and it's served me well. I just hit a new PR on bench after taking x mas week off. Felt really good !!

Never forget guys we grow when we have full bellies and sleeping. Gotta let the body rest.

I stay away from moves that hurt. I used to love skull crushers and other tricep moves but they kill me. Plenty other ways to hit tris so I change it up.

If it hurts when u are doing it....stop! I had the pleasure of speaking with Larry Scott about the bodies histamine response while training. Smart man!

Rest is your friend!

Encino_Mang
01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
I know.......I should have just trained ledge for a few months.

Ummm that should said legs......just lay off upper body all together.......it's not like my legs are brutally huge or anything.

chrisotpherm
01-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Oh I will...sometimes the wife and my schedule gives us unscheduled days off, so yes rest days are taken and aches and pains are addressed.

You know sis I usually just use my vacations for this and it's served me well. I just hit a new PR on bench after taking x mas week off. Felt really good !!

Never forget guys we grow when we have full bellies and sleeping. Gotta let the body rest.

I stay away from moves that hurt. I used to love skull crushers and other tricep moves but they kill me. Plenty other ways to hit tris so I change it up.

If it hurts when u are doing it....stop! I had the pleasure of speaking with Larry Scott about the bodies histamine response while training. Smart man!

Rest is your friend!

Great advice and wisdom here brother.

chrisotpherm
01-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Ummm that should said legs......just lay off upper body all together.......it's not like my legs are brutally huge or anything.

All good man. Legs can be one of the most difficult body part for some to grow. Genes usually dictates how fast or slow they grow.

Ironguruera
01-04-2014, 05:28 PM
All good man. Legs can be one of the most difficult body part for some to grow. Genes usually dictates how fast or slow they grow.

Funny how some body parts are so damn stubborn and seem to respond to nothing.
My calves I can punish relentlessly with little reward. My quads grow like weeds in 3 training sessions....

SisterSteel
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM

I'm not talking about taking a day off here and there. I'm talking about a scheduled week of lighter than normal training to give the mind and body a break.

chrisotpherm
01-04-2014, 07:50 PM
My calves I can punish relentlessly with little reward. My quads grow like weeds in 3 training sessions....

Can be extremely frustrating for sure. Even some of the pro's have issues with body parts. Thats why some use so much synthol.

zedhed
01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Going along with this subject, epsome salt baths really do benefit those in pain. The salts actually do absorbe thru the skin. Also stay away from sugar. Sugar promotes inflamation as does red meat.

chrisotpherm
01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Going along with this subject, epsome salt baths really do benefit those in pain. The salts actually do absorbe thru the skin. Also stay away from sugar. Sugar promotes inflamation as does red meat.

Great post man.

zedhed
01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
:cool:

MuscleAddiction
01-05-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm not talking about taking a day off here and there. I'm talking about a scheduled week of lighter than normal training to give the mind and body a break.

Gotcha Sis...yeah may need to schedule it sooner than later.

MuscleAddiction
01-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Both for me are stubborn as hell!!! Except Zed's program did do then justice.

zedhed
01-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Also too much AI in your system can cause joint pain.

chrisotpherm
01-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Also too much AI in your system can cause joint pain.

Very true. Armidex especially as it can cause osteoporosis